• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Wellman do?

What will Wellman choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Siena's AD seems to understand the way things work:

LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. -- Siena fired coach Mitch Buonaguro on Tuesday after an 8-24 record this season that tied the school record for losses.

Buonaguro went 35-59 in three seasons with the Saints, never finishing a season with a winning record or in the top half of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

The three-year slide immediately followed the most successful three-year run in school history. Siena won MAAC titles in 2008, 2009 and 2010 -- all under coach Fran McCaffery, with Buonaguro his top assistant.

"This change isn't being made for lack of effort," Siena athletic director John D'Argenio said. "Basketball is important in the strategic direction of Siena. We have high expectations and aspirations for this program."

The school said a search for a successor has started.

Agreed. It always comes down to politics and money.

Unfortunately, the real money involved in Wake athletics has for some reason bought into Buzz. They got taken for a ride on the culture super highway and Kim Ron Il is driving the bus. Also, the only politics Wellman cares about is the BOT, and they've discussed an extension within the last month and a half, so I doubt things have changed so drastically that they're ready to fire anybody. This is arguably the most insane, frustrating, ridiculous thing I've ever experienced in being a fan of any team. I think it shows how dangerous it can be to have all the power in the hands of so few.

There's a storm coming, Mr. Wellman. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.

There's a storm coming, Mr. Wellman. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.

Possible Wellman response a la' Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat Cake"....

If this is so, the revolution will soon begin...

i am still convinced bzz is not going anywhere. the deafening silence from ronnie is because people would throw flaming bags of poop at him if he actually mentioned bzz being back. he can't mention it in public without looking like an idiot. he has to know that is the perception at this point. he does not care but he is avoiding the topic. i am also convinced if he can get the buy in bzz gets an extension for "recruiting purposes."

only chance bzz is not back is if he resigns/retires etc.

please, god, let me be wrong.

He'll be back next year with the underlying reason that Wellman will let Bz have 2 years with his prize recruits to see if they will make the difference and truly turn things around. Post-season will, however, be expected--bubble team and onto the NIT at worst. Although 3 years is ordinarily enough, the circumstances of Bz's first year were somewhat bizarre and Wellman will not want to be seen as not giving his coach enough time to do what he asked him to do with his own players--especially after the outside world already didn't understand why he let Dino go. In retrospect, he should have let Dino have one year with his so-called prize recruits before letting him go. If Dino hadn't fared any better than Bz in that year, then Bz or anybody else would have had some leeway when they took over.

He'll be back next year with the underlying reason that Wellman will let Bz have 2 years with his prize recruits to see if they will make the difference and truly turn things around. Post-season will, however, be expected--bubble team and onto the NIT at worst. Although 3 years is ordinarily enough, the circumstances of Bz's first year were somewhat bizarre and Wellman will not want to be seen as not giving his coach enough time to do what he asked him to do with his own players--especially after the outside world already didn't understand why he let Dino go. In retrospect, he should have let Dino have one year with his so-called prize recruits before letting him go. If Dino hadn't fared any better than Bz in that year, then Bz or anybody else would have had some leeway when they took over.

The "circumstances" may have been "bizarre" but they should not have been unexpected. Buzz did exactly what he did at Colorado. He ran everybody off.

Under Dino, those "prize recruits" would have performed much differently. The team would not have been Buzz-level bad. It would have been a normal rebuilding year with some failure, but also with some success. And I fully believe that many of the personal failures of the players under Buzz were the result of Buzz's massive failure as a leader of young men. I think Dino learned enough from Skip that he could (and would) have made a difference.

The ACC & the Big Ten moving forward will be by far the 2 Elite conferences in the NCAA & the opportunity to coach in either league has to be a very attractive proposition to potential coaches. To think of the possible openings in the 2 leagues, Wake has a golden opportunity to cash in on this NOW (they could be the best opening in the 2 leagues by far) & another year of yuck will just bury the program deeper than it has been in maybe forever.

The "circumstances" may have been "bizarre" but they should not have been unexpected. Buzz did exactly what he did at Colorado. He ran everybody off.

Under Dino, those "prize recruits" would have performed much differently. The team would not have been Buzz-level bad. It would have been a normal rebuilding year with some failure, but also with some success. And I fully believe that many of the personal failures of the players under Buzz were the result of Buzz's massive failure as a leader of young men. I think Dino learned enough from Skip that he could (and would) have made a difference.

Maybe that's a way to think of the whole three-year experience: not bizarre, but Bzz-arre

Back