• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Manning Gets Fired

I think people can look at the big picture and recognize both things:

Wake is better than we have been. We definitely should be better than we have been because [Redacted] was straight trash. Doesn't matter we are where we need to be. This will take time, how much time? That's the debate.

Danny Manning needs to improve on his in-game coaching and substitution patterns, as they are a glaring weakness and possibly costing us (they are certainly not a positive).

We are hindered in the subbing (which could improve) by our lack of depth and JC's foul trouble. We don't have a lot of latitude.

We are hindered in the subbing (which could improve) by our lack of depth and JC's foul trouble. We don't have a lot of latitude.

I agree with this.

We go a ton of time without 2 of Crawford/Woods/Collins on the court, and it should really never happen at all.

The harsh reality of it is that Childress should be getting less than 10 minutes of PT, yet he continues to get 17-20 minutes of playing time. Some of that is because Crawford continues to make stupid plays, but Chill has killed us lately. Hate to say it because I think he will help out, but he needs to sit more for now.

Mitch has found a good role defensively and hitting threes, we can give any minutes that Crawford can't play right now to Mitch. He at least doesn't turn the ball over very frequently or shoot bad shots.

Might help if Keyshawn Woods stops missing the front end of 1 and 1s... Love him, but just saying.

Manning's only real chance is to recruit his way out of this mess. He is not going to take a bunch of top 150 guys and turn them into a cohesive team. He, like the majority of coaches out there, is only going to be as good as the talent on the team.

If getting Brown represents a new trend for Wake, Manning will be fine. If Brown is the high-water mark and we end up with another 2016 class in 2018, Manning will not be long for Wake Forest.

He is probably not going to be a championship coach for us. But even if he gets to a point that Wake is consistently in the top half of the ACC, that will be fine for the time being.

Then again, Nebraska, yes, Nebraska, did essentially the same thing to Mark Turgeon @ MD this weekend (MD blew a 12 point lead in the final minutes by being outscored 14-0 to end the game). So, going scoreless for the final 10 possessions does happen to other schools or maybe it's just a Kansas/Larry Brown disciple thing.

Maybe worse than losing that particular game in the fashion we did is the fact that it was noted during the broadcast that we'd lost 7 of the last 8 matchups to Clemson. Now I guess it's 8 of the last 9. That's embarrassing and shows how pathetic our program has become and how we have allowed historically mediocre Clemson to develop such a dominant mindset against us as to enable such improbable heroics.

Everyone is saying how much better we are in Manning's third year...ok I agree.

Having said that what's DM's Wake career conference road record again?

The biggest thing for our subbing is to get JC up to 30 mpg. I'd like to see Danny go K on this squad and play Bryant, Keyshawn and JC 32 mpg. We muct have two of the three on the court at all times, barring foul trouble. Somehow Dinos needs to sack up and be able to play 30 mpg.

We should have an extremely short bench.

Everyone is saying how much better we are in Manning's third year...ok I agree.

Having said that what's DM's Wake career conference road record again?

If you dramatically inferior players, what would expect the record to be?

How can you judge a coachs record in his first 2 years of a REBUILD? Clawson went 6-18 first 2 years of his rebuild here. Is he a horrible coach?

Maybe worse than losing that particular game in the fashion we did is the fact that it was noted during the broadcast that we'd lost 7 of the last 8 matchups to Clemson. Now I guess it's 8 of the last 9. That's embarrassing and shows how pathetic our program has become and how we have allowed historically mediocre Clemson to develop such a dominant mindset against us as to enable such improbable heroics.

Imagine what Duke thought when they lost 9 in a row to historically mediocre Wake Forest in the early to mid-90's...

Has Clemson ever been ranked under Brownell? You're comparing that to Wake in the Duncan years?

Duke was less than two seasons out from back-to-back national titles when the streak began so the comparison isn't that far off.

However my point is while it's inexcusable to lose 8 of 9 to Clemson in basketball things like this are cyclical.

Imagine what Duke thought when they lost 9 in a row to historically mediocre Wake Forest in the early to mid-90's...

They thought when that Tim Duncan guys graduates we are never losing at home to these guys again.

Hard to compare a Wake Forest team that was ranked almost continuously from 92 to 97 and many times in the top ten, winning 2 ACCT with losing to a Clemson team generally at or below the bubble.

Back