• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Manning Gets Fired

Clawson, Bresky, and Muuss have certainly not lived up to expectations.

Yep, Clawson has only won one bowl game, Bresky hasn't brought the team to number 1 in the country, and Muuss hasn't won a national championship.

Yep, Clawson has only won one bowl game, Bresky hasn't brought the team to number 1 in the country, and Muuss hasn't won a national championship.

Clawson, Bresky, and Muuss have certainly not lived up to expectations.

So, are these the new 2017 talking points to defend Wellman? I guess it beats last year's community outreach programs and facilities.

So, are these the new 2017 talking points to defend Wellman? I guess it beats last year's community outreach programs and facilities.

It's just a stupid comment on your part. People are incapable of looking at things rationally. It's really lazy and pretty ignorant.

It's just a stupid comment on your part. People are incapable of looking at things rationally. It's really lazy and pretty ignorant.

Thanks. So, we're rolling with the "our soccer and tennis programs are better than yours" for 2017. Got it.

You left out Clawson and the football team.

Nope. Can't say our football program is better than everyone else. So, just go with tennis and soccer. You'll get more mileage. Good luck!

In the meantime, us ignorant and lazy people will still question our basketball program's ineptness and whether our AD has any interest in addressing the issues faced. But, that's for us simpletons to worry about.

So you think Dave Clawson was a bad hire? Interesting take.

Someone who is going to get a decent head coaching job at some point over the next 2-3 years is Michigan assistant, Billy Donlon. He started at point guard at UNC-Wilmington when Brad Brownell was an assistant, then served as an assistant under Brownell at Wright State before getting hired as Wright State's head coach when Brownell got the Clemson job. He's only 39 years old, and had three 20+ winning seasons at Wright State. Beilein loves the guy and will be doing everything he can to help him get another head coaching job. Very highly regarded as a defensive strategist.

Whatever the case, we've got Danny for at least the next couple of years.

Someone who is going to get a decent head coaching job at some point over the next 2-3 years is Michigan assistant, Billy Donlon. He started at point guard at UNC-Wilmington when Brad Brownell was an assistant, then served as an assistant under Brownell at Wright State before getting hired as Wright State's head coach when Brownell got the Clemson job. He's only 39 years old, and had three 20+ winning seasons at Wright State. Beilein loves the guy and will be doing everything he can to help him get another head coaching job. Very highly regarded as a defensive strategist.

Whatever the case, we've got Danny for at least the next couple of years.

That's a great post. Interesting and insightful, and not a name I've read on here before.

That's a great post. Interesting and insightful, and not a name I've read on here before.

The standards set by the firing squad surely would laugh at a guy who got fired by Wright St to become an assistant coach.

The standards set by the firing squad surely would laugh at a guy who got fired by Wright St to become an assistant coach.

Ha! I certainly understand that. But I'm also not in the camp who thinks that we're ever going to hire someone like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, etc. If Danny can't right the ship by the end of the 2018-19 season ... and the AD decides to make a change at that time ... there will certainly be a "flavor of the month" candidate from some team in the 2019 NCAA tournament that overachieves.

As concerns Wright State's firing of Donlon, it came on the heels of a 22-13 record (13-5 Horizon). Whatever the case, he's going to end up getting a decent job at some point down the road because he's still very young and he's got 6 years' head coaching experience. He is very highly regarded by his coaching peers. And the opinion of the guy (Beilein) who will be recommending him is even more highly regarded by both peers and AD's.

Last edited:

Probably true. Though his firing was controversial, after finishing the year 22-13, 13-5 in conference, and having won 20+ games 3 of his final 4 seasons.

His replacement would be a good prospect. Scott Nagy led South Dakota State to the post season in his last 5 seasons (3 NCAA, 1 NIT, 1 CBI). 50 years old in his 21st year as a head coach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Nagy

Other than Nova Manning had us in position to win every game this year. At some point these players gotta execute and finish ball games.

Isn't that something a coach teaches players how to do?

Other than Nova Manning had us in position to win every game this year. At some point these players gotta execute and finish ball games.

You have gone to the mat in your defense of Manning and I commend that. We all understand that the players are the ones that need to execute, but from a coaching standpoint, there are things that Manning does not do well which have caused great concern among the fans. Time Outs, substitution patterns, and situational plans is where Manning has major faults. Once again, the players have to execute, but Manning has to put them in the best position to win.

When was the last time an ACC school hired a coach who was an assistant at another program? I know that Dave Odom was an assistant at UVA when WF hired him, but that was 27 years ago.

FWIW, a name that some on this Board argued for when Manning was hired was Ben Howland. Howland's Miss. State team is rated #118 and has a 1-3 record against top 100 teams with losses to E. Tenn. State, Lehigh and UCF. His record is 7-0 against teams ranked 212 below. Miss State has played the #347 schedule with zero road games, and one OOC game against an Power 5 opponent (Oregon State).

Back