• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Manning is Fired, I Will Fondly Remember.... ( )

Dillon Fence

Reaction score
I will fondly remember:

- the Terrence Thompson era. It takes a big man like Danny Manning to give 31 starts to a 1 year transfer player who can put up numbers like 3.5 ppg / 3.9 rpg, but our coach had the backbone to stick with the plan all season long. It was a brilliant move to protect our tender 1st and 2nd year players from the rigors of actually playing ACC basketball - clearly they would get all of the game experience they would need through his obviously clinic-like technical practice sessions. So this, this is my fondest memory of the Danny Manning tenure.

Feel free to contribute your memories and perhaps we can purchase a fine leather bound book to paste them in for Coach to put in his library as a keepsake.

John Collins and some fine 3-point chucking for one fleeting season. But not really cuz I get to watch JC any time I want now when I turn on Fox Sports South.

I will fondly remember that the best way to score points is to get to the free throw line. That's some Hall of Fame level execution plan right there.

John Collins sitting on the bench.

Knowing without a doubt we would lose to Kansas State.

How our guys did or did not (?) act like big-time college basketball player studs on our 1 day off at Disneyland.

Wondering whatever happened to Sharone Wright, Jr.

Just way too many fond memories...with really only 1 sincere memory of Dad Childress hugging kid Childress. That was actually really special.

I still love that he gave an unheralded struggling walk-on 12 minutes per game while a future NBA all-star was held to 8 minutes a game.

Few coaches care enough about all of their players to give the guys minutes for the extra effort practice time.

The team lost 20 games that year but no one outside of Wake knew about John Collins, keeping those greedy NBA bastards from knowing what Wake had.

4-D chess, baby.

The team lost 20 games that year but no one outside of Wake knew about John Collins, keeping those greedy NBA bastards from knowing what Wake had.

4-D chess, baby.

hahaha too good. Where's the .gif of that dude pointing to his temple as if to say "that's using your head!"

seeing a poster get chided for using "jesus christ' as a swear word

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Daniel Manning is being retained as Wake Forest's head basketball coach, Athletics Director John Currie announced Monday.

"Daniel is a man of great character and integrity who makes every decision for the long-term benefit of the program and the University," said Currie. "At this time, Daniel and I felt that new leadership would not help the program and allow the student-athletes to reach their full potential.

"Daniel's six years with us have produced many positive results. He has recruited very good people, both players and staff, to Wake Forest. He has had high expectations, both on and off the court, of everyone associated with our program. Over the last six years the team has shown improvement on the court and superb improvement off the court."

"During my regular season-end review with John, we discussed the overall status of the program which I believe is very positive," said Manning. "The right players are in place who have the values that are important at Wake Forest. At the end of the discussion, I told John that I should be retained because there needs to be a positive environment for the players to realize their potential. I appreciate the opportunity given to me at Wake Forest. I look forward to decades of future success at the helm of this program."

Manning has posted a record of 78-110 overall and 30-80 in Atlantic Coast Conference games during his six years.

Besides the obvious (paint touches and hanging our hat on defense), I'll always fondly remember embarrassing Charlotte so badly in December 2017 that they had no choice but to fire Mark Price a week or so later. Mid-season firing!

Never mind that we only won 11 games that year w/ a roster that included Bryant Crawford, Doral Moore, Keyshawn Woods (who would all leave after the season instead of exhausting their final year of eligibility under the tutelage of Danny Manning), that night was magical. Really put the #308 in-state rival 49ers in their place and showed the college basketball world once and for all who was the better ex-NBA playing Division 1 NCAA head coach in the state of North Carolina.

Oh, I did unabashedly enjoy Austin Arians and his one season at Wake Forest University. That dude could knock down an open 3 like nobody we've had in a long time.

I will fondly remember... that Manning will have managed to graduate TWO players that stayed all four years, one being a coach's son who was unlikely to leave Wake while his father was there. WF essentially became a 1 and done or 2 and done program, they just left a different way than the NBA normally.

In a genuine sense, there's three games (one win) I'll remember probably forever:

The Duke win this year. Just seeing Brandon achieve that one win will always be memorable for me.
The UVA buzzer beater in 2015-2016. Not sure there's ever been a more improbable loss than that. I was all ready to rush the court from the student section, and got to watch somebody from UVA bank in a game winning three from the corner.
The Duke buzzer beater that Kennard hit in 2016-2017. That year was the top of the Grayson Allen hate, and getting that gut punch fucking sucked.

In a genuine sense, there's three games (one win) I'll remember probably forever:

The Duke buzzer beater that Kennard hit in 2016-2017. That year was the top of the Grayson Allen hate, and getting that gut punch fucking sucked.

Yeah, I was going to go with a different memory from this game: Brandon Childress getting a technical foul for slinging Grayson Allen into the Duke bench as the momentum turned against Wake late in that game.

I will fondly remember... that Manning will have managed to graduate TWO players that stayed all four years, one being a coach's son who was unlikely to leave Wake while his father was there. WF essentially became a 1 and done or 2 and done program, they just left a different way than the NBA normally.

You know, that takes exceptional skill. Run a 1-and-done program and play putrid basketball. You have to WORK to achieve that goal!! And the moron who created this mess fired a winning coach for "culture" reasons. You can't make this stuff up!!

As for me, I'll fondly remember Houston Baptist, Delaware State, Gardner-Webb and him calling a timeout when he had none. Things that NO ONE can take away!! #cherish

Yeah, I was going to go with a different memory from this game: Brandon Childress getting a technical foul for slinging Grayson Allen into the Duke bench as the momentum turned against Wake late in that game.

Lol yeah I remember that. We got hype about it at the time because fuck Grayson Allen, but it very well may have cost us that game.

Besides the obvious (paint touches and hanging our hat on defense), I'll always fondly remember embarrassing Charlotte so badly in December 2017 that they had no choice but to fire Mark Price a week or so later. Mid-season firing!

Never mind that we only won 11 games that year w/ a roster that included Bryant Crawford, Doral Moore, Keyshawn Woods (who would all leave after the season instead of exhausting their final year of eligibility under the tutelage of Danny Manning), that night was magical. Really put the #308 in-state rival 49ers in their place and showed the college basketball world once and for all who was the better ex-NBA playing Division 1 NCAA head coach in the state of North Carolina.

And I was there!! I only really fondly remember the spicy Bojangles chicken sandwich honestly. Although I do recall some uncharacteristically good shooting from three that night and even some unselfish sharing of the rock. And Sarr flashed his potential. Was like a dream...with a rude and shocking awakening when we ran into a post-game deluge running back to the parking deck.

Back