• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Manning is Fired, I Will Fondly Remember.... ( )

The period between beating UL and losing to GaSouthern was where I thought he would be fine. He had recruited Brown the prior year (as well as Sarr), and then followed up with Hoard/Mucius. My rule of thumb is that if Wake can get multiple top 100 guys per year with one of them being top 40 or so (like Brown and Hoard), that we can be competitive.

Then we lost to Georgia Southern (and Drake, and whomever the fuck else), and it became clear that Manning was fucking awful at his job.

After going back to read some of my posts when Manning was being hired, I ran across a bunch of RChill posts. That'll be a fond memory of the Manning era. That guy would make RJ blush with his lack of understanding of stats and his ability to change his argument from minute to minute.

That's not fair. RJ is unblushable.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Daniel Manning is being retained as Wake Forest's head basketball coach, Athletics Director John Currie announced Monday.

"Daniel is a man of great character and integrity who makes every decision for the long-term benefit of the program and the University," said Currie. "At this time, Daniel and I felt that new leadership would not help the program and allow the student-athletes to reach their full potential.

"Daniel's six years with us have produced many positive results. He has recruited very good people, both players and staff, to Wake Forest. He has had high expectations, both on and off the court, of everyone associated with our program. Over the last six years the team has shown improvement on the court and superb improvement off the court."

"During my regular season-end review with John, we discussed the overall status of the program which I believe is very positive," said Manning. "The right players are in place who have the values that are important at Wake Forest. At the end of the discussion, I told John that I should be retained because there needs to be a positive environment for the players to realize their potential. I appreciate the opportunity given to me at Wake Forest. I look forward to decades of future success at the helm of this program."

Manning has posted a record of 78-110 overall and 30-80 in Atlantic Coast Conference games during his six years.

Man, I started reading that and thought is was something that happened today and nearly crapped my pants.

Besides the obvious (paint touches and hanging our hat on defense), I'll always fondly remember embarrassing Charlotte so badly in December 2017 that they had no choice but to fire Mark Price a week or so later. Mid-season firing!

Never mind that we only won 11 games that year w/ a roster that included Bryant Crawford, Doral Moore, Keyshawn Woods (who would all leave after the season instead of exhausting their final year of eligibility under the tutelage of Danny Manning), that night was magical. Really put the #308 in-state rival 49ers in their place and showed the college basketball world once and for all who was the better ex-NBA playing Division 1 NCAA head coach in the state of North Carolina.

Went to that game with a UNCC grad. Was a good memory. Now they are better than us. :dumb:

That Danny Manning was fired.
This is the correct answer.

2017- beating State by 30 at home.

BeeJay Anya missed two FT in a row and everyone got free chicken. The place went wild.

That’s the season Gott was fired but was allowed to finish out the season.

And here we are, still losing and we still have Manning.

2017- beating State by 30 at home.

BeeJay Anya missed two FT in a row and everyone got free chicken. The place went wild.

That’s the season Gott was fired but was allowed to finish out the season.

And here we are, still losing and we still have Manning.

That game gave us that classic moment where Anya yelled out to an official that his teammate stepped out of bounds on the baseline under the wake basket because his fat ass didn't want to run down the other end of the court. I can't find that video though, but it was hilarious.

That game gave us that classic moment where Anya yelled out to an official that his teammate stepped out of bounds on the baseline under the wake basket because his fat ass didn't want to run down the other end of the court. I can't find that video though, but it was hilarious.

I figured Anya worked out a deal with a fan to share the free chicken, so he missed on purpose.

How about the schizoid 2016 season:

Deacs grab wins over LSU (on the road, that LSU team had the #1 pick in the draft Ben Simmons; two other players that played in the NBA, Tim Quarterman and Antonio Blakeney and two other starters who played in the G League - Kieth Hornsby and Craig Victor) and over Big 10 regular season champ Indiana which had 4 future NBA players (OG Anunoby, Thomas Bryant, Yogi Ferrell and Troy Williams). That WF team also beat UCLA and Arkansas before the conference season started...

Then... the wheels came off: WF started 10-5. Finished 11-20. Ouch.

BTW, the one win between January 10th and the end of the season was the blow out of BC, when freshman Doral Moore played like Wilt Chamberlain (19 points, 7 rebounds and 3 blocks in 20 minutes).

You have a team with Devin Thomas, John Collins and Doral Moore and you go 2-17 in the ACC. Maybe the most criminal coaching job in history.

The period between beating UL and losing to GaSouthern was where I thought he would be fine. He had recruited Brown the prior year (as well as Sarr), and then followed up with Hoard/Mucius. My rule of thumb is that if Wake can get multiple top 100 guys per year with one of them being top 40 or so (like Brown and Hoard), that we can be competitive.

Then we lost to Georgia Southern (and Drake, and whomever the fuck else), and it became clear that Manning was fucking awful at his job.

We got blown out by Liberty at home.

It was fun to pretend for awhile that we were going to get Harry Giles and that it was going to put us in contention for multiple McDonald's All-Americans.

Back