• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which Wake team over the past 25 years, should have won the NCAAT more than the rest?

Which Wake team over the past 25 years, should have won the NCAAT more than the rest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still wonder what might have been in '95. Randolph's flu definitely took something out of him. We were awesome that year - Duncan got better every game he played.

I was in school then, so I know I am biased, but I think it's definitely that 95 team.

Better question between the 95 and 04 teams: If they played each other 10 times, how would they fare? I say the 95 teams wins 9 out of ten easy.

I blame myself for the 94/95 loss. I remember vividly that day buying a new #22 jersey and then being devastated when we lost that night. That said, I went with the 04/05 team. I think that had they may have had even more potential than 94/95 but didn't realize it due to their lack of lock down on defense. I think that if Skip could've gotten a little more out of them defensively, they had the most potential.

04-05 was the most talented starting 5 we've ever had, but they weren't committed on the defensive end.

Again, I think the 04 team would lose to the 95 team almost every single time.

04-05 was the most talented starting 5 we've ever had, but they weren't committed on the defensive end.

08-09 was the most talented team. That team started 4 NBA players.

95-96 was the best team with the best player, maybe the best 2 players in school history.

Duncan made Big Country his bitch, so the problem wasn't Big Country it was goddam Skaer with a fucking back breaker bank shot from three...

i was young, but i recall big country was a terrible FT shooter but that night he was shooting well above par.

90/91 team had 4 guys that had more than a cup of coffee in the NBA....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That would have to be King, Tucker, Childress and Rogers.

Rogers obviously had a long career.

Tucker played 61 games in his career, all in one season.
King played in 3 different seasons, 103 games total. The bulk of that was 81 games in 1 season for an expansion. Still, I'll grant this as "more than a cup of coffee"
Childress played 3 seasons, 51 total games.*

Not sure exactly what the cutoff is for "cup of coffee" but the 91 team is nowhere near the list of teams that make you say "what could have been".

*All from basketballreference.com

The 2004-05 offense is the second best ever since 2003, a mere .1 behind 2014 Michigan.

I think that the 95 team could have slowed them down, but it was damn hard to stop that team from scoring.

The 95/96 team was never beating that Kentucky team, even with a healthy Rutland. Sucks we just happened to run into Kentucky in the Elite 8 and not in the Final Four or Championship game, but we weren't winning it all that year. That Kentucky team was absurdly loaded.

94/95 team.... that's my pick. Just ahead of the 04/05 team, but the lack of D always made us susceptible to an exit. Chill doesn't get the flu and we are in the Final Four easily in 94/95 and I'll take a healthy Chill in 2 must win games to win it all any day of the week.

Tim Duncan against Eric Williams? I'd take the 95 team every single time. Not to say they wouldn't lose occaisionally but it wouldn't happen often. The 95 team played outstanding help defense. CP3 would have had his hands full with that team.

Last edited:
I hear the arguments about the defense on the 95 team, but I still say 05 because unc played very similar ball to wake that year, and they won the title, and we schooled them in the regular season. If they could advance that far with high octane offense and manageable defense, so could wake.

I think the 95 team is better than the 2005 team, but I'm standing by my pick because the 2005 team was better relative to the best teams in the country IMO. CBB was a lot better in 1995.

04/05 team absolutely could have won it all

I went with 1996 the year Rutland blew out his knee. We were blowing Ga Tech off the court (and Marbury) to win the ACC title, and then ouch. And we made the final 8 - with Larue forced to run the point.

A healthy Rutland, we avoid UK in the final 8 and...

Didn't even consider '96 because of Rutland's knee and the Kentucky draw, but good point that we may have avoided Kentucky and let somebody else beat them (like Michigan did for UNC in the 1993 Final Four).

I blame myself for the 94/95 loss. I remember vividly that day buying a new #22 jersey and then being devastated when we lost that night.

I blame myself too. Got tickets and bought a plane ticket to Portland (couldn't fly in to Seattle) that afternoon. At least I got to see UNC and Big Country/Jason Skaer/Randy Rutherford lose on semifinal Saturday.

95/96 - Before Rutland blew out his knee he was absolutely dominating. Duncan was hitting his stride... as an earlier poster mentioned, Rutland was taking Marburry to school in the ACC Tournament.

Back