• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Redshirting Bates and Dortch so we only got 2 seasons (less for Dortch due to injury)
  • Refusal to put Hines and Dortch on the field together so Hines transferred (and torpedoed his career)
  • Total KWIII mismanagement
  • Post-Sam QB debacle

Any other personnel mishaps for our infallible coaching staff? Waiting until the Syracuse game to give Greene any playing time was a consideration, but we were pretty stacked at WR that year prior to injuries. Waiting far too long to fire Hemphill (I guess he technically was never fired) stands out too.
Bitch, bitch, bitch…

Genuine question: why is Clawson obligated to see if Kern is an improvement in an actual game, other than that it would allow all the fans to see it too? If Griffis is still outperforming Kern in the in-season practices, I see no reason for Clawson to throw Kern out there and just hope that things are flip-flopped in real game action.

I care way less about Clawson putting Kern vs Griffis out there than I do that the game plan/offensive play calling needs to be adapted to the fact that we no longer have an elite or even above-average option at QB.
I agree with what PH is saying, but I will also add, that If the issue is the quarterback not getting the ball out in time and trying to force plays under pressure, then these are things that may not be able to be evaluated in practice. If Kern has the ability to read the rush in a game and make the quick throw, it will significantly help our offense get back to where it was. In game pressure and scenarios are tough to evaluate on the practice field. Mitch isn’t seeing the rush and is holding on to the ball too long, this is why we gave up 8 sacks last week. You at least have to see if someone else can do it better.

No. However, I also question a claim WF sold 33k tickets to Elon, Vandy, and Ga Tech. Really?
So the Wake athletic dept is fraudulently reporting sellouts? Is that your position?

Just trying to wrap my head around why open seats at a sold out event is such a big deal to you and your buddy deacfan123. Were either of you planning to attend the Elon, Vandy, or GA Tech games yet decided not to because sellouts were reported?

Cam does a video analysis of 17 turnover worthy plays of Griffis on 247. Its instructive. Most of the fault is with the entire offense— bad routes, horrible blocking by both the OL and Claiborne, and bad decisions or passes by MG. Our tackles suck in most of the plays. We have about 5 playable OL.

Cam does a video analysis of 17 turnover worthy plays of Griffis on 247. Its instructive. Most of the fault is with the entire offense— bad routes, horrible blocking by both the OL and Claiborne, and bad decisions or passes by MG. Our tackles suck in most of the plays. We have about 5 playable OL.
And one of the playable OL is hurt.

So the Wake athletic dept is fraudulently reporting sellouts? Is that your position?

Just trying to wrap my head around why open seats at a sold out event is such a big deal to you and your buddy deacfan123. Were either of you planning to attend the Elon, Vandy, or GA Tech games yet decided not to because sellouts were reported?
Negative Nancys bitching about fraudulent attendance numbers and redshirt decisions going back 6 years. Some bitch about 7 straight “exhibition” games. We have John Currie and Dave Clawson, not Wellman and Manning.

Mitch may simply be scared of the contact he doesn't have to face in practice.

Newman had 19 attempts and 13 rushes in his 4th year in the program before his first start at State. He got the ball out quickly or tucked and ran. That's what we need a QB to do.

Not gonna lie, if it’s been 10 years and these are the biggest complaints I think we are doing fine.

I mean one of these complaints is about redshirting two guys that were 2 star recruits, another is about WRs in an era in which WR has been the strongest position group every year, another is about losing a year of an elite player because he got poached by a bigger program (which people don’t like to admit may have happened even if he got 90% of the carries in 2020) and the last one is an ongoing issue that still has potential to be fixed one way or another.
I mean there are a bunch of other minor gripes, and I excluded anything from the first 2-3 years, because he was cleaning up a dumpster fire.

Clawson is a great coach, and very good for WF, but the idea that we should build him a statue and never question his decisions is just crazy. And it's unfortunately shared by a bunch of folks in this fanbase/on this board. His stubbornness, at times, is what prevents him from moving from the "really good" to "elite" coaching echelon IMHO. Both in terms of personnel and play calling philosophy (both sides of the ball over the years).

Negative Nancys bitching about fraudulent attendance numbers and redshirt decisions going back 6 years. Some bitch about 7 straight “exhibition” games. We have John Currie and Dave Clawson, not Wellman and Manning.
Clawson is fine. He's a Tier 2/3 coach for what is now a Tier 2/3 university with a tier 2/3 law School.

Clawson is a great coach, and very good for WF, but the idea that we should build him a statue and never question his decisions is just crazy. And it's unfortunately shared by a bunch of folks in this fanbase/on this board.
Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen very much of this sentiment on the board this week. Clawson has a pretty solid track record and has certainly elevated Wake football so I give him a lot of leash, but I don't think he is beyond criticism.

I genuinely understand the philosophy of several posters here that the in-game unknown of Kern is better than the in-game known of what Griffis has been so far. I think it's a reasonable idea honestly. I just personally think it's a long shot that Kern is the savior of this season, so I'm not going to get overly worked up if Clawson chooses to ride with the QB he believes in and tries coaching him to a major improvement to what has been a horrendous start to his career.

The bye week is a big test for me, because a lot of Griffis' problems seem to be mental. He mostly isn't throwing picks based on awful reads or poor arm strength. He's mostly throwing picks and fumbling because he isn't making good decisions about when to get out of a crumbling pocket. As an admitting football non-expert, that seems coachable to me. So if Griffis shows no improvement after two straight weeks of what I'm sure is very intense coaching, Clawson will have failed by not coaching Griffis well enough through this and by not pivoting to Kern after seeing Griffis fail to improve during the bye.

Seems pretty obvious that Wake needs to back off on some of the homework for our football team so they can contrate on football during the fall.

@CONeill feel like voting?
I mean ... no, not really. All due respect.

In the simplest of terms: I think Mitch Griffis has been awful and I think he's getting little help. The off week gives you the only chance to truly dive into Clawson's "is it what we're doing or who we're doing it with?" evaluation and the sneak peak last night is he thinks the latter is across the board, not just at QB. I'm halfway through the film review (taking a lot longer, been a rough week) and that's evident -- along with knowledge Griffis is worse in the 2nd half.

Clawson has always been about the "you don't make a change for the sake of making a change" approach. It feels like that's his approach here.

I understand why that's frustrating, I do. I'm not even interested in defending it. Just know -- for better or worse -- that's typically been his approach.

This isn't change for the sake of making a change. It's an even bigger indictment of Clawson if the best QB on the roster is the 119th best QB.

I understand why that's frustrating, I do. I'm not even interested in defending it. Just know -- for better or worse -- that's typically been his approach.

Yes. I just hope Clemson is not the Grobe / Miami game at Miami in which Grobe essentially told the fanbase to go fuck themselves and proceeded to tank that game all in the name of principle.
If Clawson genuinely believes Griffis is the guy, I question what we've been doing to prepare QB2 all these years. If Clawson refuses to make a change because he doesn't want to appease us crazies (aka fans/alums), then I have much bigger questions and so should Kern.

I took it from last night's show that he has ZERO intention of playing Kern given that he clearly stated they would help Mitch work through this. That sounds indefinite to me. But, as some have posted, maybe he's playing chess and has many brilliant moves coming up. We'll know soon enough.

The buck stops with Clawson, but I can’t imagine Ruggiero is telling him that Mitch can’t run the offense and that Kern is a better fit while Clawson’s massive ego just overrides him.

Also, you can’t just trash the starter in a media appearance without a) killing what’s left of his confidence; and b) inviting an open season of new questions.

The starter has to be “your guy” until the second he’s not. So I wouldn’t read too much into direct statements (or lack thereof) made in a radio show.

Back