• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Clawson genuinely believes Griffis is the guy, I question what we've been doing to prepare QB2 all these years.
Lol this is such a reactionary take. Between Wolford/Hinton and Newman/Hartman there were numerous times in which a QB2 stepped up and did great under Clawson.

This isn't change for the sake of making a change. It's an even bigger indictment of Clawson if the best QB on the roster is the 119th best QB.
If it were reported that he’s thinking about going to Michigan State, you would shit your pants

Lol this is such a reactionary take. Between Wolford/Hinton and Newman/Hartman there were numerous times in which a QB2 stepped up and did great under Clawson.

Can you explain how this is a "reactionary take"? We currently have the worst-rated QB in the ACC by a mile who is a turnover machine and the second-string QB can't step on the field. Does that not raise any question in your mind as to the capabilities of QB2? None? Wolford, Newman, Hartman and Griffis. One of these is not like the other three.

Picking (and sticking with) your QB based solely on performance in practice, in camp, and in the spring game, in the face of game evidence to the contrary, is like picking someone for your golf team based on how they look on the range, even though they haven't broken 80 in an actual match, given multiple chances.

Can you explain how this is a "reactionary take"? We currently have the worst-rated QB in the ACC by a mile who is a turnover machine and the second-string QB can't step on the field. Does that not raise any question in your mind as to the capabilities of QB2? None? Wolford, Newman, Hartman and Griffis. One of these is not like the other three.
A reactionary take involves forgetting about what happened in the past 9 seasons in order to focus solely on what has happened in 1/3 of this season and claim that Clawson has been terrible at something "all these years"

It's very possible that Clawson has failed to build adequate QB depth on this year's Wake team, but it's silly to extrapolate that into saying that he has done a poor job of developing QB depth his entire time at Wake.

If it were reported that he’s thinking about going to Michigan State, you would shit your pants

I’d be disappointed because I like Clawson. You can criticize a coach you like.

But overall I don’t panic about coaching changes and I think it’s silly to do so. Currie can just hire another coach.

A reactionary take involves forgetting about what happened in the past 9 seasons in order to focus solely on what has happened in 1/3 of this season and claim that Clawson has been terrible at something "all these years"

It's very possible that Clawson has failed to build adequate QB depth on this year's Wake team, but it's silly to extrapolate that into saying that he has done a poor job of developing QB depth his entire time at Wake.
Where in the holy hell did I imply that!?!? Talk about reactionary. How about just making shit up! I simply said that our QB2 may not be ready given the reluctance to make a change. How in God's name you read that was indictment for the past 10 years is just remarkable.

When I stated, " I question what we've been doing to prepare QB2 all these years", I was referring to "these years" being while Kern has been on the team.

Yes. I just hope Clemson is not the Grobe / Miami game at Miami in which Grobe essentially told the fanbase to go fuck themselves and proceeded to tank that game all in the name of principle.
If Clawson genuinely believes Griffis is the guy, I question what we've been doing to prepare QB2 all these years. If Clawson refuses to make a change because he doesn't want to appease us crazies (aka fans/alums), then I have much bigger questions and so should Kern.

I took it from last night's show that he has ZERO intention of playing Kern given that he clearly stated they would help Mitch work through this. That sounds indefinite to me. But, as some have posted, maybe he's playing chess and has many brilliant moves coming up. We'll know soon enough.
Had to read this a couple times to even understand the point trying to be made. Clawson decided to not make a QB change because he does not want to appease the fanbase? What?

1. To the extent there is any "fanbase consensus" on the QB issue, Clawson doesn't GAF what that consensus is, nor should any coach. Clawson isn't sending his minions out to poll the fanbase about who should play. That's exclusively the staff's jurisdiction. No coach at this level gives a F about who the fans think should play.
2. If Clawson or any coach thinks that a personnel change would help, he will make the change. Are you really positing that Clawson agrees that Kern would be the better option, but refuses to make the move simply because it would make some WF fans happy?
what-why.gif

3. Realize this is an off-week, and QB play has sucked so far; so, we are going around in circles about whether Kern should play; this leads to overthinking the decision and WF fans creating wild scenarios to explain who plays and who does not, but at the end of the day, it's pretty simple: Clawson and Ruggiero think Griffis is the better QB, and he gives WF a better chance to win games, and as a corollary, although Griffis has been shockingly bad, there have been contributing factors beyond Griffis' play that led to this.

Where in the holy hell did I imply that!?!? Talk about reactionary. How about just making shit up! I simply said that our QB2 may not be ready given the reluctance to make a change. How in God's name you read that was indictment for the past 10 years is just remarkable.
If Clawson genuinely believes Griffis is the guy, I question what we've been doing to prepare QB2 all these years.
Certainly to me your statement implies that you question what Clawson has done to prepare backup QBs during his tenure at Wake. Regardless, it's a silly distinction that I don't really know why I bothered to latch onto to be honest

Had to read this a couple times to even understand the point trying to be made. Clawson decided to not make a QB change because he does not want to appease the fanbase? What?

I was stating that, from his perspective, he might become even more stubborn just to prove Griffis is his guy. Notice I used the word "crazies" in my statement. That's kind of a giveaway there. But stubbornness happens. It's human nature. Sometimes coaches dig their heels in if/when they feel the fanbase knows better than them. Ask Terry Bowden.

Obviously, I was not implying he should make a change to appease fans. But I believe we all know Clawson has a stubborn streak in him. That was my only point.

Last edited:
So, umm, I'm not sure if you've heard what I've heard, but a reliable source close to the program told me recently he thinks Clawson will go to MSU, if offered. Same guy clued me into Sam's injury last year being not that bad very early (and made me some nice coin on Vegas season win total arbitrage opportunities).

Now, I'm not sure if this is just his own personal feeling or is based on any substantive rumblings, but it didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I personally don't think he'd take that mess of a job, but who knows.

Certainly to me your statement implies that you question what Clawson has done to prepare backup QBs during his tenure at Wake. Regardless, it's a silly distinction that I don't really know why I bothered to latch onto to be honest

Thanks for acknowledging it. And, yes, it was silly because that's not what I was stating.

So, umm, I'm not sure if you've heard what I've heard, but a reliable source close to the program told me recently he thinks Clawson will go to MSU, if offered. Same guy clued me into Sam's injury last year being not that bad very early (and made me some nice coin on Vegas season win total arbitrage opportunities).

Now, I'm not sure if this is just his own personal feeling or is based on any substantive rumblings, but it didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I personally don't think he'd take that mess of a job, but who knows.

He told you this info but didn’t say if it was based on his feelings or an actual rumor? Get us the deets!

I wonder if Clawson is thinking that they can "fix" Mitch this year then the next 2 years will be pretty good.

Any coach could end up going anywhere obviously for the right price, but Clawson's previous stops don't make me think he'd be a great fit at a larger Midwest state school.

Picking (and sticking with) your QB based solely on performance in practice, in camp, and in the spring game, in the face of game evidence to the contrary, is like picking someone for your golf team based on how they look on the range, even though they haven't broken 80 in an actual match, given multiple chances.

You know they play practice rounds in college golf, right.

A QB needs 10 other players to execute for plays to work. Pick another analogy. The QB gets too much credit when things are good and too much blame when they are bad. Watch the tape. There are breakdowns happening at multiple positions. Benching Mitch now would destroy his confidence. Short QBs can do well in Clawson’s offense. The coaches are going to try to fix the problems before throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Back