• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why do reasonable people doubt science?

But that "all" is, in fact, God.

The day that mankind uses science to understand everything in infinity is the day man meets God, right? this just came to me

Do you think those lay views came out of thin air? It is a background assumption of the modern scientific worldview that all that is is material and ultimately understandable according to the scientific method.

link?

i'm pretty sure theoretical physicists disagree

There's also no duty in science, nothing in the methodology or any monolithic need to proselytize or inculcate or spread the message or teach lay people or anything of the sort. Science is in service of itself, not humanity at large or their understanding of it.

I like that Reverend. In that way, science is religion. The science is, in fact, God.

I wouldn't say science is God, in that God can't be confined by science. But if by studying science/biology/physics, one understands that they are studying part of God's Creation, then I think science can be a form of religion, but not the full picture of it.

Why is there something instead of there not being anything?

Why is there a god instead of no god?

Seriously, though. I'm not interested in getting into an infinite regression of explanations.

The beauty of science is that it will continue to push back the veil on what caused our universe until it can go no further. If at the end of all that, we find God, then I'll be the first to sign up.

Try living as if God does exist.

I'm not following?

I don't believe God exists but I live my life by many of the same tenants of someone who does. I don't lie, cheat, steal or kill. I am a good person who cares about others. Are you saying that if I woke up one day and decided that I would do all of this for god instead of for the good of mankind, I would begin to believe?

I don't know whether you would or wouldn't. I do think, however, that the religious life is not defined by intellectual assent to a series of doctrinal propositions. Rather, the religious life has to be lived to be understood. I'm suggesting that you might come to understand it if you tried living it.

How am I supposed to know how to live a religious life?

Science is a method, a very good method for solving lots problems.

To TW, do you think two things that appear logically to contradict each other could both nevertheless be simultaneously true?

Science is a method, a very good method for solving lots problems.

To TW, do you think two things that appear logically to contradict each other could both nevertheless be simultaneously true?

One of those things has to be a misinterpretation of the evidence.

Why is there a god instead of no god?

To explain why there is something rather than there being nothing. If there were nothing there would be no God. People experience the universe and wonder how it came to be and what governs it. Religious faith is a good tool for this whereas science is not. Religious faith does not require infinite regression of more and more explanations. If you truly beieve your religion you can stop with God as the answer to the why and let science answer the how.

Wow, I go away for a weekend and now there are two of these threads? God bless us, every one.

#hydra. (Mythological creature, not marvel)

That's a $64,000 question.

I think a Christian response would be that you can learn what it means to live a religious life by going to church, listening to what the preacher says and reflecting on it, reading your Bible and reflecting on it, entering into a Christian community, and trying to love your neighbor as yourself. In some senses the doing is the learning, insofar as I think it would be difficult to sustain these activities for any length of time without developing some sort of consciousness of God (even if a consciousness of the absence of God, which, in my opinion, is a consciousness of God in its own right), but the decisive mindset for living a Christian life is this -- the recognition that ethics is sin.

By that I mean that the central message of Christianity is that all of our human efforts to be a good person are destined not only to fail but also to corrupt us into thinking we can find God through our own merit. In some senses, being a better person is thus worse for us. This doesn't mean that we should forego good works; far from it, but we should recognize that good works are properly the consequence of God having found us rather than the result of our own efforts at being good. Christianity's good news is that we can be dead to our failed past in this regard and born again (as it were) in the freedom of this realization.

Or something like that.

I don't think it's a $64k question- it's actually pretty simple: love God, love your neighbor, love yourself.

If you want to expand on that, there are lots of good Biblical passages (Be still and know that I am God, who is my neighbor?, just as you did to the least of these, etc.), but it doesn't need to be so complex- and that's probably why Christianity is on the decline (as far as attendance and cultural relevance), we take something as simple as love and complicate it and add qualifications.

It's funny i can read these long Junebug posts and not have a freaking clue what he is talking about.

What's decisively Christian about any of that?

And I'm not saying it's a $64,000 question because it's difficult. I'm saying that because it's important.

Seriously, you have to ask? This is like stealing candy from a baby.

What's so Christian about that- um, how about the fact that Jesus said it? (it's even almost a direct quotation)

That's a $64,000 question.

I think a Christian response would be that you can learn what it means to live a religious life by going to church, listening to what the preacher says and reflecting on it, reading your Bible and reflecting on it, entering into a Christian community, and trying to love your neighbor as yourself. In some senses the doing is the learning, insofar as I think it would be difficult to sustain these activities for any length of time without developing some sort of consciousness of God (even if a consciousness of the absence of God, which, in my opinion, is a consciousness of God in its own right), but the decisive mindset for living a Christian life is this -- the recognition that ethics is sin.

By that I mean that the central message of Christianity is that all of our human efforts to be a good person are destined not only to fail but also to corrupt us into thinking we can find God through our own merit. In some senses, being a better person is thus worse for us. This doesn't mean that we should forego good works; far from it, but we should recognize that good works are properly the consequence of God having found us rather than the result of our own efforts at being good. Christianity's good news is that we can be dead to our failed past in this regard and born again (as it were) in the freedom of this realization.

Or something like that.

Mr. Junebug, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Back