• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Thursday?

From a football standpoint, it makes little sense. Fewer fans, stadium looks empty online on E3, and the game likely would have been on some obscure cable location if played Saturday. Unless it is due to Labor Day weekend vacation concerns, in which case I guess it does make some sense.

It would've been an ESPN3 game no matter the day. The difference in attendance would be minimal I bet. Yeah, you'd have people there that couldn't come on Thursday night, but you'd also have people that have other plans for Labor Day weekend that would come Thursday, but not Saturday. Not everybody is committed enough to stay home from the beach on Labor Day weekend for a Saturday home game, like I am.:thumbsup:

As an out of towner I've thought about driving up only because it's a Thursday night game, but I'd never drive up for Elon on a Saturday (especially Labor Day weekend.) There aren't too many alternatives on a Thursday night, as opposed to a late summer Saturday afternoon. I also like that it gives a few extra days to prep for Syracuse.

As an out of towner I've thought about driving up only because it's a Thursday night game, but I'd never drive up for Elon on a Saturday (especially Labor Day weekend.) There aren't too many alternatives on a Thursday night, as opposed to a late summer Saturday afternoon. I also like that it gives a few extra days to prep for Syracuse.

You would drive from Wilmington for a Thursday night game before a Saturday game?

For Elon, on Labor Day weekend, most definitely. In all honesty, its a long shot I'll drive up Thursday night but there is a 0% chance I'd drive up were the game this Saturday.

I've liked going to the Thursday night games way back when BC came to town years ago. Plus it will be a bit cooler at night and as mentioned above extra healing / prep time before the next game. Given labor day weekend I can't imagine the stadium being any fuller if the game was on Saturday.

Right now the chance of storms is much higher on Saturday than Thursday too.

Game #2 (at Cuse) is huge for WF as it represents WF best chance (by far) to win a conference road game and is a must win for WF to have any chance of achieving bowl eligibility. In fact, if WF wins at Cuse, WF will be favored at Army and the home game against Indiana will be close to a pick. So, a 4-0 start becomes an actual possibility. So, getting the two extra days after the opener to: a) prepare for Cuse; b) make adjustments after game #1; c) heal-up/freshen up for game #2 explains the Thursday opener. FWIW, Cuse plays on Friday night (WF doesn't want to interfere with HS football).

Scheduling a Thursday start for game #1 makes all of the sense in the world. It also explains why there are 10 other FBS teams playing FCS teams on Thursday.

I've seen a lot of good points on this thread, but I've always thought the local high dollar Deacon Club members got into Wellman's ear several years ago and said, play these home FCS openers on Thursday, so we can still have our Labor Day weekend holiday on their boat, golf course, etc.

A few years ago, I asked RW why we were playing Liberty on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and he disappointingly said Liberty wouldn't agree to a Thursday game. I got the impression that from that point on, we would play these type games on Thursday whenever possible.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of good points on this thread, but I've always thought the local high dollar Deacon Club members got into Wellman's ear several years ago and said, play these home FCS openers on Thursday, so we can still have our Labor Day weekend holiday on my boat, golf course, etc.

A few years ago, I asked RW why we were playing Liberty on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and he disappointingly said Liberty wouldn't agree to a Thursday game. I got the impression that from that point on, we would play these type games on Thursday whenever possible.

I'm not a high dollar Deacon Club member, but I'm glad I get to go to the game and spend my Labor Day weekend at my modest beach condo playing golf.:noidea:

How quickly we have forgotten the Nebraska saturday opener a few years back. You want that kind of weather for Elon????

Don't love the Thursday night game but I am driving down from Louisville with the family so I can attend. Just making it a longer holiday weekend!

Anyone know why the hell we're playing on a Thursday night? It's not for TV. We probably won't have 10K at the game. Play this dog on a Saturday and at least get some more asses in the seats. Throw in the Friday night game later this fall and this is one odd home slate. Looks like some kind of shit a Sunbelt team would pull.

Elon is going to bring a few thousand fans . It's their Super Bowl .

Any idea what jersey combo we are wearing tomorrow

There's less chance that anyone will notice when we lose to Elon during a non-televised Thursday game.

There's less chance that anyone will notice when we lose to Elon during a non-televised Thursday game.

If this happens, I suggest we just burn it all down, salt the earth and focus on fielding a top 5 debate team.

Back