• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wilbekin on Kennard, Why?

I watched the play over & over. In fact I just watched it again on the ACC website. Yes Giles was moving, but no there didn't look to be any contact. He made Wilbekin run wide almost on the baseline. So you have to ask yourself as the baseline official--Was the screen moving or was their contact? Pick and rolls are perfect examples of "moving screens" and Stockton & Malone made the NBA HOF doing that. They are perfectly legal. What makes a screen illegal is illegal contact--screens by their nature are going to create contact because that is what they do. If a defense pushes thru the screener, the foul is on the defense. If the defense just wallops the screener because he doesn't see him [blind screen], bounces off but doesn't push thru, no foul--incidental contact. However if the screener sets if but moves an elbow or knee into the defender to knock them off their path, thus creating the illegal contact, then it is a foul.

Personally I would have liked to have seen McClinton tried on Kennard late in the 2nd half because obviously what we were doing with our guards wasn't working!

as someone else said, it would have been better if Wilby had run into Giles leg and got caught up as Giles was moving - the official would almost have had to call something...

I watched the play over & over. In fact I just watched it again on the ACC website. Yes Giles was moving, but no there didn't look to be any contact. He made Wilbekin run wide almost on the baseline. So you have to ask yourself as the baseline official--Was the screen moving or was their contact? Pick and rolls are perfect examples of "moving screens" and Stockton & Malone made the NBA HOF doing that. They are perfectly legal. What makes a screen illegal is illegal contact--screens by their nature are going to create contact because that is what they do. If a defense pushes thru the screener, the foul is on the defense. If the defense just wallops the screener because he doesn't see him [blind screen], bounces off but doesn't push thru, no foul--incidental contact. However if the screener sets if but moves an elbow or knee into the defender to knock them off their path, thus creating the illegal contact, then it is a foul.

Personally I would have liked to have seen McClinton tried on Kennard late in the 2nd half because obviously what we were doing with our guards wasn't working!

There was contact, just not a hard collision. This was a foul regardless of the fact that MW didn't slam into Giles. A screener has to be set and Giles plainly wasn't set and actually didn't ever get set, he was still shifting/pushing as MW ran around him and continued to shift when MW was past him. It would've definitely been called had MW slammed into Giles, but that didn't happen and obviously you couldn't have expected MW to do that to "get the call" as his mindset was to chase Kennard around.

If Collins doesn't make room for Wilbekin to get above the screen it's his responsibility to help. Obviously they've called Doral for less of a moving screen but refs generally swallow their whistles to close out games so it was a predictable no-call. We were in denial and should have switched on any pick, Collins ended up 5 feet north of Giles and 5 feet south of Kennard in no-man's land not defending anyone. Just a bad moment to suffer a lack of awareness of the situation.

If Collins doesn't make room for Wilbekin to get above the screen it's his responsibility to help. Obviously they've called Doral for less of a moving screen but refs generally swallow their whistles to close out games so it was a predictable no-call. We were in denial and should have switched on any pick, Collins ended up 5 feet north of Giles and 5 feet south of Kennard in no-man's land not defending anyone. Just a bad moment to suffer a lack of awareness of the situation.
Do you think Coach Manning gave them that specific instruction in the huddle, or any one of the dozens of practices they've had? That's pretty basic basketball info. If he did, do you think they just forgot? If he didn't, do you think he should have?

Are Manning and his staff responsible for any part of the failure of that play? If they are, why can't you bring yourself to say so instead of blaming only the players?

Really? I think if you look at the actual rule if the screener keeps moving so that he gives the defender no chance to even move around him, that's an illegal screen.

Back