• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would hiring Danny Manning "save face" for Wellman and be a "big name hire"?

Saves face? Big enough name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Would hiring Danny Manning "save face" for Wellman and be a "big name hire"?

those are quotes that have been relayed to me pertaining to Wellman's thinking on this hire.

Is the Manning name big enough to save face for Ronny boy?

Ill say this. No one hears Danny Manning and thinks "who"? Unlike [Redacted]. But this is just as much of a gut instinct hire. And Wellman doesn't have the benefit of the doubt right now. So, no.

I doubt we would ever know but my question is: does Wellman think Manning is a home run/big name hire? If he actually does, we've got an issue.

Put another way: If Danny fucking Manning with all of two years at Tulsa is the best can manage to hire, Wellman needs to join [Redacted] in retirement.

Ill say this. No one hears Danny Manning and thinks "who"? Unlike [Redacted]. But this is just as much of a gut instinct hire. And Wellman doesn't have the benefit of the doubt right now. So, no.

This. It's a known-name but it's not the home-run hit Wellman needed. The pundits will call it a good hire but we really needed someone with a proven track record. Manning *could* turn this around. But we're back to "wait and see" and that's not what we, this team, or this school needed right now.

Fucking embarrassing hire. And no "yes" votes yet. Silent majority is making itself known.

Only a Shaka Smart coup would have done that. Anybody else and it is wait and see. Gregg Marshalll wasn't coming here.

"Most candidates are still in the tournament", that says a lot. I believe Manning was out of the tournament when this was said. Watch though, Ron will say he was the number one candidate from day 1.

Only a Shaka Smart coup would have done that. Anybody else and it is wait and see. Gregg Marshalll wasn't coming here.

Agree that there were few "splash" hires, but there are plenty of coaches between Shaka and Manning that we either didn't interview or weren't interested. Either way it is pretty bad.

Agree that there were few "splash" hires, but there are plenty of coaches between Shaka and Manning that we either didn't interview or weren't interested. Either way it is pretty bad.

It sounds like we contracted several coaches who said thanks but no thanks.

Which falls on Wellman's shoulders, wouldn't you agree?

True. But part of it is the landscape too. VT made splashy hire with someone we wouldn't touch. Marquette has good tradition and they hired Wojo.

It's good to see that Danny Manning's mom voted in this poll.

This. It's a known-name but it's not the home-run hit Wellman needed. The pundits will call it a good hire but we really needed someone with a proven track record. Manning *could* turn this around. But we're back to "wait and see" and that's not what we, this team, or this school needed right now.

Agree. After hiring Bz, nothing short of Smart or Marshall could have redeemed Wellman. It would have been a different story had he hired a Manning-like candidate four years ago; unspectacular, but not obviously doomed to failure. Now, though, unless Manning immediately takes us to great heights, Wellman has cost Wake at least 5-6 years (and maybe 9-10) of success because he hired the worst coach in the history of the universe, [name redacted].

I doubt we would ever know but my question is: does Wellman think Manning is a home run/big name hire? If he actually does, we've got an issue.

No way he does, but he will still say he was his first choice despite saying most of the candidates were coaching in the tournament when Manning was our. Obviously most, and first choice are different but Manning was at the bottom of the list and certainly not above guys like Marshall, Shaka, Howland, Mack, Archie, Wright by any standard.

Back