• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Yet another example of how money & greed are ruining college athletics

This is easier to fix than a bad defense. The bloom is off the Brady, just ask tOSU. But with that said, they haven't had a sub 100K crowd since '76. The kids will keep the heat on the AD until thing change, and thing will change. Now if they charge $295 for the Women field hockey games, would anybody notice?

The complaint about not being able to sit together is a pretty weak and shitty one. How hard is it to walk into the game together with your friends? I agree with basically everything in the article but that's a pretty crappy (and lazy) reason to not go to the games any more.

Michigan isn't the only school who has been raising ticket prices. But they;re one of the first to use "dynamic" pricing where ticket prices fluctuate based on demand

I'm amazed how eagerly universities have sold their souls to TV. It wasn't always this way. Michigan's legendary coach, Bo Schembechler, often said, "Toe meets leather at 1:05. If you want to televise it, fine. If you don't, that's fine too."

Bo's boss, Don Canham, backed him. For years, TV was dying for a night game at the Big House. Canham wasn't. So, they compromised -- and didn't have one.

If season-ticket holders want night games, give 'em what they want. But nobody likes waiting for TV to decide when your favorite team is going to play that week -- especially fans flying in from far away.

Why do the people who run college football let TV spoil your day at the stadium? TV doesn't make spectators at the Indy 500, the Masters or the World Cup wait for their ads -- yet those events still make billions. If the TV whizzes can't figure out how to make a buck on football without ruining the experience for paying customers, those fans will figure it out for themselves, and stay home.

i thought this paragraph of the article was perhaps the most perceptive:

Athletic directors need to remember the people in the stands are not customers. They're believers. Break faith with your flock, and you will not get them back with fancier wine.

If you treat your fans like customers long enough, eventually they'll start behaving that way, reducing their irrational love for their team to a cool-headed, dollars-and-cents decision to buy tickets or not, with no more emotional investment than deciding whether to go to the movies or buy new tires.

That pretty much describes how my relationship with Wake Forest athletics has changed over the last 5 years or so. They started treating me like a customer and feeding me bad PR along with higher prices, and I started acting like a customer and not buying their product.

i thought this paragraph of the article was perhaps the most perceptive:

That pretty much describes how my relationship with Wake Forest athletics has changed over the last 5 years or so. They started treating me like a customer and feeding me bad PR along with higher prices, and I started acting like a customer and not buying their product.

+1. I think your comment sums it up for many of us.

Same here. I'm doing other things this fall. I've resigned myself to being a bad fan.

Back