• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athlon 2013 ACC prdictions

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
While not always the most precise with the information, I find the ACC predictions to be fairly close.
I can see us actually being tied for 3rd with a 4-4 conference record. I can see us winning as many as 8 games or as few as 4. Just depends on the offensive line and our running backs I would think

Atlantic

Clemson--12-1 & 8-0--picked 6th
FSU--10-2 & 7-1--picked 15th
MD--7-5 & 4-4--picked 53rd
NC State--7-5 & 3-5--picked 54th
Wake--6-6 & 3-5--picked 70th
Syracuse--4-8 & 2-6--picked 75th
BC--4-8 & 1-7--picked 84th

Coastal

Miami--9-4 & 6-2--picked 29th--round table David Fox says possible Top 15
VT--8-4 & 5-3--picked 30th
GT--8-4 & 5-3--picked 34th but in the round table Mitch Light makes a case for winning Coastal w/ Vad Lee
UNC-Ch--8-4 7 5-3--picked 38th
Pitt--6-6 & 3-5--picked 52nd
UVa--4-8 & 2-6--picked 62nd
Duke--5-5 & 2-6--picked 73rd

If we start 3-1 or 4-0 then I definitely think we go bowling with games at Groves vs. Duke, State and Maryland, while we travel to Syracuse.

Big game against BC in the 2nd game of the year as far as our bowl hopes are concerned.

I can see us winning as many as 8 games or as few as 4. Just depends on the offensive line and our running backs I would think

That and the defensive line. And the secondary. And special teams. And the kicking game. And the coaching staff.

Shorty, I think the defense is going to be real good actually. The punting with "mate" will be real good--no worries, mate.

Shorty, I think the defense is going to be real good actually. The punting with "mate" will be real good--no worries, mate.

How 'bout the returns there mate? A few years ago, we didn't give up hardly any yards on punt returns in one whole season. Last year, only 1 team out of 120 gave up more. And only 1 team allowed as many as 3 TD's on punt returns for last season. Care to guess who? (I know when you're shooting for the punt record, you have to expect some returns, but at least we got "Mate" in the record book).

Total. 85th out of 120 in average yards allowed per returned punt. Also had more punts returned against us than anybody else did. Makes sense.

Total. 85th out of 120 in average yards allowed per returned punt. Also had more punts returned against us than anybody else did. Makes sense.

Still not very good, but since we punted 15 times more than any other team in the nation, it would make sense that we allowed the 2nd most yards.

A close look at the NCAA stats for 2012, shows that we were terrible in most offensive, defensive, and special teams categories. Unofficial stats that we probably led the nation in, include most punts from the opponent 38 yard line, and most times penalized for 2 players on the field at the same time, with the same number on.

Well we all know when your defense and offense are bad the best solution is to make the field longer for your offense and shorter for your defense. We perfected that will piss poor kick coverage and an embarrassingly bad return game. It was mind-blowing how bad our kick return game was. If we caught the ball on the 2 yard line, it was a major accomplishment to get past the 15. I'm really surprised Grobe didn't just instruct our guys to let it bounce and hope we get it at the 20. How many drives did we start inside the 15 after a kickoff? 20?

Are Maryland and NC State supposed to be good this year? I feel like we should be better than them.

Are Maryland and NC State supposed to be good this year? I feel like we should be better than them.

I think Maryland could be....I don't know who they lost, but they were decimated by injuries last year.

State's defense will be solid, our front 7 especially. I don't think anyone know's what to expect with our offense but we do have some play makers in Rashard Smith and a WR that was cleared to play right away (transfer from WVU). Some talent at RB but it's young or injury prone. OL will be key as it is for every team, and former 5* LT Rob Crisp needs to be healthy for that unit to produce the way it should. That said we really don't know what to expect out of the offense or even what type of I'm expecting a 7-5 season as the floor just based on the schedule. We play a ridiculous 8 home games with only one of them being against a team with more talent in Clemson. Then the 4 away games are Duke, Wake, BC, and FSU. It's just a joke schedule in terms of difficulty. I'd be shocked if we didn't go 6-2 at home and if we didn't steal one of the road from the trio of Duke, WF, or BC. So who knows if we will be a good team next season, but the schedule it's self will lead to us looking better than we really are.

I feel like we can win both those games certainly I think we have BC, NC State, MD, Syracuse & Duke as very winnable ACC games. I do not have FSU, Clemson or Miami in the winnable column.

The defense will only be "good" if the offense is better. Our defense has the potential to be good, IF they don't have to spend 3/4th's of the game on the field because the offense is incapable of giving them rest and field position.

Well we all know when your defense and offense are bad the best solution is to make the field longer for your offense and shorter for your defense. We perfected that will piss poor kick coverage and an embarrassingly bad return game. It was mind-blowing how bad our kick return game was. If we caught the ball on the 2 yard line, it was a major accomplishment to get past the 15. I'm really surprised Grobe didn't just instruct our guys to let it bounce and hope we get it at the 20. How many drives did we start inside the 15 after a kickoff? 20?

At the 25. We could get touchbacks at the 25. At least through the FSU game, out staff didn't realize teams were intentionally not kicking the ball into the end zone even though it was a common national trend.

Oh shit, forgot about the rule change. We were voluntarily giving up 10ish yards nearly every time we received a kickoff. Embarrassing.

At the 25. We could get touchbacks at the 25. At least through the FSU game, out staff didn't realize teams were intentionally not kicking the ball into the end zone even though it was a common national trend.

Yeah, I think they were the only ones in the stadium or watching on TV that didn't realize it. Hopkins could kick the ball out of the endzone anytime he wanted, but the odds of us returning a kick past the 25 were slim to none.

Wait, State only plays four road games and they're against Wake,BC,Duke, and FSU? Come on State.

As a side note I don't think State or Maryland will be good at all.

Yeah, I think they were the only ones in the stadium or watching on TV that didn't realize it. Hopkins could kick the ball out of the endzone anytime he wanted, but the odds of us returning a kick past the 25 were slim to none.

It wasn't just that Hopkins was doing it. It's that from an hour into Week 1, anybody watching games could see the top teams were popping up their kicks to pin teams inside the 20. I don't know if UNC did it to us, but our staff should have immediately recognized it when FSU was doing it. Lining up the return man 15 yards up after the penalty was just atrocious coaching.

Back