• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PG camp for Tony

JimDuncan

Reaction score
Can we get him to hang out with Randolph and Rusty all day and then just watch non-stop Clippers games at night??

Love the effort, great kick outs today, and a HUGE 3 at the end but still lacking some refined PG skills.

I feel like he's a guy I laud in one game and loathe the next.

We're behind you TC - keep stepping your game up, son.

This doesn't need a separate thread but just wanted to post for the smell of it.

Yes, he could learn from McQueen, Charlie Harrison, Brod, Ervin Murray...hell even Fitz. Learn how to pass amigo.

I think Tony is just gonna be one of those guys who isn't gonna be all world or anything but will just be a solid player by his senior year. He's got some improving to do but wasn't Ish the same way with his decision making during his early years at Wake? And no I'm not comparing the two but they have similiar qualities. He'll be fine he just needs coaching at plent of playing time. Seems Tony is doing some of the same things that Ish did like driving too deep in the lane and not being a very good 3 pt. shooter. Ish was faster than Tony but both are NOT scared to drive the lane. I thought of Ish today at the end of the VT game. I couldn't help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQ609KdjQg&feature=related

Obviously we know TC means well and tries to win us a game. Sometimes he gets to deep in the lane, almost tries to be a post player. However, the good thing is, he gets into the lane. Yet he needs to kick it out once he gets into the lane. I dont think chase fischer gets enough good looks, and if TC gets into the lane enough and kicks it to Fischer, he will have more 3 opportunities

You can't really develop court vision and athleticism to a certain point. You either have it or you don't. BBall IQ kinda fits into that category as well.

I think Tony is just gonna be one of those guys who isn't gonna be all world or anything but will just be a solid player by his senior year. He's got some improving to do but wasn't Ish the same way with his decision making during his early years at Wake? And no I'm not comparing the two but they have similiar qualities. He'll be fine he just needs coaching at plent of playing time. Seems Tony is doing some of the same things that Ish did like driving too deep in the lane and not being a very good 3 pt. shooter. Ish was faster than Tony but both are NOT scared to drive the lane. I thought of Ish today at the end of the VT game. I couldn't help but think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQ609KdjQg&feature=related

Dorenzo Hudson sighting.... What was up with him tonight? Also, Dino was wearing a Bz tie....

Obviously we know TC means well and tries to win us a game. Sometimes he gets to deep in the lane, almost tries to be a post player. However, the good thing is, he gets into the lane. Yet he needs to kick it out once he gets into the lane. I dont think chase fischer gets enough good looks, and if TC gets into the lane enough and kicks it to Fischer, he will have more 3 opportunities

Agreed. I'm not worried about Tony. He'll be fine he's just gonna have to learn and we'll just have to be patient. It will take time.

Can we get him to hang out with Randolph and Rusty all day and then just watch non-stop Clippers games at night??

Love the effort, great kick outs today, and a HUGE 3 at the end but still lacking some refined PG skills.

I feel like he's a guy I laud in one play of the game and loathe the next.

We're behind you TC - keep stepping your game up, son.

This doesn't need a separate thread but just wanted to post for the smell of it.

FIFY

Without the 18 bad ones we wouldn't have needed the 2 good ones. Love his effort and grit, but he is not an ACC starter by any means. It is painfully obvious.

He is the only PG worthy of time this year.

Hi.
cj-harris-action-bio.jpg

CJ is our best 1 and 2. Chase is a better 2 than TC/Fields is a 1.

No he's not anjd CJ will wear down playing PG. We need CJ's scoring.

No he's not anjd CJ will wear down playing PG. We need CJ's scoring.

CJ is better than Tony at everything, but we need him at SG. Tony could be a decent point if he would keep his head up and look to pass, instead of running blindly into his defenders stomach like a battering ram. He should also learn to pump fake sometime this year, instead of getting blocked into the ground on 75% of his flailing, unathletic layup attempts.

Last edited:
CJ is better than Tony at everything, but we need him at SG. Tony could be a decent point if he would keep his head up and look to pass, instead of running blindly into his defenders stomach like a battering ram. He should also learn to pump fake sometime this year, instead of getting blocked into the ground on 75% of his flailing, unathletic layup attempts.

Yep. Pretty hard to argue with ya there. Penetrate and kick out when you enter the lane from the top. His baseline drives are much more effective finishes.

I honestly don't want to come down hard on the guy, because I believe that he plays as hard as he can, but it seems that once he decides to drive the ball he stops looking to pass, and when he draws multiple defenders, he doesn't kick out. On top of that, he drives too deep, to where he gets trapped directly under the basket. Ish, along with the best passing points in the NBA, most often drive to about 4 feet and then pick up their dribble, which opens up the floater, the lob, a reverse to a 3 point shooter, the bounce pass to a rim run, etc. Unless you can absolutely get to the rim, quick, (Tony cant) it's never good for a point guard to go all the way under the basket like Tony does on ALL his drives.

love to see him pass more upon entering the lane...lots more potential for this team as a whole if he can...is willing to do that...

Please don't forget Ish was very frustrating to watch for 2.5 years. Then he became NBA material. It wasn't like he was great from the start. People sometimes just remember the senoir year. I expect TC's senior year to be much better, though it may be tough getting PT with Chase and CMM.

We definitely just need to live with TC's mistakes. He is essentially a freshman still. CJ has to play the 2, and take over on the point in clutch situations. It is like when JG tried to play PG, it just took away from everythign else he does. If Dukes or Harvey could have done anything at PG, Skip would have moved JG back to 2 in a second. AF can be good, but he just isn't ready yet. No reason to throw him under the bus yet. He needs experience, but Buzz had to make the call for who was going to get the reps, and he decided it was Tony. That's the right call. TC is well ahead of AF now, though AF showed flashes of what he can do early on.

Back