• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PG camp for Tony

No, you need players to make themselves available.

The job of the PG in this offense is to get it started so we get good shots. somehow our two leading scorers are each shooting over 50%.

Yea thank god for Tony's 2 assists per game, otherwise Travis would sit in the corner bricking 3s with a 19% FG%.

You realize TC wouldn't get half the crap he does if you hadn't gone on and on about how this Philly PG was going to be the leader of the team for years to come. He's come in and bricked layups. That's not good.

Ish was pretty terrible his first two years, however he had tons of raw tools which he transferred into skills, along with improving his mental side of the game. TC doesn't have the raw tools.

TC has not beaten a single man guarding him one-on-one in the half-court in his career at Wake. I know a couple of times he's had really awful players trying to guard him (BC's walk-on last year, the guy from Wofford this year) and we've tried to iso him, but TC just couldn't get around them. That's the biggest thing that cripples what his potential, beyond all his obvious flaws.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was referring to his freshman year. That was the year when cries of "Not ACC material!" were loudest.

Ish was playing at a fast pace, getting the ball to open teammates Swinton, Hale, Visser, etc. Sometimes they'd convert, sometimes not.

Ahhh got ya, just misunderstood which time frame you were talking about. His assist numbers that season were extremely impressive given his teammates.

With Swinton, it was more of a question of catching the ball than converting the shot. I remember one play where he finally secured the ball with those two stone clubs of his that he called hands, and he proceeded to launch the ball over the backboard from 2 feet away.

Ha! Those were the days

Statsheet calls it possession percentage. Same stat.

RJ may be the biggest homer of any person on this planet. First President Obama and now Tony. Jesus dude, take off the blinders.

Ish (and the team) was instructed to play at break neck pace by Skip his freshman year. Skip said we'll deal with the mistakes, but I want you to fly and push the pace and run no matter what. That is what he did and that was his strength. That will get you more than a couple extra assists/game. Ish made lots of great decisions and some pretty bad ones his first 15-20 games he started as PG. And yes, Tony has only started as PG about 15-20 games and is running a MUCH different offense.

Lets pump the breaks here. He played with 2 NBAers his soph year, 3 his junior year, and then with several really good older players his senior year as well as AFA. It's lets not use revisionist history to say he played with some scrubs.

No one on any of those teams could consistently hit a jump shot. Exhibit A: Harvey Hale was the best shooting teammate Ish ever had.

No one on any of those teams could consistently hit a jump shot. Exhibit A: Harvey Hale was the best shooting teammate Ish ever had.

Teague, Harris, Clark, Stewart and Drum don't count? You could probably throw Skeen in there, too.

So Tony basically uses as many possesions as CJ, but we don't have any really viable options on offense right now outside of Travis and CJ... no surprise.

First # is usage (the % of possessions used while on the court), 2nd is ORating (basically offensive efficiency). BTW high usage is supposed to be above 23 and low ORating is below 104.

Travis 25.3, 107.8
CJ 24, 118.3
TC 23.3, 96.8
Nikita 20.1, 86.9
Carson 14, 95.7
Chase 13.6, 102.4
Ty 13.1, 126

In short, we need some better offensive players.

Teague, Harris, Clark, Stewart and Drum don't count? You could probably throw Skeen in there, too.

The Harvey Hale thing is wrong, but our team was notoriously bad at shooting for 3-4 straight years, completely coinciding with Ish's time at Wake. Between Drum's season of decent shooting in 06-07, and Clark & CJ in 09-10, Ish had no shooters.

RJ may be the biggest homer of any person on this planet. First President Obama and now Tony. Jesus dude, take off the blinders.

Personally, I'd put Jesus ahead of President Obama and Tony.

You may be the blindest person on the planet.

Please explain to me how saying Tony is a decent backup PG who will get 10-15mpg next year and is our best PG option this by default is being such a homer?

For me, when Tony is not going good, his turnovers in traffic are just horrible. They are, hate to say it, but rec league turnovers.

In some ways, he is like Nikita - when he's in a groove and the game has slowed down in his head, he's pretty good, but he can't keep the game slow in his head so when it speeds up, he and we are in trouble.

I look at Nikita and he looks like a major conference player. He's tall and long and he has a nice stroke from deep. And he's tough as nails I can see why Georgetown gave him a scholly. He passes the eye test, but then he has stretches of play that ... hurt the eyes.

Tony is like Jarrett Jack light. I don't expect him to ever dominate, but he is going to be able to overpower younger less physical players in year 3 and year 4. That'll help, but unless he is suddenly able to hit layups in year 3 the way Big E could in year 2, the question is whether he can transition into a 15-20 minute player ...

Back