• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Example 100,120 of Why College Basketball Officials Are the Worst

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
The officiating in NCAAB really is in bad shape. Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like the perceived favoritism and/or simply blown calls have been way more common in NCAAB than any other college or pro sport over the last several years. Now, I have no data to back that up, but it seems to be the case based on what I've watched myself.

Out of curiosity, does any fanbase thing that their sport has good officiating? I think the NFL is decent, but I think that, all told, the NHL probably does the best job. Basketball is horrible across the board, and college football is often sub-par. Don't know enough about baseball to make an informed judgement.

seriously. seems to me there should be a ref watching the game on TV. less having to run up and down the court worrying about being in the right position. and as other wake fans have seemed to realize, no sense in going to the game when the best seat in the house is on your couch.

Out of curiosity, does any fanbase thing that their sport has good officiating? I think the NFL is decent, but I think that, all told, the NHL probably does the best job. Basketball is horrible across the board, and college football is often sub-par. Don't know enough about baseball to make an informed judgement.

You think the NHL refs are good?

This racket has got to be broken up. They are terrible at their jobs, and its getting worse every year.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/1/28/2755175/west-virginia-vs-syracuse-goaltend-video

I'm not trying to make this political but its eerily similar to big labor. They're getting paid because they know each other, not because of their performance. Its becoming embarrassing.

In what way is it possibly similar to big labor? Please enlighten me, Brasky.

You think the NHL refs are good?

I do, actually. I watch quite a bit of hockey where I'm a neutral observer and while there are definitely bad games sometimes, usually I think they do a pretty good job of staying out of the way and letting the players determine the outcome of the game. There is always room for improvement, but I think it is fairly uncommon that the outcome of a game is determined by poor officiating.

seriously. seems to me there should be a ref watching the game on TV. less having to run up and down the court worrying about being in the right position. and as other wake fans have seemed to realize, no sense in going to the game when the best seat in the house is on your couch.

True, the best view is always right in front of the TV with 4 camera angles & slow motion replay. But the game is in real time and there are 3 guys trying to watch 10 incredible athletes run in a confined 94 x 50 space.

This racket has got to be broken up. They are terrible at their jobs, and its getting worse every year.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/1/28/2755175/west-virginia-vs-syracuse-goaltend-video

I'm not trying to make this political but its eerily similar to big labor. They're getting paid because they know each other, not because of their performance. Its becoming embarrassing.

Definitely missed the call but you have no replay for that. No diffference than a missed travel call that leads to a basket in the first minute of the game. Still 2 points

True, the best view is always right in front of the TV with 4 camera angles & slow motion replay. But the game is in real time and there are 3 guys trying to watch 10 incredible athletes run in a confined 94 x 50 space.

Are there really 10 incredible athletes in a typical girls high school game?

For as long as I've watched, refs just call what they anticipate as much as what they see. You cannot play defense down low most of the time because anything you do will result in a quick whistle.

I also never understand why players fall into the trap of being guilty of and-ones. You know the ref is going to call a foul on a breakaway, so either foul hard or let him pass. None of this swiping your hand in the general direction of the ball stuff.

For as long as I've watched, refs just call what they anticipate as much as what they see. You cannot play defense down low most of the time because anything you do will result in a quick whistle.

I also never understand why players fall into the trap of being guilty of and-ones. You know the ref is going to call a foul on a breakaway, so either foul hard or let him pass. None of this swiping your hand in the general direction of the ball stuff.

Actually we are taught not ot anticipate. If you did that, there would be all kinds of whistles for anticipated fouls, travels and other things these guys can do with the basketball. Things that never happen. Still get caught some on that but they have much more patient whistles

You are taught to watch the defense so you can catch their position when the offense is on their move to the hole. But the secondary defender is what gets everybody in trouble. That is the guys who waits near the basket to catch the unsuspecting offensive player on the charge [ be it Duke or whoever, they all do it ]. Now with the 3 foot arc on the floor it is supposed to make it easier. Since it is an automatic block call if the secondary defender's feet are on or inside the arc, that part is easier. And you can get help on the call from a partner on whether they see feet on the line or outside the line [ similar to help or changing a 3 point shot ]

I agree with theReff in that the game is difficult to call. But that doesn't change the fact that the current refs are doing a lousy job in the college game. Are they just bad refs? Is the system bad? Or are they just tired? Who knows? Left on their own, the refs wont fix it because it works for them. It's the players, most of the coaches and most of the fans who are not getting a good deal.

The system probably needs to be changed. The refs should only be allowed to call two games per week, max, no more. And their travel also ought to be limited. Whatever changes happen they will cost more money. But right now the fans and the players are being short-changed big time.

I agree with theReff in that the game is difficult to call. But that doesn't change the fact that the current refs are doing a lousy job in the college game. Are they just bad refs? Is the system bad? Or are they just tired? Who knows? Left on their own, the refs wont fix it because it works for them. It's the players, most of the coaches and most of the fans who are not getting a good deal.

The system probably needs to be changed. The refs should only be allowed to call two games per week, max, no more. And their travel also ought to be limited. Whatever changes happen they will cost more money. But right now the fans and the players are being short-changed big time.

Refs are independent contractors so that is like saying you can't work but 2 days a week. Plus they work for individual conferences. A lot of the conference supervisors do 3 or 4 leagues so they do mix & match the schedules and have the top priority of their guys [ i.e ACC-Colonial done by Clogherty, Mike Wood does the Southern.

What woulkd be good is to get more younger guys in the mix and start working them in. But you would be surprised in that the coaches want the experienced guys that they know in the games. They trust them in crunch time and know what to expect.

Didn't say they didn't miss calls...but they like the experience they bring to the big stage.

And remember, coaches are the guys on the rules committee, so they are in charge of changing the rules [ like the 3 ft arc & the 3 pointer going to 20'6" ].

I understand that refs are independent contractors and have a general idea of how the system works. That's why I suggested systemic change. Airline pilots are limited in how much they are allowed to fly in a given time periods. Why can't refs be?

I'm sure the coaches are partly to blame. The game has deteriorated (too much contact around the lane makes for ugly basketball) and that's partly responsible for the poor officiating as well.

It is up to the coaches and the NCAA to change things for the better. And it's up to the fans to put the pressure on them and to keep it on. I'm sure the players and the refs can and will adjust. If they can't, then they wont be around too long.

Back