• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Staffing Update

I really needed a shot in the arm this week. This gave it to me. It's going to be very interesting to see who he can bring in to coach the secondary.

I'm a little worried that it looks like we won't have a secondary coach in place for at least some of spring practice

Sounds like he's very happy with Galloway. He offers a good explanation for his recent hires, and I'm anxious to see how we perform in a strictly 3-4 defense.

un-combining the OC/O-Line position is the move that many on these boards have been yelling about for years. Hopefully this move will improve offensive efficiency and maybe allow Lobo more mental space to make good adjustments during games. Interesting that Grobe said he has been wanting to make the move for years.

un-combining the OC/O-Line position is the move that many on these boards have been yelling about for years. Hopefully this move will improve offensive efficiency and maybe allow Lobo more mental space to make good adjustments during games. Interesting that Grobe said he has been wanting to make the move for years.

If we can't get rid of Lobo as OC, let's at least get him in the booth where he can see the damn field. One of the biggest complaints I've read over and over has been that our play calling seems scripted rather than reactionary to what the other team is doing or giving us. Being on the sidelines has to be part of that.

If we can't get rid of Lobo as OC, let's at least get him in the booth where he can see the damn field. One of the biggest complaints I've read over and over has been that our play calling seems scripted rather than reactionary to what the other team is doing or giving us. Being on the sidelines has to be part of that.

I have not been able to verify this, but someone with connections to the players has said to me before, he scripts the first 25-30 offensive plays of the game ahead of time and doesnt deviate from it. If true, it would explain a lot.

I was thinking Derrick Jackson was going to coach DL and not OLBs

Eh, lots of OC's call games from the sidelines.

His scripted sequences seem to work much better than what he calls on the fly later in the game. It felt like we scored on our first drive every game this year. Even if it was 7 or 8 of 13, that's a much higher rate than we scored later in the game. Hopefully getting to the booth will allow him more flexibility to adjust on the fly.

Eh, lots of OC's call games from the sidelines.

And they probably do a much better job than Lobo. Something isn't working for Lobo, so getting him upstairs might help. Maybe I'm just reaching for anything that might improve our play calling. :D

That said, what do you think the percentage is of OC's who call from the sidelines vs the booth in college?

Lobo has been on the sidelines before and was moved to the booth and then back to the sidelines.

Lobo has been on the sidelines before and was moved to the booth and then back to the sidelines.

I suspect the reason he's been on the sidelines had to do with coaching the OC though. Too many players to try to coach them via a headset from the booth.

And they probably do a much better job than Lobo. Something isn't working for Lobo, so getting him upstairs might help. Maybe I'm just reaching for anything that might improve our play calling. :D

That said, what do you think the percentage is of OC's who call from the sidelines vs the booth in college?

My guess would be that a little more than 50% call games from the booth, but if you factor in the head coaches who call the plays it goes the other way.

ETA: My last response was mostly just a "don't get your hopes up" kind of thing. My guess is if you don't like his play calling now you won't like it any better from the booth. For better or worse, Lobo largely calls the games the way Grobe wants him to, which is why his job is not and has not been in jeopardy.

I sit right behind the circle of chairs that the OL sits in when the D is on the field. My biggest gripe with Lobo as OC/OL Coach has always been that he spends 90 percent of the time that the O is off the field coaching the OL rather than confabbing with the QB or adjusting schemes.

I've never coached football at any level, but it seems like there are other things he can use his time for while the O is off the field now that he isn't having to coach the OL.

With all the young O-Linemen this season, it will be good to have someone that solely concentrates on them...

OLB's in most 3-4 schemes are pretty similar to DE's in a 4-3 anyway.

It annoys me when Grobe makes passive statements like this as if he's not the head football coach with complete power to do what he wants to do.

Still it's good to see he came to the same conclusion many of us have had for years. It's just too much for one coach, especially a new OC to do all that.

I'm curious about Grobe taking his time to get a coach to replace Russ. As it looks, he's going to be down one coach for the Spring. Of course, the alternative is hiring an experienced coach right before coaching Spring wherever they are.

Back