• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Staffing Update

Yeah, I'm curious what Dirk would say.

Dirk: "Coach, there are Wake fans who thought Lobo had too many responsibilities coaching the largest unit on the team and coordinating the offense. How crazy is that?"

Grobe: "They were right."

Dan has an extended interview with Grobe up with more quotes. Referring to the timing issue I mentioned above, Grobe's quotes to Dan make it seem like he already has somebody in mind and may have them in place before the Spring. I'm curious if others read it the same way. Getting an experienced secondary coach would be huge. Aside from describing Derrick Jackson as "articulate", it's a good interview.

Grobe on Staff: Part V

MTOW: How fast are you moving to replace Steve Russ, the secondary coach who left to return to Air Force?
Grobe: “We’re not moving very fast to be honest with you because we’ve got to have the right guy. One of the things that I think hurt us a little bit – and it’s not a slam against anybody – but what I’ve always just tried to hire the best people. And I don’t really care so much about what they coach. But I think this is one of those unique situations.

“I think we saw when we brought in Lonnie Galloway last year what a real, for real receivers coach could do with our guys. I think they really played well. I think the same thing is going to be true if we can find the right guy in the secondary. I think moving Steve was back there was a good thing last year, but Steve had not coached the secondary before. I thought he did a really, really good job with them for a guy who’s never coached them before.

“But I think we’re in a position right now where if we’re patient we might be able to find somebody with a little bit more experience in the secondary that could really, hopefully, come in a do some of the same things that Lonnie did with the wideouts. If we could find the right guy he could maybe come in and get our secondary cranked up pretty quick.

MTOW: How important is it to have the new guy in place when spring practice starts on March 1?

Grobe: “Not real, real important. I think we hired Lonnie the day before spring practice. We were really late losing Brad Lambert. So I think for us more than anything it’s getting the right guy. I don’t know who that is right now but he’s out there somewhere so I’m going to try to be as patient as possible and we’ll just kind of see who we come up with. I just want to make sure that the person we put back there with that secondary is experienced enough that when he gets here he can hit the ground running.

“If you look at some of the kids we have in the secondary I think we have some pretty talented players. And the nice thing is, you have to mesh the secondary with the front as far as run sets are concerned. But basically beyond that, no matter what you’re doing up front, cover two is cover two, man free is man free, three deep is three deep. So I think when we get the guy and get him plugged in, it’s going to be a pretty easy transition if we can find a good secondary coach.
“Because regardless of what we’re doing up front, and that’s what Brian (Knorr) and Derrick (Jackson) and Ray McCartney are working on right now, regardless of what we’re doing with our front, that secondary is going to be pretty much the same whether we are four or three-man front. So I think we’re in a pretty good situation if we can find the right guy to come in. Now if I find a great coach who wasn’t a secondary coach, as a person, then experience wise that wouldn’t bother me. But I think my first thought is to try to find somebody that’s got some good experience as a secondary coach.’‘

You really can't fault PhDeac for some of his comments due to never living in the real world...In the real world there is an element to doing things called timing...There are situations where you may want to do something but the timing isn't or wasn't right and you just have to wait...Everything isn't as cut and dry as it may appear on the surface...All in all I still like Grobe as coach better than some on this board...

You really can't fault PhDeac for some of his comments due to never living in the real world...In the real world there is an element to doing things called timing...There are situations where you may want to do something but the timing isn't or wasn't right and you just have to wait...Everything isn't as cut and dry as it may appear on the surface...All in all I still like Grobe as coach better than some on this board...

Bubba, you do realize Grobe and I both work in the same sector, right?

Back