• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Tabb really have mono?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get the advantage for the university in saying that Tabb had mono as opposed to some virus. Even if the true nature of the virus would be embarrassing or make the university look bad, I don't understand why they would say it's mono when so many people have had mono and/or know the effects last a certain period of time.

Welcome BabyDeac.

QUOTE=Mendacious:

I don't have a reputation across all message boards of being difficult to post with. I have a reputation of not getting along with BuzzOut, who has tried to sabotage my posts. Come on, we all know that. OK, so whatever. :foreveralone:

I see what you did there.

Nice.

What amazes me about WFU is how there is a very strict honor code for students but the university takes liberties with the truth all the time to preserve it's image.
That reminds me of a Winston Churchill quote:

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."

What amazes me about WFU is how there is a very strict honor code for students but the university takes liberties with the truth all the time to preserve it's image.

This is silly. No one is forced to tell the whole truth.

I wonder how many people tell their girlfriend or wife that they look great while not paying any attention to what they are wearing.

Sometimes it's better to protect someone rather than throwing them to the wolves. Of course some her would rather destroy another fomr the safety of the darkness of the internet, than give that person a chance to fix his/her problems.

I'm actually very surprised more coaches haven't put in Twitter and Facebook bans on their teams.

Rumors can destroy chemistry and teams.

Why did Bzzz or anyone have to make a public statement about this mystery illness? Why not just sit his ass on the bench if his conditioning was so bad? It sounds like there are myraid reasons why Tabb didn't play much (including basketball, academic, and personal) but why make something up instead of just saying he hadn't earned his time yet, or as Bzzz did say, he's got academic issues he has to deal with?

Because it's a classy way to protect a kid who was having problems.

Two things:
1) I had mono in high school and it never got bad. Only reason I was diagnosed was because I was getting my blood tested while on Accutane (yes I had acne). But even though I felt fine, I wasn't allowed to play any sports because of the risk of my spleen bursting if it got hit.

2) People were speculating about the legalities of disclosing pro athletes' injuries. I recently had a breaking news story for my paper about a pro athlete who had surgery (a NASCAR Nationwide Series driver from our area) and even though he had posted a picture of himself in the hospital on Twitter, the team told me they couldn't legally confirm that he had surgery because he hadn't signed the release yet. I had to get in touch with him directly to confirm it. Just FYI, thought that was somewhat relevant.

Why did Bzzz or anyone have to make a public statement about this mystery illness? Why not just sit his ass on the bench if his conditioning was so bad? It sounds like there are myraid reasons why Tabb didn't play much (including basketball, academic, and personal) but why make something up instead of just saying he hadn't earned his time yet, or as Bzzz did say, he's got academic issues he has to deal with?

My guess is that if Tabb was benched for no public reason, the fanbase would be up in arms about keeping a kid with the body size that we need out of the game. I'll admit that I would be pissed had no reason been given.

Can somebody answer my question above? Why say it's mono? Why not make a more believable lie?

What would have been more believable?

From my POV, mono would make the most sense for what was described to us. Not much playing time and when he got it, he was lethargic on the court. Like you said, a ton of people have had mono and it's been different for a good number of us.

I think just saying a virus would have been fine instead of an illness that is known to take months to recover from.

Judging from Bz' comments throughout the season, it seems he would have been willing to just say "Tabb needs to work on his condition before he'll be ready to contribute more on the court". Couple that with some spot minutes and that would have been fine.

It was a combination of illness, conditioning and classwork. Why not give him a blanket reason that would give the player enough time to fix all the problems?

This seems like a logical way to help the player remedy his situation with the least negativity directed at him.

I see Ph's point, and maybe in hindsight they wish they had just said that, but I'm guessing it just seemed like the easiest option- say it's mono, nobody questions it. Anything else opens you up to questions.

If he had brought up the conditioning early on, it would have been questioned after every game. It would have put much mroe pressure on Melvin.

It could have also driven a wedge between Melvin and teammates. The more open a problem like this is the more likely there will be resentment.

Did my post somehow get lost, so he might not have had mono, but the excuse that he had mono is still a plausible one. Mono doesn't take months to recover from, mono might not even show all symptoms in individuals. Just because you blindly follow the logic that MONO EQUALS BED FOR MONTHS WORST EXCUSE EVER, doesn't mean it was a bad excuse to use because what you are saying isn't true.

Back