• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Tabb really have mono?

The effects of Mono vary from person to person. By the age of 30 95% of people are seropositive for Epstein-Barr Virus, aka infectious mononucleosis, mono. For around 30% of people EBV will present as infectious mononucleosis with varying degrees of severity. The main symptoms being sever fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands, fever, and spleenomegaly. Acute infection usually lasts between 2-3 weeks while clearance to latent infection takes awhile and varys greatly. Some people sick for months, others a few weeks. Then you also have the 70% of people who become infected with EBV, don't present classic mono symptoms and might not even know they ever had it. This usually presents as a bad cold, flu, a random feeling of blah for a week, etc... If it is bad enough and you think you have the flu you might get tested and bam technically have mono that seems to only last 2 weeks or so. There is no cut and dry symptoms making you have it you don't everyone is different.

Mono was the worst two summer months of my life. I spent 3 days in the hospital because my tonsils swelled so much you could hear my uvula flapping when I would breathe. Three rounds of steroids and a fee weeks later I was finally well enough that I thought I wasn't going to die. For the rest of the time it took every ounce of energy I had to get up to go pee. Then I'd sit on the toilet because I didn't have the energy to stand up. I got it from one of the too many girls I kissed on pledge night. To whomever you were, heres a big FU from me.

It's still wrong for a university employee to post "inside" scoops on a student's protected health information.

Don't disagree at all

I disagree.

He was relaying a rumor related to the university and athletic department's official explanation for Tabb's absence, not releasing any sensitive or specific health issue.

This rumor has definitely popped up before. I think it is up for legitimate discussion and isn't in violation of anything like that. I don't know the complete ins and outs of the law, though, admittedly.

I didn't have it for just a couple of days, it was bad for a couple of days.

Gotcha. I was pretty bad off for nearly two weeks and absolutely worthless after that.

It's still wrong for a university employee to post "inside" scoops on a student's protected health information.

Did he cite his source(s)? If he's posting based upon what he overheard at health services or in official capacity then yes. If he heard it from a player, coach, parent etc. then it's not that much different than anything posted on the thread we had on Questions You Want Real Answers To.

Everyone's favorite DS poster Mendacious doesn't think so! He posted this on DS Premium:

He never had mono. He did have a virus briefly but the mono story was a cover for his piss poor conditioning.

Way to act like a 7th grade girl. Had I (or anyone else for that matter) taken PART of something that one of you said on here and plastered it on DS, I would have raked over the coals. I posted twice on that thread and below are both posts in their entirety:

He never had mono. He did have a virus briefly but the mono story was a cover for his piss poor conditioning.

I'm very pleased that he's apparently working his tail off to get back in good graces and on the team. Seems like he's done some much needed growing up this year.

Very well said. Regarding Tabb's mono story, the information I received was from a couple of players and a player's parent. If it wound up being mono, it was an incredibly light case, otherwise he did a phenomenal job of playing through the pain and weakness.

I know for a fact that Buzz has gone out of his way to protect the best interests of the players while still holding them accountable. There are multiple cases where he took the high ground in order to shield them from media and fan speculations.

From what I've heard, I'm impressed with and proud of Tabb's efforts because it would have been very easy for him to walk away.

If he does, he should be fired for posting that.

Both of these are adressed in what I posted in red. How many other posters on here and on DS are employed by the University or Baptist? A good number of "scoops" and "rumors" come from them. The only reason my post was singled out was because I made it.

I don't have a reputation across all message boards of being difficult to post with. I have a reputation of not getting along with BuzzOut, who has tried to sabotage my posts. Come on, we all know that. OK, so whatever. :foreveralone:

The thing is, I'm not BuzzIn and will probably get flamed for even posting here.

Completely unrelated note: DV7 and Irish (and whomever else helped), you guys have done an impressive job setting up this board. The software and interaction tools are leaps and bounds above DS. Good job.

Good post, Mendacious. I think your original post adds much more to the situation than what was originally posted over here.

Thanks. Welcome over here.

btw, rjkarl isn't at all "BuzzOUT!"

Anything linking medical history and a person's identity is still protected health information. Your quarrel is with HIPAA, not with me.

Please note, though, my posts are intended as positive statements. Unlike RJ, I am just saying it's wrong, not that you or anyone ought to be fired. Except for Buzz.

Anything linking medical history and a person's identity is still protected health information. Your quarrel is with HIPAA, not with me.

Please note, though, my posts are intended as positive statements. Unlike RJ, I am just saying it's wrong, not that you or anyone ought to be fired. Except for Buzz.

I understand what you're saying and apologies for coming across confrontational. Based upon that, should we ever hear about any player's injury or illness? I posted the same information shortly after it was relayed to me and received no backlash then. In fact, I had a couple of prominent insiders confirm it off the boards.

I understand what you're saying and apologies for coming across confrontational. Based upon that, should we ever hear about any player's injury or illness? I posted the same information shortly after it was relayed to me and received no backlash then. In fact, I had a couple of prominent insiders confirm it off the boards.

Good question. I would hope SIDs and PR staffs get the players' OK before releasing/reporting things. Similarly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were some kind of release in scholarships or pro contracts, either. Especially in the NFL, which, revolving around gambling, requires accurate injury reports.

Now for something like NHL hockey, where the most detail you get is "upper body injury" or "lower body injury" and 50% of the time they lie about which half of the player's body is fucked, I don't care so much.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up and for backing up your post Mendacious

HIPAA requirements only apply to health care professionals. And don't apply to student clinics. Those are covered under another law.

I'm very pleased that he's apparently working his tail off to get back in good graces and on the team. Seems like he's done some much needed growing up this year.

Very well said. Regarding Tabb's mono story, the information I received was from a couple of players and a player's parent. If it wound up being mono, it was an incredibly light case, otherwise he did a phenomenal job of playing through the pain and weakness.

I know for a fact that Buzz has gone out of his way to protect the best interests of the players while still holding them accountable. There are multiple cases where he took the high ground in order to shield them from media and fan speculations.

From what I've heard, I'm impressed with and proud of Tabb's efforts because it would have been very easy for him to walk away.

I find nothing in Mendacious' post that contradicts what several have known since the beginning of the season. Mel did have a "mono-like" illness at that time that lasted about a week. However, the mono story was one of several that were fed to the public that were not entirely factual.

What amazes me about WFU is how there is a very strict honor code for students but the university takes liberties with the truth all the time to preserve it's image.

What amazes me about WFU is how there is a very strict honor code for students but the university takes liberties with the truth all the time to preserve it's image.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah. This is the truth.

Also I read this thread from start to finish and was surprised how much I back Medacious and his opinions. Good to have you here, as well as BabyDeac.

Back