• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Tabb really have mono?

Did my post somehow get lost, so he might not have had mono, but the excuse that he had mono is still a plausible one. Mono doesn't take months to recover from, mono might not even show all symptoms in individuals. Just because you blindly follow the logic that MONO EQUALS BED FOR MONTHS WORST EXCUSE EVER, doesn't mean it was a bad excuse to use because what you are saying isn't true.

I agree it doesn't mean bed for months. However, I'm no doctor, but I thought you weren't allowed to play sports with mono even if you felt fine, because of the risk of rupturing your spleen while it is enlarged.

Don't necessarily have an enlarged spleen, the spleenomegaly seen with Mono is from the acute infection of B cells causing them to traffic and proliferate within the spleen leading to an immune response and swelling. Less severe of an infection, just say thats what Tabb had, you might not have an enlarged spleen, or the mild enlargement would subside as quickly as the acute infection.

The perception is that mono keeps you out a long time. You tell lies to manage perception.

Then didn't it work Ph? The majority of the fanbase believed that he had mono and have expressed sympathy towards him as he "worked his way through illness" and gave him an excuse as to why his grades weren't good.

I remember people at the time questioning it, but others posted the stuff ThinkingDeac is posting about how for some people it doesn't take as long to recover. Tabb wasn't a factor and I think most didn't expect him to be so it wasn't a big deal enough to focus attention on. Maybe if we were winning, people would have thought about it more.

In short, it worked for a short time like all bad lies do.

Now we're sitting here on a thread talking about how he didn't really have mono and it adds to the skepticism of the next news we'll get about player illnesses.

Your point makes a lot of sense in the long run. Though, at the same time if we had won a decent amount, would we be talking about it now? I think that it's partly the fact that we're in the annual lull in Wake sports and we'll dissect everything that we can.

No doubt. All the more reason not to tell blatant lies. To me this is just another PR mistake this year that has made a bad season a little bit worse.

They very well could have thought he had mono, even if that didn't turn out to be the case. They could have seen that he had a mono-like syndrome, as well as some problems off the court and used mono as a way to protect the kid. And if tests later came back and proved it wasn't mono, no reason to come out and say that.

Ph's comment made me think about something for which I don't have an answer. When was the last time we had a good PR move related to athletics (not counting Coach Walter's sacrifice)?

Ph's comment made me think about something for which I don't have an answer. When was the last time we had a good PR move related to athletics (not counting Coach Walter's sacrifice)?

It's hard to have a "good PR move" when there are two sides to almost every single situation. As well as people that will rip them for every move that they make regardless. It isn't so much the lack of good moves as it is teams are performing poorly and people are just angry.

While I'm not sure what the "right" answer with Tabb's illness was, Ph's broader point is absolutely right - our PR this season sucked. Hard. We need to hire a freelance firm if this is the best we can do internally.

While I'm not sure what the "right" answer with Tabb's illness was, Ph's broader point is absolutely right - our PR this season sucked. Hard. We need to hire a freelance firm if this is the best we can do internally.

One rumor I heard was that the mid-season PR blitz by Wellman was at the suggestion of such a firm. But I could have just missed the sarcasm.

One rumor I heard was that the mid-season PR blitz by Wellman was at the suggestion of such a firm. But I could have just missed the sarcasm.

Oh God. If true, I'll add the following to my earlier post: "hire a freelance firm that understands overcompensating often comes across as desperation."

Yea, that was their true mistake: drastic overcompensation.

For the first half of the season, the fanbase actually clamored for something, anything, from Wellman.:mad:

And then he started speaking :couch:

And now Wellman is :foreveralone:

And Bz is :plos:

Mono or no mono...who gives???? Honestly, what are you all debating???

Newsflash - the season is over.

Mono or no mono...who gives???? Honestly, what are you all debating???

Newsflash - the season is over.

The potential hypocrisy of a university? The honesty of our athletic department? The degree to which we can trust future news from this potentially unreliable source?

Seems pretty important.

This board is FUCKING CRAZY....are you serious????

All of a sudden Wake athletics is the big f'ing sham that undertakes massive cover-ups????? Dude, how long have you been a Wake fan??? Have you actually walked the halls in the Miller center and talked to people???

This isn't Ohio State or UNLV in the 80's.

The potential hypocrisy of a university? The honesty of our athletic department? The degree to which we can trust future news from this potentially unreliable source?

Seems pretty important.

nony, EVERY school and pro team does things like this. This is non-story to anyone who isn't over the top.

Seems pretty important.

To a point, but it's a reminder that Wake Forest athletics isn't some beacon of light in a dark world. It's a business. Sometimes they lie to protect their interest.

Back