• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

Good call, greek and diesel. Cooley has been a head coach for awhile. Obviously Providence is better than Fairfield, but the opportunity for Battle to coach with him has probably been there.

I was just about to post this. Following a friend to a less prestigious position isn't always a good idea.

The more I see what he's trying to do, the more I think Ed is going to be really successful at PC- something I thought was impossible about a month ago.

Agree. How does a bad hire this week in Raleigh make a bad hire last year in Winston-Salem look any better?

Because we got turned down too by coaches higher in the queue than Bzd, but Wellman didn't hang his laundary out the office window and plead for the alumni to help him dry it. He kept everything nice and close to the vest. In fact, by not using a search service, he kept all the leaks out of the press as well, Yow, for all her mistakes last week, was hosed by whomever conducted her search for her. Either that or she is loose lips with her staff and they are loose lips with the press.

Wellman presented Bzd as the guy he wanted and there have been very few facts to indicate that this was not true.

Wellman is the go to guy on how to conduct a private search.

loose_lips_sink_ships.jpg

Matter of preference.

Do you want to know your AD struck out before they settled or do you want to assume your AD settled before striking out.

The consensus opinion matters little to Ron Wellman.

Jaybone, thanks for the props. I know you have to protect your e-cred, so I don't mind if you go to Premium and bash that post like they're doing.

haha. I don't think I have much e-cred. If anybody is scoring at home, I would guess I pawn just a little bit more than I get pawned with plenty of ties. You and I usually tie, though I had a little pawnage traction in January. Our post Virginia win swoon killed that though. I don't think my coroner dis ever got any traction. I thought it was a good one though ...

coroner!

Matter of preference.

Do you want to know your AD struck out before they settled or do you want to assume your AD settled before striking out.

No. to be blunt, in 90% of the cases, it works. Had we hired Brownell after getting turned down by Stevens, Tubby and Bzd, Wellman would probably have gotten away with the push that Brownell was his guy, but because Bzd was so far out of left field and in fact didn't really possess the numbers (post season success) that Wellman used to justify Dino's dismissal, he didn't get away with it.

Who knows though who Wellman offered ahead of Jim Grobe. We don't know and the belief that he was always our first and best choice is now etched in stone whether correct or incorrect

Well Grobe along with Rich Brooks.

Your strategy works unless the hire is out of left field like [Redacted] or Gottfried. In that situation, some fans want to have some idea of the process it took to get so far away from expectations. On the other hand, when Wellman pulled Skip, a guy most didn't consider because we didn't think we could get a strong mid-major coach, it was a great strategy because it showed Wellman aimed high and hit high.

I'm not advocating for the NC State model of conducting a coaching search, where all the cards are laid out on the table. State has rightly been heavily criticized for their last two searches. Their model is clearly 180 degrees from the Wellman approach.

At the end of the day Wellman still made a bad hire. He doesn't look any better simply because State made a bad hire too.

I'm not advocating for the NC State model of conducting a coaching search, where all the cards are laid out on the table. State has rightly been heavily criticized for their last two searches. Their model is clearly 180 degrees from the Wellman approach.

At the end of the day Wellman still made a bad hire. He doesn't look any better simply because State made a bad hire too.

I disagree it was a bad hire. I would much rather have Bzd than Brownell, Gregory or Donahue. I think in five years we'll be very pleased.

Gottfried is more likely to pull a Pearl than any recent hire and his ceiling is probably NCAA first weekend. I think Brownell is Jeff Jones revisited, consider me extremely limp dicked over that hire. Gregory and Donahue are nice solid white guys with good hair. Can they recruit? Donahue is the better coach but has the steeper learning curve on recruiting, and he's in freakin' Boston.

The consensus opinion matters little to Ron Wellman.

Jaybone, thanks for the props. I know you have to protect your e-cred, so I don't mind if you go to Premium and bash that post like they're doing.

Wait... Does this place have premium or is that the old premium?

This ain't good.

Maybe we can hire Odom as a consultant to our hoops program.

Oh yeah, please ban this bzz>skip douchebag (who is that anyway, isledeac?).

Last edited:
I agree it's a bad sign / not good, and the grooming Rusty guesstimation is interesting. But I think you are assigning Wellman ninja qualities he doesn't possess. I don't think he was 8 moves ahead of everyone in hiring Bzd. I think he honestly felt that his combination of great ethics, great Xs and Os coaching and NBA pedigree might lead him to be a homerun hire as opposed to the contact hitters available (brownell, for example, whom people love here but will likely be nothing more than Jeff Jones in South Carolina).

Wellman should be looking golden this week after the clustefuck in Raleigh. I don't think you can read much more into this than what Phdeac has surmised, which I begrudgingly acknowledge as pretty grounded: Battle has got to look out for himself. If there is another coaching change in two years then he's out too and may not land on his feet in the way he could right now.

It's not a good sign no matter how you cut it though. Not entirely surprising, but not good.

[Redacted]'s record regarding integrity and ethics is not great.

Dear Coach Battle,

Go to Providence.

Seriously. Interview for the job, accept the position, pick out a nice suit and start practicing to look surprised when the PA announces your name in November.

I mean, what’s there to lose?

Sure, some of the Wake fans will implore you to consider your legacy as a Deacon, to remember the history of the great Wake coaches before you who went on to successful careers. They’ll probably name drop the likes of Skip Prosser, Dave Odom, and Bones McKinney, all guys who won ACC tournament or regular season titles in their noteworthy careers. Don’t follow in the footsteps of Bob Staak, you’ll be warned; he made the wise decision to leave Wake after his fourth year, and use the move as a stepping stone to an illustrious career as a used car salesman. Don’t let those comparisons get you down, though, even if Staak did get the privilege of watching from the sidelines as his former colleagues celebrated an ACC championship.

Plus, sticking around and winning a fifth ACC title for the Demon Deacs is just selfish, even if you haven’t ever won one yourself. Think about it: the Joel is already full of ACC championship banners, and adding one of your own would ruin the symmetry in the rafters. Sure, you’ll give up your chance to be remembered as one of Wake's all-time greatest basketball coaches, but I bet if you asked Dave Odom, he would tell you that fans don’t remember collegiate legacies anyway. Well, at least until he tries to visit Butler, where his likeness is still routinely hailed as the man who resurrected their program.

And if you’re still not convinced, remember that if you go to Providence, you might not even have to coach next year! Who really wants to coach, anyway? Sure, you won’t get paid any of that major contract that you’d sign as a top assistant, but at least you won’t have to endure the grind of college basketball. Some of those same haters from before will probably call it a wasted season, as Europe will probably be the only place to coach in the interim, but that won’t affect your salary. As long as the assistant salary structure stays the same, that is.

That’s all there is to consider. Rest assured, you’ll never regret leaving [Redacted] after just one year, never wonder what might have been if you stuck around to play with Winston-Salem’s No. 2-ranked recruiting class, which by the way includes your longtime friend and teammate Chase Fischer. It’s really a no-brainer.

I look forward to your announcement, even if you ignore my advice and stay at Wake, er, I mean, go to Providence.

Sincerely,

OGB

You might want to give The Chronicle at Duke credit for this post!

http://dukechronicle.com/article/open-letter-kyrie-irving

Back