• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

Has Rusty ever been the lead recruiter for one of our players? I can't think of one.

I think people are overestimating Battle's fear of losing his job right now. Even if the whole staff were to be fired after next year (or the year after), there would be plenty of new head coaches assembling staffs he could join. And I don't think that such a thing will happen after next year. Even if the whole thing blows up in his face, he can take a year off and be fine and have a better pick of jobs while doing some scouting, etc. to pay the bills in the interim.

The consensus opinion matters little to Ron Wellman.

Jaybone, thanks for the props. I know you have to protect your e-cred, so I don't mind if you go to Premium and bash that post like they're doing.

Last edited:
The consensus opinion matters little to Ron Wellman.

True. Wellman does what's in the best interests of the program. He knows what's going on behind the curtain and shouldn't listen to a misinformed/underinformed public consensus at all.

True. Wellman does what he feels is in the best interests of the program. He knows what's going on behind the curtain and shouldn't listen to a misinformed/underinformed public consensus at all.

Fixed for what I believe.

Bzzz was clearly not in the best interest of the program.

Jeff Battle, an assistant men's basketball coach at Wake Forest, is considering an offer to join the staff at Providence and said Friday that he expects to make a decision over the weekend.

Ed Cooley, named the head coach at Providence on March 22, is a close friend whom Battle has known for more than 15 years.

“It’s a tough decision, it really is,’’ Battle said. “The reason it is is the guy at Providence is my best friend, so it’s a personal thing. “That’s what makes it difficult. If I didn’t know him as well as I do, it wouldn’t be as hard of a decision to make.’’

Battle said a decision to leave Wake Forest would not be a reflection of his relationship with [Redacted], who succeeded Gaudio before the 2010-11 season.

“Oh no, no, no, no,’’ Battle said. “No, that has nothing to do with it at all. I’m happy as heck at Wake Forest. That has nothing, nothing, nothing to do with it. “If that was the case I wouldn’t be as torn as I am. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. ([Redacted]) is great.’’

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/apr/08/deacs-battle-weighing-offer-coach-providence-ar-931315/

Battle is a classy guy.

I really expected to go on to DS Premium and see this rumor being dispelled. Not the case at all.

Cooley from Wikipedia:

Biographical details Born September 10, 1969 (1969-09-10) (age 41) Place of birth Providence, Rhode Island, USA Playing career 1990–1994 Stonehill Coaching career (HC unless noted) 1994–1995
1995–1996
1996–1997
1997–2006
2006–2011
2011–Present UMass–Dartmouth (asst.)
Stonehill (asst.)
Rhode Island (asst.)
Boston College (asst.)
Fairfield
Providence Head coaching record Overall 92-69 (.574) Accomplishments and honors Awards 2010 Ben Jobe National Coach of the Year
2011 MAAC Coach of the Year

I sure hope Disco Dan is right and that we can keep battle for next season and beyond. He will eventually leave but It would make me feel better if it was for a head coaching job.

Journal articles make clear that this is a complex situation. I hope Coach Battle continues to give his best to Wake but if he decides to join his close friend in Providence then "Good luck," and thanks for all you have done for us.

I agree it's a bad sign / not good, and the grooming Rusty guesstimation is interesting. But I think you are assigning Wellman ninja qualities he doesn't possess. I don't think he was 8 moves ahead of everyone in hiring Bzd. I think he honestly felt that his combination of great ethics, great Xs and Os coaching and NBA pedigree might lead him to be a homerun hire as opposed to the contact hitters available (brownell, for example, whom people love here but will likely be nothing more than Jeff Jones in South Carolina).

Wellman should be looking golden this week after the clustefuck in Raleigh. I don't think you can read much more into this than what Phdeac has surmised, which I begrudgingly acknowledge as pretty grounded: Battle has got to look out for himself. If there is another coaching change in two years then he's out too and may not land on his feet in the way he could right now.

It's not a good sign no matter how you cut it though. Not entirely surprising, but not good.

Not sure how Wellman is looking any better. State got publicly humiliated, yet they still got a coach who is better than who we hired with virtually no public search. They were talking on the radio here in Charlotte earlier this week about how Yow must have called Wellman for advice as the national expert on horrendous hires.

Not sure how Wellman is looking any better. State got publicly humiliated, yet they still got a coach who is better than who we hired with virtually no public search. They were talking on the radio here in Charlotte earlier this week about how Yow must have called Wellman for advice as the national expert on horrendous hires.

Agree. How does a bad hire this week in Raleigh make a bad hire last year in Winston-Salem look any better?

This reminds me of Leo Mazzone when he left the Braves to go be with his best friend in Baltimore. We're in some trouble if Battle leaves us.

If Battle leaves lets hire Dino to replace him! Dino's recruiting and Bz's x's and o's and we will be an unstoppable force!!!!

This reminds me of Leo Mazzone when he left the Braves to go be with his best friend in Baltimore. We're in some trouble if Battle leaves us.

I was just about to post this. Following a friend to a less prestigious position isn't always a good idea.

Back