• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Battle and Providence?

I don't think he'd go for an in-person interview if he wasn't seriously interested in the job. Doesn't mean he'll go, of course. But I imagine he's serious about the possibility.

Would be a real loss for Wake if he goes, as others have said. I hope he does not.

How would this affect Rountree, CMM and Washington? Who was the lead recruiter for them?
What a clusterfuck...

CMM was Battle as was Fischer and Green. Don't know about the others.

Give him a raise Wellman.
If you lose Battle my guess is you will lose your job within 18 months.

I think this will be the final straw for a lot of Buzzwaiters. There are serious issues with the coaching staff/team/program if our top assistant coach leaves to become an assistant at Providence.

Battle has an excellent reputaion. He can get a much better assistant job, if not a haed coaching position, than Providence at any time. His leaving for that job would be a very bad sign.

Battle has an excellent reputaion. He can get a much better assistant job, if not a haed coaching position, than Providence at any time. His leaving for that job would be a very bad sign.

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

That he even interviewed for it scares the crap out of me.

Taking an assistant job at Providence over his current job would be an indictment of Buzz.

I didn't think we could go any further down, but if this happens then we have. I thought part of the reason Ron settled for such a turd of a coach was so he could keep Rusty and Battle. Guess that wasn't a good idea, huh?

That Battle would even interview with Providence is a major indictment not only of Bzzz, but also Wellman. Wellman has been going on and on about Wake's culture change under Bzzz. Well, Battle is part of the Skip/Dino culture Wellman is so publicly seeking to change. He's the last man standing from the Skip regime. I don't know how close Battle is with Dino, but Wellman publicly backhanding the Skip/Dino regime the last few months probably irritated him a bit.

Battle leaving for a lesser job reminds me somewhat of Wojcik leaving for Boise State right before Dino was canned. That was a head-scratcher too, since most people at the time thought Dino would get at least one more year.

I've lost the little hope I had Wellman would fire Bzzz after this season, so I'd say his decision to interview for a "lesser" position may be an unintended consequence of Wellman's throwing our old culture out the window so publicly. That, and he doesn't believe there's a future for him under Bzzz either due to a personal conflict or because he doesn't see Bzzz getting it done professionally.

No mention of Wojcik doing the same thing only a year ago? Wojcik saw the handwriting on the wall and bounced before things went down. It was a good move. It may have even been a small part of why Kelsey left two years ago.

A note on the whole "lesser position" thing. There aren't many open positions for a top assistant, particularly if he wants to stay the #1 assistant. Aside from some crazy situation happening, his best chance would be to join a new head coach building his staff. That's what Wojcik did last season and what Battle may be doing now. Makes perfect sense and it explains why moving to Boise or Providence from Wake isn't a lesser position, simply a convenient position.

Battle is much more marketable as a head coach as the #1 assistant for a Big East squad rather than as part of a fired staff. He's got to look out for his career.

If Battle leaves us for Providence, then it's because he knows we are a sunk ship. That and/or personality differences with Bzzz.

Back