• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Va Tech: Greenburg fired, Clemson asst James Johnson hired

Saw this tweet and laughed:

Scott Newman ‏ @CoachNewman

Somebody had to take a chance on Shaka, Stevens, etc... Very worried that Jim Weaver is about to hire the second coming of Jeff [Redacted]

LMAO!

No way they (or maybe anyone) pries away Stevens or Shaka. I think those two stay put. Would take an obscene amount of $ to lure one away, maybe K type of money.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7853594/coaches-mid-major-programs-spurning-lucrative-opportunities-stay-put-men-college-basketball

Saw this tweet and laughed:

Scott Newman ‏ @CoachNewman

Somebody had to take a chance on Shaka, Stevens, etc... Very worried that Jim Weaver is about to hire the second coming of Jeff [Redacted]

What he's saying is that Butler and VCU took a chance on them. In the new paradigm, high majors are going to have to take more risks because proven mid-major coaches are just going to stay where they are.

Yep, merely stating that I don't see either one of those guys leaving their schools any time soon. I think the challenge for ADs in the power conferences is going to be for them to learn to find talented coaches like the mid majors and taking a shot with them. Very few programs outside of the Dukes, UNCs, Kentuckys can hand pick their coaches anymore. The position of the bottom half of the power conferences has been further diminished by the football expansion. Being a Wake or State in an 8 team ACC was a lot more special than in a 16 team ACC for instance. Now there are 15 other coaching slots and as we've seen in recent years only 2 of those are locked in stone. Just look at how hard it was for NC State to replace Herb. Both times, they went after coaches they got brushed aside by high profile coaches and had to go with 4th, 5th choices. We're most likely going to be in the same position next year, especially with how bad a state our program is after the [Redacted] era.

Our three most successful coaches weren't proven in any sense of the word. McKinney, as far as I can gather, did not coach prior to coming to Wake; Tacy had one season as head coach at Marshall when we hired him, and Odom was an assistant at Virginia when he took the Wake job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Wake has only hired two proven* head coaches, and one of them was Staak.

*by that I mean proven to be good.

crickets on the coaching search, eh? Whoever said Dino Gaudio might be a soothesayer. I just think Weaver is going to be perceived as one foot out the door and will have a hard time feeling the position as a result. Unless you just offer the house. I, for one, would love to see Gaudio at Tech for a number of reasons.

Our three most successful coaches weren't proven in any sense of the word. McKinney, as far as I can gather, did not coach prior to coming to Wake; Tacy had one season as head coach at Marshall when we hired him, and Odom was an assistant at Virginia when he took the Wake job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Wake has only hired two proven* head coaches, and one of them was Staak.

*by that I mean proven to be good.

Good points - but Odom was probably the most successful coach in ECU history before he moved on to Uva as an assistant.

Only name I've seen thus far is Jeff Capel and I don't see how that will get anyone excited for their program's future.

Good points - but Odom was probably the most successful coach in ECU history before he moved on to Uva as an assistant.

Tacy was head coach at Ferrum Jr. College for a few years.

Looks as though Lutz may be the front runner for the vacant VT job.

NC State associate head coach Bobby Lutz, who met with Virginia Tech officials Thursday afternoon in Greensboro, N.C. Two people close to Lutz said there is mutual interest between the two sides

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/11032880/

Looks as though Lutz may be the front runner for the vacant VT job.

NC State associate head coach Bobby Lutz, who met with Virginia Tech officials Thursday afternoon in Greensboro, N.C. Two people close to Lutz said there is mutual interest between the two sides

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/11032880/

LOL. Although, Lutz would be WAY better than Buzz. I served on a Board with Lutz for a few years and he is a GREAT guy.

Lutz would be a solid hire if they shell out for assistants.

Worth noting that Mark Turgeon's top assistant coached under Lutz at UNCC.

Remember when Bobby Lutz and State basketball used to be running jokes on these boards? The good old days.

Remember when Bobby Lutz and State basketball used to be running jokes on these boards? The good old days.

I was going to say that Bobby Lutz is hardly a marquee hire. Dude couldn't cut it as a coach at UNCC with solid recruiting classes in the A-10: why does anybody think he's the answer in the ACC?

Edit: Just looked it up. Dude went 83-66 in the A-10 finishing 2nd, 9th, 4th, 12th, and 5th... He's a good recruiter, but hardly marquee as a coach...

Last edited:
Back