• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is It Time To Let Moviegoers Text Freely During Films?

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Regal Entertainment CEO Amy Miles says that her chain currently discourages cell phone use “but if we had a movie that appealed to a younger demographic, we could test some of these concepts.” For example, she says the chain talked about being more flexible about cell phone use at some screens that showed 21 Jump Street. “You’re trying to figure out if there’s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son” might.
IMAX’s Greg Foster seemed to like the idea of relaxing the absolute ban on phone use in theaters. His 17-year-old son “constantly has his phone with him,” he says. “We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.”
http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/is-it-time-to-let-movie-goers-send-texts-during-a-film-cinemacon/

This is terrible idea, and I honestly think it'll have the opposite effect of what they're wanting. It won't increase the number of teenagers that go to the movies, but it could hurt the number of adults that go.

That set off Tim League, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse — a small chain that makes a point of throwing out customers who talk or text during a film. “Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater,” he says. “I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. … It’s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.” He says it should be “magical” to come to the cinema. But Miles shot back that “one person’s opinion of magical isn’t the other’s.” Execs had other pet peeves. For example, Foster decries ads for TV shows in movie theaters. “My tentacles go up,” he says. “How is this possible?” Blake says that moviemakers face “a real challenge” overseas where theaters often mix ads with trailers. The trailer “is the lifeblood of producers and the marketing department” — and one of the top three reasons why people go to the movies. “It’s so important to play those trailers properly, lights down at showtime.” League, whose chain serves meals, also said that there’s “kickback” among consumers on concession pricing — especially the core staples. “Those prices do seem high to me,” he says. “You can get a pint of beer for less than it costs to buy a large soda.”

Tim League is mah boi. Wish we could get some of his theaters here in NC.

Maybe they can start having "texting lounges" kind of like smoking lounges for people that are too pathetic to resist.

Yeah this is about the worst idea I've ever heard. Those two people advocating for cell phone use are just utterly incompetent, and completely miss the point of why people go to the movies.

"Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.”"

Fuck off. Enough coddling - the participation trophy generation needs to grow up.

Sometimes you get messages during the movie and you kind of have to respond. I try to hold my phone very low and shield the screen because it's bright. I just text back that I'm at the theater and will text back later.

Still, banning texting would not cause me to shed any tears. Some people just sit there and text during the entire movie. How the fuck are you even taking in what's going on in the movie? And how does it not occur to people that what they are doing is distracting to other patrons? It's like the new talking during movies, only more widespread because people are so oblivious to the distraction that they're causing. They simply think that they're not making any noise so it's ok.

With ticket prices as high as they are, I don't understand why anybody would want to pay to sit in a dark room and just text the whole time anyway. You can do that for free at home. And it won't be annoying other patrons who just paid $89 for two tickets and a small popcorn.

With ticket prices as high as they are, I don't understand why anybody would want to pay to sit in a dark room and just text the whole time anyway. You can do that for free at home. And it won't be annoying other patrons who just paid $89 for two tickets and a small popcorn.

My thought exactly.

What about checking IMDB to answer the question of "what else has he/she been in?"

no way in hell am i going to pay $10 to see a movie, only to have distracting tiny screens lit up all around me (and have that be totally OK)

IMAX’s Greg Foster seemed to like the idea of relaxing the absolute ban on phone use in theaters. His 17-year-old son “constantly has his phone with him,” he says. “We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they’ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.” Banning cell phone use may make them “feel a little handcuffed.”

this quote makes me cringe. God forbid you make your teenager turn off his cell phone so he can be entertained by a movie.

People who text during movies should be thrown into a pit with 1,000 angry 4-year olds, where they will spend their last few precious breaths taking in the scent of watermelon dum-dums from the disgusting mouths of those vile, bloodthirsty little scoundrels.

In a dark theatre, someone using an illuminated screen, regardless of size, is providing a visual distraction at least as annoying as people tallking. It's stunning to me that theatre execs are considering a move that would make them no money (has anyone actually thought "I'd like to go to the movie but I won't be able to text for 2 hours?") while alienating fans that love the movie-going experience.

Facepalm

Just... ugh... I'm speechless at how fucking retarded people are with their phones - its mostly kids, but its not limited to them by any means. It should be perfectly legal to blast any of the following people in the face:

1. People who use their phone in a movie theater
2. People who walk with their head buried in their phone
3. People who talk on the phone at the gym
4. People who keep checking their phone while you're trying to talk to them
5. People who take their phone out and put it on the table during dinner

6. People who leave the ringer on their phone sitting in the golf cart.

An usher totally called out some d-bag in a theater I was in a couple of weeks ago for talking on a cell phone. I couldn't hear the offender, so it wasn't bothering me, but it was pretty awesome to see the person told to STFU. Of course the usher was an older dude, so he wasn't taking any shit. I imagine your typical young usher ain't saying anything.

getsome said that when she saw Hunger Games at the Grand they had an announcement in the beginning that anyone with their cell phone out would be asked to leave.That almost made me want to pay the crazy prices of the Grand.

Back