• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Ryan: Rape is just a "method of conception"

It was fate that made someone rape a woman right?!? All in God's plan right?!? I believe in God but I also believe in evil and rape is as evil as it gets!!

Yeah. He's simply being logically consistent with the position that human life begins at conception.

Exactly. This isn't some game changer.

Dear God no - he is the Dem flip-flop equivalent of Mittens. Not to mention a smarmy sleazeball. Is 2016 when he gets out?

He's pretty much the worst person ever. The sig line goes back to my days as a die-hard Edwards' supporter from 04-08 and is very much intended to be making fun of myself.

To think that this guy could be a "heartbeat" away from being the fuckin' president is scary. Now he should have been a blowjob.

I have to agree, not a big deal that he said it. We knew his position. I think it is a bad position, but not a big deal soundbyte.

I don't think if I were a woman that I could ever have an abortion, but I am pro choice because I have no idea what it is like to be a woman, to carry a child, to be raped or a victim of incest. I have no idea, so I defer to the women who have been through it. I can't fathom any other way of thinking, can't wrap my head around it.

The Constitution offers protection to all people in the US from murder. We have come to an agreement based on science and compromise that life begins at viability. I am ok with that. I can't wrap my head around the government forcing a raped woman to carry the resulting cell division in her body to viability, or to term.

I have to agree, not a big deal that he said it. We knew his position. I think it is a bad position, but not a big deal soundbyte.

I don't think if I were a woman that I could ever have an abortion, but I am pro choice because I have no idea what it is like to be a woman, to carry a child, to be raped or a victim of incest. I have no idea, so I defer to the women who have been through it. I can't fathom any other way of thinking, can't wrap my head around it.

The Constitution offers protection to all people in the US from murder. We have come to an agreement based on science and compromise that life begins at viability. I am ok with that. I can't wrap my head around the government forcing a raped woman to carry the resulting cell division in her body to viability, or to term.

A well thought out position. One I would disagree with, but understandable. I really don't get why this interview would ever be a big deal. He answered the question perfectly. He said that Akin's comments were way over the line and insensitive and that he advised Akin to remove himself from the race. When asked what his personal view on abortion in the case of rape was he didn't mince words and said that he doesn't make exceptions, even in the case of rape. Could he have added something to illustrate that rape is an awful crime against another person? Possibly, but he didn't skirt the issue, and he wasn't insensitive, he just didn't intentionally case the answer to the question with a bunch of fluff.

His answer should be refreshing even if you disagree with him. He said exactly what he believes without any political speak. Akin got in trouble not because he is pro-life without exception. He got in trouble because he made up a female defense mechanism that is only enacted in the case of rape. Akin got in trouble because he is an idiot, not because he was pro-life.

I actually appreciate the direct answer. If you believe life starts at conception then it's 100% consistent with that belief. Plus he immediately notes that the Romney version where there is some gray area is a huge improvement and something he'll support.

This is how it's supposed to work. Someone with an extremist view compromises to a more accepted view because the majority of their constituents support it. Apparently that is applauded in-party, but move the idea into a conversation with a Democrat (even if it's supporting a Republican theme such as reducing spending) and the rhetoric is completely different.

Ryan playing fast and loose with facts in his RNC speech was far worse than this.

His answer demonstrated a complete lack of sympathy for the victims of rape. Ryan is the same guy that draws a distinction, like Akin, between "forcible" rape and non-forcible rape.

His answer demonstrated a complete lack of sympathy for the victims of rape. Ryan is the same guy that draws a distinction, like Akin, between "forcible" rape and non-forcible rape.

Where in that quote did he discuss this distinction? How is he showing a lack of sympathy? One could make that argument that he is showing ultimate sympathy by not sacrificing the life of a child for the sins of another human. You are projecting your pro-choice stance on him. I think anyone pro-life would say he is showing ultimate sympathy for the child, but saving its life.

I actually appreciate the direct answer. If you believe life starts at conception then it's 100% consistent with that belief. Plus he immediately notes that the Romney version where there is some gray area is a huge improvement and something he'll support.

This is how it's supposed to work. Someone with an extremist view compromises to a more accepted view because the majority of their constituents support it. Apparently that is applauded in-party, but move the idea into a conversation with a Democrat (even if it's supporting a Republican theme such as reducing spending) and the rhetoric is completely different.

Ryan playing fast and loose with facts in his RNC speech was far worse than this.

+1. Exactly. He is willing to state his conviction, and then compromise because it does improve the situation in his mind, even if he doesn't get everything we want. A perfect example of why I like Ryan.

Where in that quote did he discuss this distinction? How is he showing a lack of sympathy? One could make that argument that he is showing ultimate sympathy by not sacrificing the life of a child for the sins of another human. You are projecting your pro-choice stance on him. I think anyone pro-life would say he is showing ultimate sympathy for the child, but saving its life.

He didn't in that interview, but he does believe in a distinction. He didn't even address what sort of burdens raising a child that is the product of rape could impose and the psychological issues that could result.

Also, he lacks a uterus, so he should pretty much STFU on this topic. My view on abortion is that it is basically up to the woman. It is her body and I can't control what someone does with their body.

+1. Exactly. He is willing to state his conviction, and then compromise because it does improve the situation in his mind, even if he doesn't get everything we want. A perfect example of why I like Ryan.

He's willing to compromise with a fellow Pub for personal gain. Doesn't mean he'll do that with a Dem for the good of the country.

This just in:

Surprise buttsecks is just a "method of wiping your ass"

rxei1kszd2.jpg

Last edited:
He's willing to compromise with a fellow Pub for personal gain. Doesn't mean he'll do that with a Dem for the good of the country.

He abandoned the conviction publicly when to do so meant he could attain higher office. And then he went back on even that in smaller forums.

He didn't in that interview, but he does believe in a distinction. He didn't even address what sort of burdens raising a child that is the product of rape could impose and the psychological issues that could result.

Also, he lacks a uterus, so he should pretty much STFU on this topic. My view on abortion is that it is basically up to the woman. It is her body and I can't control what someone does with their body.

And that is your opinion. You are welcome to have it. 50% of the country would disagree with you.

He abandoned the conviction publicly when to do so meant he could attain higher office. And then he went back on even that in smaller forums.

And this is what compromise has become...abandoning convictions. This is the exact problem with our political system. No one can compromise anymore, because they are attacked for abandoning convictions. I think it is pretty clear what his convictions are. I also think it is pretty clear that he is being practical. Not really fair to say he is abandoning his convictions when he states them very clearly, then states that his running mate is a little more liberal on the issue, and says that he is willing to compromise because Romney's opinion (while different) is still a lot better than we currently have in place.

Absolutely. He should always preface such remarks with something like "I can only imagine what it's like to be a rape victim, but...." And yes, he was 1 of the people trying to get the word "forcible" into that bill this past Spring.

And glad to see you no longer support Edwards. Thanks for the explanation. If you want more reason to hate Edwards, go back and look at his voting record in the Senate and compare it with what he ran on for Prez. He made Mittens look consistent.

Exactly. Like McCain before him, the RNC speech makes him look like just another sell-out to whatever the party commands him to be. Just like McCain's moderate views disappeared, so did Ryan's "straight-forward honesty" with party-lines like "Obama's gutting medicaid" and "Obama rejected Simpson Bowles" just as he himself did.

I guess at some point you have to agree to be at the ass-end of the human centipede if you eventually want to be at the front.

And that is your opinion. You are welcome to have it. 50% of the country would disagree with you.

Perhaps I read into his interview, because to me, it sounded like this: "welp, too damn bad if you're raped b/c you're having that baby. whether you want it or not."

And this is what compromise has become...abandoning convictions. This is the exact problem with our political system. No one can compromise anymore, because they are attacked for abandoning convictions. I think it is pretty clear what his convictions are. I also think it is pretty clear that he is being practical. Not really fair to say he is abandoning his convictions when he states them very clearly, then states that his running mate is a little more liberal on the issue, and says that he is willing to compromise because Romney's opinion (while different) is still a lot better than we currently have in place.

Where was the compromise, exactly? Ryan said he supported the Romney position after the Akin debacle, then continued to espouse his real conviction in smaller circuits to safer audiences. Sounds to me that the "compromise" was a political ploy of the moment to run from an unpopular conviction in the face of massive public anger.

Back