• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's Taxes Held Ransom??

Yep how did the poor black kid ever get in?

You are demanding something few candidates have ever done. McCain didn't show his USNA transcripts.

However you don't hold Romney to the same standards EVERY candidate for POTUS for decades has done. Something the candidate's own father had done.

I don't think the point about Obama's grades has anything to do with law school. You can't even make law review unless you have good grades in law school. That's the whole point of law review. No one, at least no one sane, is asking to see his law school transcripts to determine if he's smart or did well in school.

I think the point about his transcripts and school records is to determine the basis upon which he attended Colombia (and to a lesser degree Occidental). Did he make some sort of claim that flies in the face of the narrative he's provided to the American people about his background, etc. That's the real angle of those making the demand he release transcripts. Did he proclaim himself a foreign student for instance? Whether he did poorly at undergrad is pretty irrelevant. He still went to an Ivy League school and he still got into and did well at Harvard Law.

I think I want to see your transcripts.

I wonder if the Romneys brought a bunch of money back into the country as part of an overseas voluntary disclosure program at some point? It's got to be something worse than just paying a low rate. He could spin that as just taking advantage of the deductions available, and that he still pays millions and millions in absolute dollars, etc.

If he filed under the voluntary disclosure program for foreign investments, and paid taxes and penalties in arrears on that income, than his goose is cooked. That means he wasn't disclosing overseas investments. That would make what Geithner did look like child's play.

Last edited:
I don't think the point about Obama's grades has anything to do with law school. You can't even make law review unless you have good grades in law school. That's the whole point of law review. No one, at least no one sane, is asking to see his law school transcripts to determine if he's smart or did well in school.

I think the point about his transcripts and school records is to determine the basis upon which he attended Colombia (and to a lesser degree Occidental). Did he make some sort of claim that flies in the face of the narrative he's provided to the American people about his background, etc. That's the real angle of those making the demand he release transcripts. Did he proclaim himself a foreign student for instance? Whether he did poorly at undergrad is pretty irrelevant. He still went to an Ivy League school and he still got into and did well at Harvard Law.

That's some serious straw grasping.

I think the point about his transcripts and school records is that we have nothing else to talk about, and irrationally hate the President so much that we bring up inconsequential shit like this, and the teleprompter thing, and his birth certificate (or lack thereof), and the fact that he plays golf, and "bows" to dignitaries, and that Michelle is trying to dictate what Americans eat, and whatever other unimportant things we like to bring up to continue our drumbeat that we hate Obama and want anyone else to be President. Oh, and we act sanctimonious when we do it, too. And no, we really don't realize that we appear stupid when we do this.

FIFY

Apparently there may be something to this. The Secret Service and FBI are now investigating.

Last edited:
Apparently there may be something to this. The Secret Service and FBI are now investigating.

They have to by law. Blackmailing a presidential candidate is a national security issue.

I agree that this is a huge losing issue for Romney. He could not have handled this tax ordeal worse.

Amen. He's pledged to release his 2011 taxes sometime in October, a big smelly turd right in the middle of the debates. If he's still close in the polls, the discussion of where everything is pre-2010 will rear its head again. If Mitt's far behind and he refuses to release 2011, it'll be essentially a surrender. Looks like Romney had something blow up on him taxwise between 2007-2009 (paid a fine to clean up issues in Switzerland, shorted the housing market, bet against US banks), so he shouldn't have run.

The tax issue isn't explicitely what's done him in, but that, flip flopping, an awkward persona, building a ridiculously huge house during the campaign, and bizarre stories about a dog on the roof, bullying and fake cop uniforms have ruined his image. If he had charisma and centrist social policies, he might have been able to weather the storm (look at Bubba last night), but Mitt just doesn't have it.

The 2011 returns are pretty much meaningless. He's running on his Bain days.

That's some serious straw grasping.

I don't think it is. I do believe Obama was born in the US, but a few months ago there was a story about how the original publication materials for his book touted him as being foreign born. I think he may have been saying he was foreign born when it was helpful to his narrative (book sales, admission to colleges) before he ever realized he could become President. I mean, we all don't make the greatest decisions at 18,19 years old. I'm sure he is a smart enough guy to be at Occidental, Columbia, and Harvard on his own merit. But it seems weird to me that he took so long to release his birth certificate. Maybe he was courting that argument to deflect from the fact that he had lied about where he was born in the past. Who knows.

As for Romney, I just don't understand him. We all know you are rich, just release them. Also, you've known you were going to run for President for like 8 years. Surely you thought this would come up before???

Last edited:
As for Romney, I just don't understand him. We all know you are rich, just release them. Also, you've known you were going to run for President for like 8 years. Surely you thought this would come up before???

A LOT of reporting rules with regards to foreign holdings of US citizens changed between 2008 and 2012. It's very, very probable that while Romney did nothing explicitly illegal ... his tax returns in that period could be a political poison pill for that reason.

The entire Romney Campaign is gradually turning into a circus.

In your own mind. The real circus is on television tonight. I'm sure booing God is going to play well even in the battleground states.

So funny that when Romney doesn't want to release his taxes he his hiding something nefarious but when Obama didn't want to release his birth certificate it was just him not bowing to racists.

A LOT of reporting rules with regards to foreign holdings of US citizens changed between 2008 and 2012. It's very, very probable that while Romney did nothing explicitly illegal ... his tax returns in that period could be a political poison pill for that reason.

Brilliant move by Obama's IRS to lure Mittens into the trap, IMO.

Oh, and no surprise, I heard the FBI is now on the case. That's what you get for blackmailing a candidate for President.

So funny that when Romney doesn't want to release his taxes he his hiding something nefarious but when Obama didn't want to release his birth certificate it was just him not bowing to racists.

Because we knew what was in the birth certificate.

We don't know what's in the tax returns.

Out of curiosity, are there still Republican posters on this board who do not believe that what is hidden in Romney's tax returns would absolutely destroy him politically if the public saw them?

Me. I don't tend to cover my head in tin foil. You think the guy has never been audited? Seriously? Probably every year since he started running for President.

Back