• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

Hammond has no depth outside of his amazing impression skills. how many non-impression skits did he do? Carvey had tremendous range, including iconic characters outside of his impressions.

I go:

Eddie Murphy
Phil Hartman
Gilda Radner? idk I haven't seen enough of hers.
Dana Carvey
Will Ferrell

I don't disagree with you on Hammond, but he was really good at what he did for a long, long time.

I mean if you've never seen D2: The Mighty Ducks I don't see how there can be anything else you do tonight.
I was mostly kidding. I've seen D2, of course, but didn't remember him being in it.

Hammond MIGHT be top 20...gtfo with this top 5 stuff.

Gilda Rander's place in the SNL annals is tough for me; she was pretty groundbreaking in a lot of ways, but I when it comes to overall influence of women on SNL, I think Tiny Fey, and maybe even Amy Poehler did more for the show.

Such a tough list to construct.

I think Hartman & Ferrell probably belong in most any SNL "Top 5"... After that, it really depends on the specific criteria you're using to construct the list.

For example: Eddie Murphy was really good, but not on the show all that long, and the rest of that cast was TERRIBLE. But he was "must watch" for a couple of years.

in terms of writing, yes, for Fey. but she was pretty much just on Weekend Update during her tenure. I'll bet she's appeared in many more sketches during hosting gigs than she did during all her years on the show combined.

I don't disagree with you on Hammond, but he was really good at what he did for a long, long time.

Word. Hammond is top 5 for me. That was an "All he does is catch touchdowns" type take.

Such a tough list to construct.

I think Hartman & Ferrell probably belong in most any SNL "Top 5"... After that, it really depends on the specific criteria you're using to construct the list.

For example: Eddie Murphy was really good, but not on the show all that long, and the rest of that cast was TERRIBLE. But he was "must watch" for a couple of years.

Without Eddie Murphy, SNL would have ended in 1981.

Hammond MIGHT be top 20...gtfo with this top 5 stuff.

Gilda Rander's place in the SNL annals is tough for me; she was pretty groundbreaking in a lot of ways, but I when it comes to overall influence of women on SNL, I think Tiny Fey, and maybe even Amy Poehler did more for the show.

Gilda Radner was really funny. I think that she proved that women could hold their own with men in that kind of show. I don't know if she was a Top 5 performer but she is definitely one of the greats.

Not a fan of Piscopo.

That was mostly sarcasm. I mean, that is how bad the show was then. They fired everyone but those two guys.

Shit, they even had Eddie Murphy host the show once while he was still a part of the cast in 1982.

it's a sketch comedy show, he should appear in more than one type of sketch

LOL. "He should run quick slants on 3rd and short instead of just catching touchdowns."

LOL. "He should run quick slants on 3rd and short instead of just catching touchdowns."

he's arguably the best impressionist they've ever had but not one of the best overall cast members. come on, SNL is also about memorable characters and he has exactly 0. guys like Carvey, Hartman, Murphy, etc. all have those both in droves.

most lists give a ton of weight to the older casts. Rolling Stone's nostalgia jerking machine says :

(6. Bill Murray)
5. Dan Akroyd
4. Mike Myers
3. Tina Fey
2. Eddie Murphy
1. John Belushi

i mean, come on. Tina Fey? are we including writers-room contributions in this or just actual acting

Last edited:
Back