• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

McKinnon is definitely top tier and one of the most talented and versatile cast members they've ever had. waaaay better than Kristen Wiig.

Farley is another guy who had peak moments higher than most everyone else, but I struggle to put him in my Top 5 due to being somewhat of a one-trick pony with a limited run.

But holy shit was he funny. Top 10 for sure.

most lists give a ton of weight to the older casts. Rolling Stone's nostalgia jerking machine says :

(6. Bill Murray)
5. Dan Akroyd
4. Mike Myers
3. Tinay Fey
2. Eddie Murphy
1. John Belushi

i mean, come on. Tina Fey? are we including writers-room contributions in this or just actual acting

there's a lot of revisionist history with Tina Fey which comes from her success with 30 Rock and other projects. 30 Rock is amazing and one of my favorite shows ever, but I never thought of her as a standout SNL performer. she was a good writer, but barely got screen time other than Update.

I can't narrow down to 5, but I can do 8.

Will Ferrell
Phil Hartman
Eddie Murphy
Billy Crystal
Robert Downey Jr
Daymon Wayans
Joan Cusack
Randy Quaid

there's a lot of revisionist history with Tina Fey which comes from her success with 30 Rock and other projects. 30 Rock is amazing and one of my favorite shows ever, but I never thought of her as a standout SNL performer. she was a good writer, but barely got screen time other than Update.

I’m not a huge fan of Fey, but pointing at “just Update” doesn’t seem to me to be a good criticism as its on average 26-30% of each episode and the longest running segment of the show. That’s a big role to fill.

I’m not a huge fan of Fey, but pointing at “just Update” doesn’t seem to me to be a good criticism as its on average 26-30% of each episode and the longest running segment of the show. That’s a big role to fill.

so Colin Quinn is in your upper echelon?

that's more about writing than anything else, plus it ignores the fact that it's a bit that relies heavily on the partner, and she had Fallon, Poehler and Seth Myers.

Did I advocate for Fey? Just pointing out that Update is a BFD. Norm is my Update guy anyway.

This. And I LOVE Tina Fey.

I can't narrow down to 5, but I can do 8.

Will Ferrell
Phil Hartman
Eddie Murphy
Billy Crystal
Robert Downey Jr
Daymon Wayans
Joan Cusack
Randy Quaid

Is this a joke?

Ferrell, Hartman, Murphy and Crystal were great on SNL. But Downey, Wayans, Cusack and Quaid were not. In fact, the season that they were on is one of the worst ever.

There are plenty of people who weren't great on SNL but were great elsewhere like Wayans, RDJ, Quaid, Chris Rock, and several others. I'd put Fallon on this list, too. I didn't really like him on SNL, but he's obviously doing well as a late night host.

There are plenty of people who weren't great on SNL but were great elsewhere like Wayans, RDJ, Quaid, Chris Rock, and several others. I'd put Fallon on this list, too. I didn't really like him on SNL, but he's obviously doing well as a late night host.

Julia Louis Dreyfus too

i mean, this is considered one of Belushi's better bits:

That's good stuff. It doesn't really showcase Belushi's manic humor, but still clever. A lot of the early SNL is a matter of 'you had to be there' to get it. Those of us who stumbled upon it on late night TV in the mid to late '70s had never seen anything like it. It was a revelation! and we thought it was freaking hilarious. I have gone back and watched the early episodes and some of it doesn't age very well. But it was genius at the time. Bass-a-matic, the Bees, Belushi's Samurai Deli, Samurai Tailor, etc.... the episode where a nuclear satellite crashed into Nova Scotia and created huge radioactive lobsters - land shark!

No Chevy Chase, no Bill Murray?

Tina Fey is probably the #2 lady ever on SNL , but Gilda was the best lady ever on the show.

Last edited:
Back