• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

jhmd, do you seriously believe that these were just "easy classes"? Not admitting that these classes and the way they were carried out goes beyond just "easy" seems like a pretty fundamental barrier to cross before offering any feedback on the way forward.

If UNC created sham classes to keep athletes eligible for as long as reported then unc should get the death penalty. It will never happen; it would be horrible for Wake, the acc and North Carolina. It is so bad that it isn't even lack of institutional control. It institutionalized deprivation of education for the athletes. So the current students don't get punished, they should be allowed to transfer schools if they want to continue playing sports.

If UNC created sham classes to keep athletes eligible for as long as reported then unc should get the death penalty. It will never happen; it would be horrible for Wake, the acc and North Carolina. It is so bad that it isn't even lack of institutional control. It institutionalized deprivation of education for the athletes. So the current students don't get punished, they should be allowed to transfer schools if they want to continue playing sports.

Enough said.

I understand being biased concerning your alma mater (I know I am towards Wake), but I can't stand people who don't realize their bias, and honestly think what they are saying is on the level. Jhmd is an idiot.

How would removing a banner harm current student athletes that had nothing to do with this, jhmd? You are obviously arguing for no punishment from the NCAA, but given your self righteous rant about the innocence of current student athletes, removing banners seems like the correct punishment to you.

Some form of compromise is probably in order. I wrote (but you didn't read) that UNC SHOULD face sanction from the Accrediting bodies, since the academic donks let a sham department teaching sham classes exist for 18 years and nobody inside the INSTITUTION could CONTROL their instincts not to hold this department accountable. It is sad and predictable, and worthy of sanction.

As to athletics, I do believe that you shouldn't punish the innocent. Numbers is as ready to throw current innocent s-a's under the bus is this thread as he is ready to throw a trashcan through the plate glass window of innocent small business owners's establishments in the Ferguson thread. We get it. Guilt is not a prerequisite to punishment. Blind hammers for everyone!

If a banner has to come down, nature abhors a vacuum. Somehow the NCAA's 2005 season must be memorialized. Can we agree upon this in its place?

sdid6o.jpg

As to athletics, I do believe that you shouldn't punish the innocent. Numbers is as ready to throw current innocent s-a's under the bus is this thread as he is ready to throw a trashcan through the plate glass window of innocent small business owners's establishments in the Ferguson thread. We get it. Guilt is not a prerequisite to punishment. Blind hammers for everyone!

I actually said the exact opposite of this, but we know reading is not your strong suit because...you know....sham classes and whatnot. Someone already proposed a viable alternative: allow student athletes to transfer without penalty. That's what happened with Penn State. Easy solution that punishes the guilty (the university) while sparing the innocents (student-athletes). I won't get into your inconsistencies on caring about the innocents in the context of NCAA sports and your beloved UNC while not giving two shits about innocents in any other conversation we've ever had, but I think it's worth pointing out at least.

It was only a matter of time before the nuggets of goodness left by Wainstein in his supplement of emails would be picked up and followed...straight to the philosophy department and the ever-so-ethical Jan Boxill: http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/11/more-evidence-emerges-on-jan-boxill

Emails show Boxill, a philosophy professor, offered 160 independent study courses between spring 2004 and spring 2012, according to records obtained by The Daily Tar Heel.
<snip>
Almost all of Boxill’s emails that were released were either her talking about, or to, students. “I will do whatever I can to help you obtain your degree,” she said in one email.

In another: “Just talked with Betsy Taylor in Steele Bldg, and she said she is making you a candidate for May, and that we are correct-all you need to do to is to PHIL with an A-!! And THAT will be done!!! This so great.”

One student emailed Boxill, asking why she hadn’t heard from Boxill about the independent study course in a few weeks. Another student was looking for a way to get six hours to keep his or her Pell Grant, and Boxill suggested six hours of a philosophy or African and Afro-American independent study.

Another student asked for an extension on a paper, and Boxill replied: “I have to say this is getting ridiculous! You have had the entire term to do *VERY MINIMAL* work.”

I'd like to see the list of the guilty he wants to punish. Maybe we aren't that far off. If the list does not include several coaches it's bull shit. Further UNC has already punished the innocent. Mary Willingham and Mc Cants for two.

Some form of compromise is probably in order. I wrote (but you didn't read) that UNC SHOULD face sanction from the Accrediting bodies, since the academic donks let a sham department teaching sham classes exist for 18 years and nobody inside the INSTITUTION could CONTROL their instincts not to hold this department accountable. It is sad and predictable, and worthy of sanction.

If a banner has to come down, nature abhors a vacuum. Somehow the NCAA's 2005 season must be memorialized. Can we agree upon this in its place?

sdid6o.jpg

this post should be a bannable offense

I actually said the exact opposite of this, but we know reading is not your strong suit because...you know....sham classes and whatnot. Someone already proposed a viable alternative: allow student athletes to transfer without penalty. That's what happened with Penn State. Easy solution that punishes the guilty (the university) while sparing the innocents (student-athletes). I won't get into your inconsistencies on caring about the innocents in the context of NCAA sports and your beloved UNC while not giving two shits about innocents in any other conversation we've ever had, but I think it's worth pointing out at least.

But will you riot if UNC is spared the death penalty?

Actually I do not like the idea of punishing the athletes who were taking the course suggested or even prescribed for them by their superiors...even if they should have recognized that it was illegitimate. Do not take down any banners or rescind championships because they were won in actual competition. Instead, severely reprimand the adults involved. Suspend them or fire them. Also, restrict the number of scholarships that UNC can offer for a period of 5 years and perhaps raise the minimum academic qualifications of the scholarships they are permitted to offer during that period.

The program should be punished in terms of its immediate future.

But will you riot if UNC is spared the death penalty?

It's all about proportionality. On the one hand there is a systemic racial bias which has gone unaddressed for over a century and in the other there are sports. I can't imagine I would be engaged in any public protesting about NCAA decision making.

Actually I do not like the idea of punishing the athletes who were taking the course suggested or even prescribed for them by their superiors...even if they should have recognized that it was illegitimate. Do not take down any banners or rescind championships because they were won in actual competition. Instead, severely reprimand the adults involved. Suspend them or fire them. Also, restrict the number of scholarships that UNC can offer for a period of 5 years and perhaps raise the minimum academic qualifications of the scholarships they are permitted to offer during that period.

The program should be punished in terms of its immediate future.

Check out the big brain on Brett... The Metric System.

Back