• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I take government handouts

Just discharge them in bankruptcy, amirite? :couch:

GSLs are non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. Have been since 1998. Used to be they were dischargeable after 7 years. But with people borrowing more $$ over longer periods of time because of the increased costs of higher ed, Congress just made a blanket rule that they're never dischargeable in some higher ed act of 1998 (not part of bk reform). You can still make them dischargeable if you can prove undue hardship, but that is a terribly high standard to meet - you're prolly better off trying to get them administratively discharged if it's a USDOE loan.

Nobody is talking about prohibitively high tax rates. The only increases that are currently on the table is to put tax rates back where they weer during the Clinton Administration. Those rates certainly didn't stop economic growth.

So long as whatever rates you're proposing will cover a $1 - $2 TRILLION deficit, then we're good.

Who decides what is "legitimate"?

Well, times being what they are, I'll take the job. :eek:

If you don't like that try:

1. God's anointed.

2. Whoever has the most guns and is best organized.

3. The will of the majority.

4. The consensus of our society.

5. 2/3 majority.

6. Some combination of the above.

If you think about it, I may not be such a bad choice. After all, I'm a Deac with fond memories of Avalon, NJ.

So long as whatever rates you're proposing will cover a $1 - $2 TRILLION deficit, then we're good.

No one factor will cover that amount. there will have to be some cuts too. There will have to be a large amount of investment in infrastructure.

It's not one thing like the GOP wants to make it.

The one thing you can't do is cut taxes (especially on the top level). That will explode the deficit. No one who is honest and has a brain can say cutting taxes will help cut the deficits.

No, you want to get taxed like a Republican. It is a glorious thing to pay less than 13% in taxes while some poor slops renting down the street are paying 20%.

I see a lot of paycheck stubs in my line of work. The folks who pay the highest % are single folks with no kids and no mortgage. Making in the $30K-70K range, they're usually paying 20-25% in FICA, federal and state taxes. If you have kids, mortgage and everything, it might be as small as 11-15%. Average I see is about 18%. The %s are based upon what is coming out of stubs and before adding back in tax refunds, so you can take some off those numbers if you want to factor that back in.

I see a lot of paycheck stubs in my line of work. The folks who pay the highest % are single folks with no kids and no mortgage. Making in the $30K-70K range, they're usually paying 20-25% in FICA, federal and state taxes. If you have kids, mortgage and everything, it might be as small as 11-15%. Average I see is about 18%. The %s are based upon what is coming out of stubs and before adding back in tax refunds, so you can take some off those numbers if you want to factor that back in.

oh haiiii

but i'm still a moooooooch because i get about $200 back for student loan interest!

and i'm a homeowner. but no mortgage, so no writeoffs there.

thanks, but it's a 500 sq ft condo so i doubt most people would. it's perfect for what im looking for, though, and no more than i need.

No one factor will cover that amount. there will have to be some cuts too. There will have to be a large amount of investment in infrastructure.

It's not one thing like the GOP wants to make it.

The one thing you can't do is cut taxes (especially on the top level). That will explode the deficit. No one who is honest and has a brain can say cutting taxes will help cut the deficits.

Run the debt up to $40-50 trillion, then find 40-50,000 multibillionaires ready to be fucked over. Ask them to bend over and pay their fair share.

LOL @ the idea that a tax deduction is a government handout. I guess that's the problem. Too many people think of taxes as the government's money rather than the taxpayer's money.

Back