• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Debate expectations

Romney has to win, I don't understand why Obama isn't going balls to the wall to beat him. Romney would be finished if Obama performs at his A game.

Obama is up big. He's in the four corners. He's kneeling on the ball. No need to risk turnovers.

Obama is up big. He's in the four corners. He's kneeling on the ball. No need to risk turnovers.

A dominating Romney performance on Wednesday night makes a big comeback possible. Obama's gotta keep out of the prevent defense...just saying. There's "Too much time" as Larry Munson used to say...

Neither person is going to dominate the other.

The worst thing Romney could do is try to use multiple canned zingers. He can't deliver them. Each time he's tried to use humor he has failed miserably.

Reagan was great at making canned lines look like ad libs. Obama is decent but understands not to do it too often.

A dominating Romney performance on Wednesday night makes a big comeback possible. Obama's gotta keep out of the prevent defense...just saying. There's "Too much time" as Larry Munson used to say...

There's a reason teams keep using the Prevent Defense. Because it actually works the vast majority of the time

It's going to be easy for Romney to come out of the debate looking good. After recent events expectations are low- a lot of people even think he's going to come across as a clown. I think he'll do fine.

Neither person is going to dominate the other.

The worst thing Romney could do is try to use multiple canned zingers. He can't deliver them. Each time he's tried to use humor he has failed miserably.

Reagan was great at making canned lines look like ad libs. Obama is decent but understands not to do it too often.
Very good insight. Mitt trying to crack a joke always comes across as....awkward.

Very good insight. Mitt trying to crack a joke always comes across as....awkward.

I was vaguely paying attention to MSNBC this morning and two things stood out in the headlines. They said that Mitt was practicing his one-liners and Obama was practicing keeping his answers short. I agree that Mitt comes off awkward, but he's got to throw some haymakers and register some good soundbites.

That's why these debates are almost meaningless. Neither party wants to go for a kill shot in fear of making a mistake, so it will just be the same canned rehashed statements we have always heard. Nobody is going to zinger either one and the entertainment factor will not exist even though everyone wants it to.

Romney has to be a junk yard dawg in this debate. Relentless 40 mins of hell pressure (continuing the sports metaphor)

Romney has to be a junk yard dawg in this debate. Relentless 40 mins of hell pressure (continuing the sports metaphor)

And Obama will just go with the rope a dope knowing that the more Romney talks, the more likely he screws up. Obama wants Romney to do 2/3 of the talking.

What happens when he is counter punched? There are numerous positions he might attack Obama for that he once took himself.

He can't attack Obama on Obamacare. It was Romneycare first.

He can't attack on abortion. Romney was pro-choice in 1994 and 2002.

He can't attack on apologizing for foreign policy. Romney apologized to the Brits within twenty-four hours of landing in London.

He can't attack on Obama raising taxes as he hasn't done so.

He can't attack on the deficit. Obama offered a $4T debt package that the GOP refused and Romney's plan add trillions to the debt.

If he's a "junkyard dog", Romney lose early on cuts.

If Romney uses the time excuse to get out of explaining what loopholes and deductions he'll cut, I hope Obama secedes his time to let Romney finish.

I was vaguely paying attention to MSNBC this morning and two things stood out in the headlines. They said that Mitt was practicing his one-liners and Obama was practicing keeping his answers short. I agree that Mitt comes off awkward, but he's got to throw some haymakers and register some good soundbites.

David Rees ‏@letsgetshort
"We're hoping Obama mispronounces AFGHANISTAN because we have an amazing zinger for that situation" says Romney aid working on zingers

David Rees ‏@letsgetshort
2nd Romney zinger PREVIEW: "That's easy for you to say, Mr. President, I suppose!" (Romney aid: this zinger will "shatter POTUS for life")

oh shit. i may have to watch after all. mitt trying to be funny will be unintentional comedy gold

I don't think there is anythig that Mitt can do in this debate to win the race. I also don't think Obama will do anything bad enough to lose it. It's Obama's race to lose. He can lose it but Mitt can't win it.

Drove from Atlanta to Nashville this weekend and back. Did not see one Romney bumper sticker. Have not seen one Romney sign in a yard anywhere in the Atlanta area, although I'm sure some exist. The lack of excitement about both of these candidates is amazing, but really unprecedented for a challenger to an incumbent. It's like watching the Bills yesterday. I never really doubted that they would screw it up and lose, and they did. Same way I feel about Romney.

From Wiki- It looks like Romney could have a full hour debate on Libya all by himself:

"Concerning the involvement of the American military in the 2011 Libyan civil war, Romney initially said in March that Obama had waited too long before becoming involved, and he also criticized Obama for ruling out the use of United States ground forces.[183] The next month, he said that he supported the "specific, limited mission" of enforcing a no-fly zone, but that Obama's support for the ouster of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi constituted "mission creep and mission muddle."[183] In October, after Gaddafi's death, Romney said, "I think people across the world recognize that the world is a better place without Muammar Gaddafi."[183]

Maybe Obama's position in each debate should be to show Romney has taken both sides on each issue,"Mr. Romney on X date you said _______. That contradicts what you just said Which is your real position?"

Obama is going to beat Romney in the debates. Romney is a smart guy, but he is awkward in debates. It is always easier to defend than to attack in debates, because when you are attacking you not only have to land legitimate blows, but you also have to do it while appearing likable. That is not an easy thing to do. I expect Romney will land some blows, but in the process he will appear a bit desperate and jerkish. Obama will use his calm demeanor and wait to pounce on a Romney mistake.

Romney needs a dominant performance to swing the momentum, but Obama is very good in debates. I just don't see it happening.

From Wiki- It looks like Romney could have a full hour debate on Libya all by himself:

"Concerning the involvement of the American military in the 2011 Libyan civil war, Romney initially said in March that Obama had waited too long before becoming involved, and he also criticized Obama for ruling out the use of United States ground forces.[183] The next month, he said that he supported the "specific, limited mission" of enforcing a no-fly zone, but that Obama's support for the ouster of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi constituted "mission creep and mission muddle."[183] In October, after Gaddafi's death, Romney said, "I think people across the world recognize that the world is a better place without Muammar Gaddafi."[183]

Maybe Obama's position in each debate should be to show Romney has taken both sides on each issue,"Mr. Romney on X date you said _______. That contradicts what you just said Which is your real position?"

You never give you opponent a chance to explain his 'real position'. You define it for him. Politics 101. The moment you give your opponent a voice, they will use it against you.

Very curious that the Obama campaign is downplaying expectations.

Back