• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 NBA Season postmortem

Link

Harden turns down a 4 year, 52 million dollar offer. The max is 4 years 60 million. If he doesn't get extension done by Wednesday he will be a RFA this summer, and he will get that max offer from multiple teams... which the Thunder would have to match or lose him.

If they are willing to pay him $13M, they would be insane not to pay him $15M.

If they are willing to pay him $13M, they would be insane not to pay him $15M.

It isn't really $2mm though. With the tax it's $5-10mm. Of course, if the difference between being a dynasty and being a contender is only $5mm in expenses a year, it seems like that's still a pretty easy decision.

They can make that much up in broadcast revenues or product sales.

Hell if they raise ticket prices by $5 and concession prices by $1, they will make up the $5M.

This is one of the stupidest mistakes any team could make.

Hmm? I think they should pay to keep him, but they haven't made any mistake yet. Not much incentive to sign him to a max extension since they can match any deal he receives next summer. Only reason to sign him to an extension is if they can do it for less than max.

So they are just postponing the decision to give him another max deal. OKC's "big 4" will still be in their prime.

I would love to see the Spurs sign him to a max deal. That guy is a stud.

FWIW, Thunder management has been saying they will not give Harden a max. Could be a negotiation ploy but that is the party line.

@ESPNSteinLine
For the record, tho, plenty of pessimism still circulating about Harden & OKC striking deal by WED cause OKC insisting on deal less than max

They can make that much up in broadcast revenues or product sales.

Hell if they raise ticket prices by $5 and concession prices by $1, they will make up the $5M.

This is one of the stupidest mistakes any team could make.

it is not that easy. but i do agree that they should do everything they can to keep harden.

have any of you guys noticed that he's got really jacked up teeth? i didn't notice till a couple days ago:
r620-872ba4b3441ff5d15e1a2adccfb5c9dd.jpg

still not as bad as josh childress and his dolphin chompers:
josh+childress+hair.jpg

My Gf brings up his teeth every time the NBA is on. I didn't notice it before. The beard does well to hide it

Harden traded to Rockets for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, and picks.

Wow. They will not make the Finals this year. Not sure they even make the WCF

Haven't really been following this. I figured they'd work something out. What happened?

Looks like that 52 million for 4 was all Clay was willing to pay. The difference between that and a max is like 20 more million in real dollars for the life of the contract because of the tax. And we know OKC is good but small market teams still don't have the advantage of local TV deal and naming rights/sponsors that really fill the big markets coffers.

Still don't like it for the Thunder, love it for the Rockets. We'll see how the picks look soon.

Total deal:

OKC gets:
Kevin Martin
Jeremy Lamb
Dallas' 2013 1st
Toronto's 2013 1st

Houston gets:
Harden
Cole Aldrich
Lazar Hayward
Daquan Cook
Charlotte's 2013 2nd

Holy shit, both of those picks might be lottery for OKC. I don't even know how to judge this deal.

Back