• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

this is my point about Clark Kent. Even on his best day, he's a "friend zone guy" who's "a little out of place in the big city". This does not a compelling character make.

Also on the list of compelling out of costume Marvel characters, Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Can't believe I left him out. Great character even if the movie wasn't top shelf (although I don't have the hate for it that so many seem to have).

ETA: I think Smallville Clark was pretty good. The character is much more compelling as a teenager coming to grips with his powers than as an invincible god who pretends to be a stereotypical nerd/dork/weakling.

HELL.YES.

Daredevil is the most underappreciated character in Marvel's catalog. The storylines Frank Miller did in the 80's are practically the stuff of comic book legend. He's easily one of the most compelling characters in the Marvel U almost simply because of how messed up he is. The only problem is to do Daredevil right on the big screen, Marvel would really be pushing the limits of what can be done with a super hero. Of course you want to sell toys and lunchboxes and all that, but Daredevil done the right way would be toeing a line between PG-13 and R ratings. I have high, high hopes for Matt Murdock when he gets his next film.

For DC, I LOVE the idea of using Deathstroke/Slade Wilson as a character in a DC Film. Deadshot would be another great villain that could be used. That's sort of the funny thing when it comes to the difference between Marvel and DC. Marvel has great heroes...DC has better villains. I mean...Booster Gold, DC. BOOSTER.FREAKING.GOLD.

It's past time for a big budget R rated superhero movie.

It's past time for a big budget R rated superhero movie.

Watchmen was rated R, but I know what you mean. Daredevil could easily be R-rated...sex, graphic violence, drugs...all the ingredients are there.

The stuff in Africa leading up to Wolverine quitting mostly.

Wolverine's origin story was stretched over decades in the comics. It's disjointed and confusing because of that. But the movie pretty much followed what the comics laid out with some changes thrown in here and there.

So what was so horrendously bad about it?

It was incoherent. The writing was awful. It came across very cheesy. Deadpool completely missed the mark. Nothing was really well established in terms of plot and character development. It insulted the intelligence of comic book fans by just throwing a bunch of stuff from comics against the wall to see what stuck.

I still think Spiderman 3 was the worst of all. At least DD had a compelling Kingpin.

I can't think of any redeeming value of Superman Returns.

Has anyone thought of making a Daredevil movie hidden in a Matt Murdock film?

Have the story be about a blind lawyer who in just the last 30 mins becomes the Daredevil. Don't even call it Daredevil, call it Blind Justice or something.

That's how you use that excellent background AND reintroduce that superhero.

The best part of Wolverine for me was at the very end, a gentleman who had been very vocal throughout the movie (he was funny and not really annoying) went totally apeshit when Prof X appeared on screen.

He was like: 'ITS JEAN LUC PICARD! OMG ITS JEAN LUC PICARD!!"

Made the movie for me

It was incoherent. The writing was awful. It came across very cheesy. Deadpool completely missed the mark. Nothing was really well established in terms of plot and character development. It insulted the intelligence of comic book fans by just throwing a bunch of stuff from comics against the wall to see what stuck.

I still think Spiderman 3 was the worst of all. At least DD had a compelling Kingpin.

I didn't have very high expectations going into it. I found the story in the comics incoherent so I expected the movie to be. They did a ton of stuff in comics with amensia, false memories, Silver Fox real or not, loads of suggestions that Sabretooth was his father, etc... so it is what is.

I liked Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool at the beginning of the movie (assualting that building in Africa), but didn't like what they did to him at the end for the big fight scene.

Anyway I thought the Wolverine movie was mediocre, but have seen worse. I would say the same thing about Daredevil. Spider-man 3 crammed too much into it and developed nothing. It was a real disappointment after the other two Spider-man movies which I thought were good but not great.

I'm not a huge fan of the Logan in Japan storyline from the comics. So I expect it to be about the same and get a similiar reaction from audiences. I'll still watch, but it's not going to even be in the same ballpark as the first Iron Man movie or the Batman stuff.

My standard for worst super hero movie is Batman and Robin. Neon in Gotham? A muscle bound Mister Freeze? Mindless Bane? General cheesy set design with Poison Ivy's obviously fake flowers. You had Arnold but used as Mr. Freeze instead of Bane? It's like they set out to destroy that franchise.

Have the story be about a blind lawyer who in just the last 30 mins becomes the Daredevil. Don't even call it Daredevil, call it Blind Justice or something.

This is pretty much exactly what Frank Miller did in the 80's to re-introduce the character. It's a really great story you can get in one collected edition. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think he even shows up in costume until the very end of the story (he may not have even shown up in costume at all...it's been a while since I've read it).

detail.jpeg

I like it, but the studios would be hesitant to focus on a blind guy for 90 minutes before getting to the action.

An idea I probably posted earlier in this thread is to have a Kingpin TV drama in which Matt Murdock and Daredevil are his primary antagonist. Now is a great time for a comic book based TV drama now that many well-regarded TV shows have an anti-hero or straight up villain as a protagonist, thus catching up to the genre.

I like it, but the studios would be hesitant to focus on a blind guy for 90 minutes before getting to the action.

An idea I probably posted earlier in this thread is to have a Kingpin TV drama in which Matt Murdock and Daredevil are his primary antagonist. Now is a great time for a comic book based TV drama now that many well-regarded TV shows have an anti-hero or straight up villain as a protagonist, thus catching up to the genre.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work. Batman Begins spent a good long while before the audience got ears and a cape...it can work with the right director.

how would that work? like it's advertised as a legal drama with a Daredevil kicker?

Back