• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Eisenberg feels like he'd be a better Riddler than Lex to me.

Just finished DD...the critics are flat out wrong. There may not be a more emotionally complex, taxing show. Absolutely stellar. I can't wait for Season 3 and Cage. And we need a Punisher series. That just can't be the last we see of that character. Never once did it seem like there was too much going on. It all connected beautifully.

As I was watching an episode of the Justice League animated show on Netflix, it occurred to me that (DAREDEVIL SPOILER BELOW)
The mastermind for this season of DD was Lex Luthor (voice in animated JL) ETA - Ok, so not overall mastermind for the season, but rather for the Punisher's arc.

Should have figured that was the Justice League reference. It's always hard to imagine him playing a good guy.

I think Daredevil Season 2 had the best of the Netflix finales. We knew there was going to be some connective tissue between the four Netflix series. The connections between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and Iron Fist were obvious. It's good to see the connections between Daredevil and the rest fleshed out more. Great use of guest stars in both the JJ and DD S2 finales.

Just a good show. It's hard to rank it compared to Season 1 and JJ. It's good to see Marvel can tell such a sprawling story in such a cohesive manner compared to JJ which was very centered around JJ vs. Kilgrave. Lots of moving parts this season and it worked.

I stayed away from Sepinwall's writeups until finishing the show. It's what I suspected. His orientation as a TV writer and recap leads him to focus on each episode not the complete experience. This is a 12 hour movie, not 13 individual episodes of TV. I think a movie reviewer would capture the essence of the show better. This show is the opposite of something like The Sopranos or Mad Men. Episode of those shows focus on a core story with some overall movement of the season long plot. Main characters go unseen or episodes at a time. Not Daredevil. This is continuous storytelling. We need to check in with Foggy and Karen. We need to keep up with Punisher's arc even as it moves away from Daredevil.

Last edited:
jesus christ you guys with the spoilers. You basically have to watch any CB show or movie the opening night or day or else get it spoiled. This thread is pointless for future CB stuff, there needs to be a separate thread.

There's a button on the Pit page called "Start New Thread" that actually takes fewer keystrokes to just go ahead and make a thread than to reply to this one just to bitch about the need for another thread. Twice.

I always see, not just here but elsewhere too, the critical score of 30% referenced for BvS. I noticed that there's a big discrepancy with the fan score - 74% at this particular moment. That made me wonder if this was common for there to be such a difference, if the fans were always much more forgiving, so I looked up some samples. (Note: I wish their querying was easier. They provide access to an API that would have made this easier but you have to request permission. Oh well, I'll pound it out old school.)

The order here is movie name, critical %, audience %

Batman & Robin, 11, 16
Superman IV, 12, 16
Superman 3, 26, 23
Batman Forever, 41, 33 (audiences were harsher on this one)
Man of Steel, 56, 71
Batman, 72, 84
Superman Returns, 76, 61
Batman Returns, 80, 73
Batman Begins, 85, 94
The Dark Knight Rises, 87, 90
Superman 2, 89, 75
Superman, 93, 86
The Dark Knight, 94, 94

Thankfully RT happened to have an article up with the Batman and Superman movies so it was easy to access the data.

I tried thinking of a few crappy movies from the recent past just to get a broader picture.
Pixels, 17, 48
Fant4stic, 9, 19
Elektra, 10, 30
Catwoman, 9, 18

As I was looking for what's out right now, it seems critics are particularly grumpy right now. These are the new releases:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, 25, 69
Born to be Blue, 85, 83
Get a Job, 6, 30
I Saw the Light, 13, 45

The last 2 seem to have small samples, I think at least one of them isn't even fully released but they're both on the RT page.

Oddly enough, the only other movie I found with a similar discrepancy between critics and audience scores was also released this weekend. BvS has a significantly larger sample size though.

I checked to see how you vote, and it requires a Facebook login. So I doubt it's a ballot stuffing effort to get the fan score up.

My point isn't some pro BvS agenda, I just noticed the score difference and it made me curious so I'm just sharing the results I found.

A couple notes on that, though:

-The audience score was that high (actually in the 80s) back on Thursday afternoon. I know it technically came out Wednesday, but that seemed artificially high from the get-go.

-The majority of people voting on that do it through an app (Flixster, I think). It's linked with FB pretty easily.

-I think when you're looking for comparison points, the ideal movie would be poorly reviewed blockbusters, for which there is the "NOT EVERY MOVIE NEEDS TO BE SMART, TURN OFF YR BRAIN GAWD" pushback. So, movies like Transformers: RotF (19 critic/59 audience), Grown Ups (10/62), or TMNT (21/51). Certain movies are flashpoints for this sort of phenomenon, and I don't think it has anything to do with genre; I suspect that BvS being a CBM is irrelevant.

That most movies listed are superhero is due to their having an article on their front page that happened to be about the two characters and then the rest were simply what came from the top of my head, not that I was constraining anything to comic book movies.

Last edited:
CBM: Daredevil Season 2; Batman vs. Superman (spoilers)

One of the best measures of audience reaction is cinemascore. BvS got a B. The same as Green Lantern. Man of Steel got an A-. All the Dark Knight's and the Iron Man's and Avengers: AoU got an A. Fant4stic got a C-, lol.

Last edited:
There's a button on the Pit page called "Start New Thread" that actually takes fewer keystrokes to just go ahead and make a thread than to reply to this one just to bitch about the need for another thread. Twice.

I always see, not just here but elsewhere too, the critical score of 30% referenced for BvS. I noticed that there's a big discrepancy with the fan score - 74% at this particular moment. That made me wonder if this was common for there to be such a difference, if the fans were always much more forgiving, so I looked up some samples. (Note: I wish their querying was easier. They provide access to an API that would have made this easier but you have to request permission. Oh well, I'll pound it out old school.)

The order here is movie name, critical %, audience %

Batman & Robin, 11, 16
Superman IV, 12, 16
Superman 3, 26, 23
Batman Forever, 41, 33 (audiences were harsher on this one)
Man of Steel, 56, 71
Batman, 72, 84
Superman Returns, 76, 61
Batman Returns, 80, 73
Batman Begins, 85, 94
The Dark Knight Rises, 87, 90
Superman 2, 89, 75
Superman, 93, 86
The Dark Knight, 94, 94

Thankfully RT happened to have an article up with the Batman and Superman movies so it was easy to access the data.

I tried thinking of a few crappy movies from the recent past just to get a broader picture.
Pixels, 17, 48
Fant4stic, 9, 19
Elektra, 10, 30
Catwoman, 9, 18

As I was looking for what's out right now, it seems critics are particularly grumpy right now. These are the new releases:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, 25, 69
Born to be Blue, 85, 83
Get a Job, 6, 30
I Saw the Light, 13, 45

The last 2 seem to have small samples, I think at least one of them isn't even fully released but they're both on the RT page.

Oddly enough, the only other movie I found with a similar discrepancy between critics and audience scores was also released this weekend. BvS has a significantly larger sample size though.

I checked to see how you vote, and it requires a Facebook login. So I doubt it's a ballot stuffing effort to get the fan score up.

My point isn't some pro BvS agenda, I just noticed the score difference and it made me curious so I'm just sharing the results I found.

Movies that came out 10 or 15+ years ago weren't instantaneously reviewed by audiences, like they are now, so the audience reviews for movies like Batman Returns aren't comparable to the audience reviews for Man of Steel. You can bet that the excited first weekend audience for Batman Forever would have given it good scores, despite the nipples on the batsuit.

Last edited:
I don't know how audience reaction is done on RT, but on IMDB 36.1% of voters have given it a 10 (4.6% have given it a 1). There is no way anywhere near that amount of the audience think it's a 10- it's just people who love the characters and don't want the movie to be shit.

Batman vs Superman did not make any sense and was fucking stupid. I hated Lex and wished that Supes just tea bagged him. Problem solved!

Daredevil season 2 was great but would have been better if Naboo was played by Ricky Steamboat.

Just watched Tuesday's episode of The Flash. I put it off to finish Daredevil and because a speedster villain of the week didn't seem particularly interested. I was wrong. Better episode than expected and the Zoom reveal paid off and was not as disappointing as I thought it would be and not as disappointing as the somewhat false reveal before.

'Batman V Superman' Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray Releases July 16
While Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice sets its sights on a record-setting $170-180 million domestic opening weekend and likely $400+ million worldewide opening, we finally have an official street date for the home entertainment release, which seems to include the much-discussed R-rated version of the film. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut will be part of a package of Blu-ray and DVD options landing on store shelves July 16th.

Zack Snyder’s Watchmen also had an Ultimate Cut, which included most all of the deleted footage as well as some additional animated sequences. That version became widely hailed as the definitive way to watch the film, not to mention winning over a lot of fans who were initially less impressed by the theatrical version. I personally consider Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut to be one of the greatest superhero films of all time, in a special tier of superhero movies alongside Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy for example.

The Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman won’t just have more violence, as some suggested/assumed when they saw the R-rating. It also includes deleted scenes that increase the presence of certain characters in the film and add new characters not present in the theatrical release. But it does indeed also include additional footage of violence and carnage, and maybe even some brief nudity, so the R-rating will apparently be well-earned.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-ultimate-edition-blu-ray-releases-july-16/#36ea46bc6f9f

Just got in from BvS. That was an awful movie. Here are some rambling thoughts.

Wonder Woman was the only good part of the movie. They took all the mystery out of her appearance by having her play Black Widow for the first 75% of the movie.
Ben Afleck is a good actor. Ben Afleck is not a good Batman. Lots of wasted time with the Batman origin story and nothing about the 20 years fighting crime in Gotham besides the Joker suit.
Superman is boring. Nobody cared when Superman died. I'm glad they explained that one of the caskets was empty. Literally nobody was wondering why.
My wife laughed out loud when Lois Lane was trapped underwater and I whispered "Swim, Sissy Spacek."
Coming out of the theater, someone explained the guy in the water with the trident as "Submariner."
Esienberg would've made a great Riddler. He made a horrid Lex Luthor. Lex Luthor is cunning, devious and most of all greedy. This Luthor was batshit crazy. What was his gameplan after Doomsday killed Superman? Rule over an empty world?
Batman's reason for fighting Superman was non-existent.

Marvel took 5+ years introducing all of the Avengers with their own movies and own plot lines. We knew all of the characters, all of the side characters and all of their stories before they were thrown together in a pot.

DC saw that and said, "Let's not waste the time." They threw together 2 meh Superman movies, ignored 3 great Batman movies, gave Wonder Woman a supporting actress role and made it a day. They're going to add in more JLA members. Why? Because Batman has a feeling. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Last edited:
Just got in from BvS. That was an awful movie. Here are some rambling thoughts.

Wonder Woman was the only good part of the movie. They took all the mystery out of her appearance by having her play Black Widow for the first 75% of the movie.
Ben Afleck is a good actor. Ben Afleck is not a good Batman. Lots of wasted time with the Batman origin story and nothing about the 20 years fighting crime in Gotham besides the Joker suit.
Superman is boring. Nobody cared when Superman died. I'm glad they explained that one of the caskets was empty. Literally nobody was wondering why.
My wife laughed out loud when Lois Lane was trapped underwater and I whispered "Swim, Sissy Spacek."
Coming out of the theater, someone explained the guy in the water with the trident as "Submariner."
Esienberg would've made a great Riddler. He made a horrid Lex Luthor. Lex Luthor is cunning, devious and most of all greedy. This Luthor was batshit crazy. What was his gameplan after Doomsday killed Superman? Rule over an empty world?
Batman's reason for fighter Superman was non-existent.

Marvel took 5+ years introducing all of the Avengers with their own movies and own plot lines. We knew all of the characters, all of the side characters and all of their stories before they were thrown together in a pot.

DC saw that and said, "Let's not waste the time." They threw together 2 meh Superman movies, ignored 3 great Batman movies, gave Wonder Woman a supporting actress role and made it a day. They're going to add in more JLA members. Why? Because Batman has a feeling. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I agree with all of the above. I was really hoping the audience reviews I'd read would be right and it wouldn't be as bad as most of the critic reviews. My hopes were dashed quite early in the film. The only parts I would say I enjoyed were the fight scenes. I liked the warehouse one where Batman was rescuing Martha, but it was from the trailer, so that was a bit disappointing.

I agree with all of the above. I was really hoping the audience reviews I'd read would be right and it wouldn't be as bad as most of the critic reviews. My hopes were dashed quite early in the film. The only parts I would say I enjoyed were the fight scenes. I liked the warehouse one where Batman was rescuing Martha, but it was from the trailer, so that was a bit disappointing.

Why did you say that name???

Back