• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I want to know what the plans were for the 3rd movie when Ledger was still alive.

Good article. I didn't get the nods to Todd and Drake when I watched the movie. Well done. Got to see it on IMAX next week. Complete fail not doing it this week.

The first commenter on the article sums up my thoughts pretty well:

"The only other extension one could draw from the implications of the end of Dark Knight Rises stems from acknowledging the TONS and TONS of references to the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. Let’s face it, TDKR was more Dark Knight Returns than it even was Knightfall, with Bane and the Mutant Gang leader sort of grafted together.

At the end of the Dark Knight Returns, after coming out of retirement to save the city, after defeating a gang leader that beat up Batman until Batman healed up and beat him, Batman fakes his own death. After doing so, he along with a new Robin he picked up along the way, Bruce starts up an army of young Batmen in the cave. Now Batman has been known to disappear to pull himself together after a major event comes to a close in Gotham. Maybe Bruce is just on a post victory vacation with Selina and will return to Gotham to train Blake (I mean, the guy has no martial arts training or the stealth stuff, he’s gonna die in a week otherwise) and then use that boys home that now stands above the Batcave to recruit more heroes to the cause.

Unlikely maybe. But after all the Dark Knight Returns nods in TDKR from visual motifs, to huge chunks of plot and right down to quoting some of its more famous lines, its not out of the question for Nolan to leave just enough of an opening for fans who know the source material to imply a step further."

Weird... to think of Tom Waits as a young up and comer.

Saw it yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. Not nearly as entertaining to me as the first two, but a decent way to end the trilogy. Whoever said it should've been broken up into two movies is right. They introduced so many new characters and none of them are properly fleshed out. I thought JGL was the best part of the movie, but Talia was so oddly used that her major reveal at the end didn't really carry much power to me. Bane's death was anticlimactic, though I did like him as a villain more than I thought I would. Kind of disappointing considering expectations, but still solid.

This conversation about Superman's origin being tough to skip speaks to my distaste for him as a character. He is too powerful, too perfect. He has no pivotal events that really thrust him into becoming a superhero, he is just "born" a superhero. I just find very little about his story, as I know it at least, that is compelling. Give me Bruce Banner, Logan, Bruce Wayne, Ben Grimm, Tony Stark, etc. any day.

Even though I understand your frustrations, the one thing that intrigues me about Superman is that Clark Kent is his costume.

Because his true nature/self is super, Clark is his view of humanity: clumsy, weak, dim-witted.

Therefore his role is a power/responsibility type role.

As for my DKR thoughts, count me as one of those who went in. Thinking there was no way the movie could beat DK, but left very pleased with what I saw.

Even with my previous batman knowledge and my assumptions about the characters and roles in this movie I was still surprised by many of the reveals. I knew that Talia was going to do something, but didn't expect that betrayal right there. I think Catwoman was done really well. I thought Bruce was dead. I also thought Banes sophisticated, brutal and overwhelming strength made him a perfect villain for Bruce

I was very impressed he managed to tie it off so well, and I can't wait to see it a second time

I saw it last night and it was tremendous. Very happy with the ending.

I thought it was fucking awesome. If you're not absolutely jacked up by the end of this then you just don't like movies.

Tom Hardy killed it as Bane. He had to portray the character essentially with only his eyes, and he still made Bane menacing as hell. I tried to pay attention to Bane's eyes, and I think throughout the entire movie he only blinked twice. Once was when he brought Wayne into the prison and was describing how he would allow him to die after breaking his soul, and the second was at the end when Talia was recounting their history. That moment was the only one when we get a glimpse of Bane's humanity.

I want to know what the plans were for the 3rd movie when Ledger was still alive.

Why? What's the point, other than to find another reason to unfairly compare TDKR with TDK?

Seems to me from the Nolan letter that they weren't even thinking of a third movie while making the second one. Considering Ledger died before TDK was complete, I'd say there was no plan.

Last edited:
Pretty sure some variation of The Dark Knight Returns was always the plan.

I thought it was fucking awesome. If you're not absolutely jacked up by the end of this then you just don't like movies.

Tom Hardy killed it as Bane. He had to portray the character essentially with only his eyes, and he still made Bane menacing as hell. I tried to pay attention to Bane's eyes, and I think throughout the entire movie he only blinked twice. Once was when he brought Wayne into the prison and was describing how he would allow him to die after breaking his soul, and the second was at the end when Talia was recounting their history. That moment was the only one when we get a glimpse of Bane's humanity.

Totally agree. I really wish he got a little more screentime--his scenes are so captivating. I'm not suggesting anything be cut out, i'd watch a 3 hour movie if it meant more Bane.

Interesting observation. I'm seeing it again tonight - gonna keep an eye out for that (hey yo!).

Back