• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I like how Kristen Wiig was supposed to pull off the nerd to hot vixen thing. She can play a nerd just fine, and while she looks great for her age, she is not, nor was she ever, a hot vixen. She was badly miscast, and her character's transformation from nerd to evil shitty CGIed cheetah was just awful, the result of poor writing. She beats up the guy who was hassling her and we are supposed to believe that this is some transformation to the dark side? The movie is fucking 2 1/2 hours long and they can't throw something else in there that turns her?

And Pedro Pascal...c'mon. Not believable as a hustler at all. His overacting at the end is consistent with supervillains, but the writing for that part was awful too. Oh, he doesn't technically have to touch people now because of superparticles or some shit. Whatever.

The opening sequence was shit too. Just overwhelming CGI nonsense. CGI that looked 10 years old.

I don't ask for a lot, but you have Gal Gadot there, and I can look at her pretty easily for 2 1/2 hours. Just give me something fairly solid plot-wise for a superhero movie and cast better people.

Oddly enough, I thought the stuff with Chris Pine was the most effective, and that was hamhanded AF.

And yes, Soul was MUCH better. A life affirming story, cool scoring from Trent Reznor, and some cool little jazz pieces as well.

It was a 2.5 hour superhero film with about 3 minutes of superhero vs. supervillain battle and 3 action pieces overall.

So did the final battle take place in a DC bunker? If so, where did they fly? There was a lot of flying at the end.

It was such a weird movie. None of it made sense. But the positive reviews aren’t outlandish. They just saw or wanted something I didn’t.

The CGI was laughably bad. DC CGI immediately looks outdated but go back and look at Iron Man from 2008 and it still looks good.

I don't know if it's been shared on this thread before, but I saw this video a few years ago and always come back to it regarding Marvel vs. DCU movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p-lyt78cyA&feature=emb_logo

TLDW: Good CGI action sequences, like Marvel, maintain the physics and "weight" of the action so the viewer can appreciate the impact and power of the action. I think about this when, for example, watching WW and Ares throw lightning bolts at each other at the end of the first movie. When its just two gods fighting with bolts of light, who cares?

On WW84 specifically, its just incredibly clunky. Good editing could've cut run time down an hour. Cut either the mall heist or the Amazons scene. What did the Amazons do except loop in Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen? Cut Egypt. Cut the Mayan shaman. Just all unnecessary.

Then, the whole body swap thing is really weird. Why does the stone put Chris Pine in another guys body? And why don't either of them care about this guy who gets possessed?

Finally, the two villain thing didn't work for me. I'd rather have just Pedro or just Cheetah. And the final resolution is just that she talked to the world and everybody, collectively, decided to do the right thing and rescind their wish? sure...

Yeah, the way she saved the world was dumb as shit. Whoever wrote that should be canned immediately.

Also, I'm sure that any old WWII cargo pilot could hop into the cockpit of a 1980's fighter jet in DC and fly it back and forth to Cairo 5,800 miles each way with no discernible possibility of refueling.

Yeah, the way she saved the world was dumb as shit. Whoever wrote that should be canned immediately.

Also, I'm sure that any old WWII cargo pilot could hop into the cockpit of a 1980's fighter jet in DC and fly it back and forth to Cairo 5,800 miles each way with no discernible possibility of refueling.

Yes, that was immediately apparent to me as well regarding the jet, as well as the fact that it was apparently pressurized and there was thus no need for oxygen masks above the clouds. I guess since she made it invisible, they could refuel on the sly without anybody noticing in the middle of the Atlantic ocean somewhere...like 4 or 5 times. Or maybe making it invisible made the fuel invisible as well and thus unnecessary so it could be flown for any distance and/or until it fell out of the sky.

Oh, I forgot how stupid the plane scene was. I assumed, because the plane was next to several older models and her work badge got her access, that those were part of the Smithsonian collection. So, why was the plane just fueled and ready to fly sitting out on the runway? And yeah, some planes can fly DC to Cairo, but not fighter jets.

The Mayan shaman named Frank Patel played by Ravi Patel. I think it was probably explained but it lost me before that.

Who in the hell would cast Kristen Wiig as a supervillain ?

Kristen Wiig is fine if you need a hot funny woman to play a social awkward woman who turns into a hot confident likable woman. I didn’t have a problem with any of the casting. The whole thing was just off.

The Mayan shaman named Frank Patel played by Ravi Patel. I think it was probably explained but it lost me before that.

I was taken aback by Patel playing a Mayan Shaman. Where did you get the name "Frank Patel" from? In credits his character is name Babajide, which lines up with what I remember him being called. Not that I could have recited his name, but I would have remembered if it was Patel.

I did a little digging to see if this was some legacy character but apparently not.

Because Frank Patel was the name on a magazine Diana picked up at his place. The implication was that was his real name and “Babajide” was made up.

Interesting. Call me George Clooney if names on magazines you have nearby imply your actual name.

ETA - just rewatched the scene. Magazine is addressed to Frank Patel and she questions him about it and he says he's a citizen of the world. Weird exchange but probably just there to provide cover for Patel, who got the role due to a prior relationship with Jenkins, playing a Mayan.

Last edited:
so was she just sitting around for 70 years not being Wonder Woman and then decided to go out and save people/stop criminals? the news broadcast following the mall heist implied this was a new thing.

She only missed out on WW2, the depression, Jim Crow, a couple lesser wars. Small potatoes compared to a mall heist.

There was no explanation of what she’s been doing over the last 70 years of not aging aside from the pictures and even then all we know is she remained friends with Etta.

There’s a more interesting story about a woman who fought in WWI and doesn’t age so she has to reinvent herself in every era in order to maintain a secret identity all the while knowing she has the power to do more. But they didn’t tell that story. What did she do during the rise of the Nazi Party and the Holocaust?

yeah there was really no point to this being set in 1984 other than to kick off some nostalgia. seems like it would have been a better idea to do something like WW1, WW2, Cold War/Vietnam in the sequels.

also in the first one Chris Pine's plane crashes near their island which gives away its secrecy. heretofore, planes were a novel thing so during WW2 seems like a much greater chance of that island being found out.

yeah there was really no point to this being set in 1984 other than to kick off some nostalgia. seems like it would have been a better idea to do something like WW1, WW2, Cold War/Vietnam in the sequels.

The 80s mall scene was a pretty cool visual. Standard Waldenbooks shot. Which mall in DC was it supposed to be?

You can film DC to be in the 80s without having to do a ton of background CGI.

Some Marvel tidbits. Has anybody checked out the Marvel podcasts on SiriusXM?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/pod...ches-exclusive-new-audio-series-with-siriusxm

There was a big Eternals info dump on Twitter yesterday. Cast descriptions and such. Definitely got me more excited about the film. There is a rumor of a DisneyXD animated series coming next year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eternalsnews

Back