• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Pretty good point:

rob delaney ‏@robdelaney
Attn people who say nothing will change: SuperPACs JUST lost big, you ninnies. Gun lobby’s greatest asset is merely $. That ain’t enough.

Lots of straw men around the gun ownership and availability argument here. It is frightening.

Jesus christ, I mean, you know it's bad when the religious wackos bring abortion into the discussion.

There is a huge question about it. Research has consistently shown that the most consistent factor in high gun death areas is easy availability of guns. EVERYTHING else held equal. They have violent TV shows and movies in every other developed country, but this is the only one with absurdly high rates of gun death. You just have your head in the sand on this one.

So do you honestly believe that the de-sensitizing that occurs from watching violent shows, playing violent video games, etc. doesn't play a major role in why these kinds of events are occuring more often now than they were 20+ year ago?

You're the one with your head in the sand!

So do you honestly believe that the de-sensitizing that occurs from watching violent shows, playing violent video games, etc. doesn't play a major role in why these kinds of events are occuring more often now than they were 20+ year ago?

There were some pretty violent movies in the 1970s and 1980s, but I'm open to that conversation.

You're the only who thinks so. Most have agree with my concepts. It's you who no one thinks is rational.

Here's one of RJ's briliant concepts that most agree with: Remove 4.6% from someone's paycheck and they can still afford everything they could before you removed it.

These kinds of insights will rescue our country from the evil libertarian free thinkers who threaten it. Let RJ lead the way on gun laws.

OR maybe we should have conversation about the side effects of psychotropic drugs:

http://www.jaapl.org/content/37/3/371.long

Malphurs and Cohen,21 in the study of spousal homicide-suicide in older persons, determined that 65 percent of murder-suicide perpetrators were depressed. On autopsy, none of them tested positive for antidepressants. The authors further found that many of the perpetrators had been prescribed benzodiazepines by their primary care physicians. In a study of homicide-suicide in older persons, Cohen et al.13 found that in the two groups of older persons studied, 37 and 19 percent had depression. In 171 cases of murder-suicide, only two of the perpetrators tested positive for antidepressants.

I think it plays a role, but I don't think that role is major, and I don't think it's nearly as big a role as the widespread availability of guns

top 5 safest countries to live in
1. Iceland (tight gun control)
2. Norway (total ban on automatic weapons)
3. Finland (ban of firearms in public)
4. Ireland (tight gun control laws)
5. Singapore (guns are banned)

I know virtually nothing about guns, so I YouTubed the Bushmaster 223. Can someone tell me a) if this is the type of "long gun" (medical examiner's term, not mine) Lanza used and b) why the hell anyone who is not in the military needs to have access to such a weapon?

i don't know if he had an AR or M version; AR (AR stands for Armalite, the original manufacturer, not 'assault rifle') is semi automatic and has the same "pez dispenser" type function of a handgun in terms of feeding rounds from the mag one at a time. The M version in this video is the military model and has more automatic capabilities. as noted before, those are significantly harder and very expensive to acquire.

as for why? different people will have different answers. a weapon like that typically isn't a self-defense gun. .223 is the standard round for groundhog/large rodents. someone protecting their land or intending to hunt smaller game might have something like it.

There's nothing "fabricated" about most of America wanting to end sales of guns by private sellers at gun shows.

There's nothing "fabricated" that most of America supports limiting the size of magazines. If you can't stop an intruder with 15 shots, you're very likely going to be dead anyway.

There's nothing "fabricated" that most don't think assault weapons should be sold to citizens.

There's nothing "fabricated" about the fact most Americans oppose the ability of individuals to buy as many guns at one time as they as they can afford.

What is "fabricated" is that what you believe in is close to the mainstream in America.

Look, I don't give a fuck if you want to ban high-cap magazines like the drum clip used in Colorado. I do think it's silly when you start thinking violence is going to be curbed if you make me buy a 10 round magazine because you ban 12 round magazines (Brady Bill).

What is fabricated are the preconceptions about guns. You and others are operating in a Fantasyland when it comes to what you think you know about them. When Rupert Murdoch tweets about banning automatic weapons in the US and they are already banned (unless you are a federal firearms dealer), it is representative of the larger problem of misinformation. People think assault weapons equal a fucking machine gun, and thus, yes, they don't think you should be allowed to own one because people are basing their opinions on misconceptions.

The amazing thing about these shootings is that in nearly all cases, we end up seeing a bunch of proposals that would not have stopped what happened, and that is predictably what we are seeing again-- from you and others.

i don't know if he had an AR or M version; AR (AR stands for Armalite, the original manufacturer, not 'assault rifle') is semi automatic and has the same "pez dispenser" type function of a handgun in terms of feeding rounds from the mag one at a time. The M version in this video is the military model and has more automatic capabilities. as noted before, those are significantly harder and very expensive to acquire.

as for why? different people will have different answers. a weapon like that typically isn't a self-defense gun. .223 is the standard round for groundhog/large rodents. someone protecting their land or intending to hunt smaller game might have something like it.

Seriously? You obviously know what you're talking about, but that surprises me. I've fired one of those AR assault rifles. The fucking thing is loud, powerful, and can fire damn fast. I can't imagine someone using that gun to kill gophers.

While desensitizing plays a role, I think the larger problem is the growing selfishness in this country. You are entitled to get everything you want, when you want it, including beliefs, and anyone who tells you no or has a different opinion is evil. This valuing of one's self, and devaluation of others, is dangerous.

top 5 safest countries to live in
1. Iceland (tight gun control)
2. Norway (total ban on automatic weapons)
3. Finland (ban of firearms in public)
4. Ireland (tight gun control laws)
5. Singapore (guns are banned)

Colombia is considered to have "restrictive" gun laws. Where ate they on the safest country list? Rwanda is also extremely restrictive. Somalia? Restrictive.

I could list many others but I think my point is clear.

Colombia is considered to have "restrictive" gun laws. Where ate they on the safest country list? Rwanda is also extremely restrictive. Somalia? Restrictive.

That gun control isn't sufficient to guarantee safety? You also need things like not genocide and drug empires?

Lets compare apples to apples. Some of those are war torn 3rd world countries. The other is in the pocket of the cartels. I suppose if Colombia has US gun laws, the cartels would be done.

Last edited:
Back