• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

No. My entire point is you can't dumb this down to "the five safest countries have gun control." I think it's a simplified argument that that ignores many more factors of the safety of a nation, of which gun control is but one. It's a knee jerk reaction that ignores a lot of other problems the US has on top of access to guns.

Such as?

Biggest problem is gun control.

Could be. I just think listing five counties that are, for the most part, homogeneous with low poverty levels (Scandinavia) or highly oppressive (Singapore with mandatory death penalty for drugs) and saying it would lower overall gun deaths is a narrow argument. I'm not saying gun control wouldn't help, I'm just saying I don't buy that particular argument.

The problem is insanely complex in its origin and solution.... but its existence is pretty easy to understand. We are the most armed nation per capita in the world, and as a 1st world country have by far the worst gun crime.

The problem is insanely complex in its origin and solution.... but its existence is pretty easy to understand. We are the most armed nation per capita in the world, and as a 1st world country have by far the worst gun crime.
actually I think it is Switzerland but it is bc they do not have a military but I could be wrong

I just don't get how people think with how many guns are out there that they are then going to be able to be taken out. I mean make guns illegal, what does that do? Are you going to raid homes to get them?

I just don't get how people think with how many guns are out there that they are then going to be able to be taken out. I mean make guns illegal, what does that do? Are you going to raid homes to get them?

So your argument is that there are too many guns so we can't do anything about it?

There are too many terrorists... why do anything about it.... we can crack down at airports, but there will still be a lot of terrorists.

A war on guns won't work any better than a war on drugs. Only law abiding peoplesheep will pay any attention to it.

So your argument is that there are too many guns so we can't do anything about it?

There are too many terrorists... why do anything about it.... we can crack down at airports, but there will still be a lot of terrorists.

Yeah drugs are everywhere and there not being made legal......ooops

Banning guns can't be done in this country under the Second Amendment, and it is politically untouchable anyway. What can be done is reasonable restrictions on who can possess guns, changes to how they are registered (a lot of people have pointed out the car registration system), requiring gun owners to carry some type of insurance, and putting in place some ways to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people. On the crazy people front, you could start out by having a much more robust mental health system so crazy people are identified and treated, by having a mechanism to remove guns from the possession of people who have certain diagnoses, and by making gun owners financially responsible if the guns registered to them are used in a crime. Maybe Nancy Lanza would not have had so many guns or kept them accessible to her crazy son if some of those things were in place.

Could be. I just think listing five counties that are, for the most part, homogeneous with low poverty levels (Scandinavia) or highly oppressive (Singapore with mandatory death penalty for drugs) and saying it would lower overall gun deaths is a narrow argument. I'm not saying gun control wouldn't help, I'm just saying I don't buy that particular argument.

Then why not respond to the myriad posts on this thread that make nuanced, complex arguments for more gun control rather than just focusing on one post by one person?

Again, nobody (except for Shoo) is suggesting making guns completely illegal. This is a stupid strawman that you guys keep knocking down.

64618_129799613845298_1254342821_n.jpg

Have you ever thought about the difficulty of transporting guns across a border vs. transporting drugs?

I suggest you read Arlington's post here:

http://www.ogboards.com/forums/show...Control-Laws&p=1036542&viewfull=1#post1036542

If there is a market for something it will be smuggled. People are selling stolen Tide out of cars and are risking electricution by pulling copper out of sub stations as we speak. Dont forget our government was smuggling guns INTO Mexico not long ago and we couldn't even keep up with those. It is scary to think thing how much the Central American cartels could do with a gun ban. What are we going to do, secure the border? :bowrofl:

Last edited:
would it really be that hard to get them back? the people who have legal ones are all registered somewhere - give them 30 days to return them (let the gov't reimburse them in some capacity financially) and make the penalties extremely harsh for anyone who is later found to have one, including several years of mandatory jail time and crippling fines.

i am completely fine with a complete gun ban. i am tired of these stories, and have no respect for the people who think they need a gun to defend themselves against hypothetical gun-wielding burglars.

Back