• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Do you have examples of similar cases where the white perpetrator was "excused" due to mental illness while the black perpetrator's actions were said to be caused by a culture of violence?

We literally have a 1300 page thread on this forum with numerous examples.

We recently had a shooting at Mt. Tabor in Winston where the narrative about culture of violence was prevalent.

John Hinckley says hello

he's no longer institutionalized so you can say hello yourself

He is responding to this nonsense.

*** The very very few people who successfully plea insanity are institutionalized for the rest of their lives.

And while you're at it, say hello to the since-released John Michael Hayes. The Winston mass shooter acquitted on grounds of insanity. Released by the State of North Carolina a few years ago.

He is responding to this nonsense.

And while you're at it, say hello to the since-released John Michael Hayes. The Winston mass shooter acquitted on grounds of insanity. Released by the State of North Carolina a few years ago.

Hinkley was in custody for 35 years...what would someone normally get for 4-5 counts of attempted murder?

You aren’t interpreting that scenario correctly. Prison is conceptually intended to rehabilitate criminals so that they can eventually be reintroduced to society. A person who doesn’t understand right and wrong can’t be rehabilitated and by that understanding it would be cruel for the state to force them into rehabilitative incarceration. The very very few people who successfully plea insanity are institutionalized for the rest of their lives.

Lol

Chef’s kiss

I’d hope after over 20+ years practicing law and discussing legal issues with you all, at some point you’d stop and think, “Hmm…WB probably knows what he’s talking about here. Maybe I should take note, look it up for myself, read up on the issue, and not dive into a counter argument based simply on what I believe to be true.”

Rehabilitation is only one of the 4 justifications for incarceration, the others being deterrence, incapacitation, and retribution. A person who can’t be rehabilitated can still be punished and his incarceration can deter others from committing crimes.

clearly

I’d hope after over 20+ years practicing law and discussing legal issues with you all, at some point you’d stop and think, “Hmm…WB probably knows what he’s talking about here. Maybe I should take note, look it up for myself, read up on the issue, and not dive into a counter argument based simply on what I believe to be true.”

why? he's just a troll

20+ years?!? WB has only been posting for about 10 months.

“Hmm…WB probably knows what he’s talking about here.

Not believing in the insanity defense isn’t a matter of expertise, it’s just an opinion. None of the 4 purposes of incarceration would apply to the very rare defendant who is acquitted for legal insanity, as they would have to prove to a jury that they didn’t know what they were doing is wrong.

True. Yet I’ve never doubted board lawyers know the law. I’m critical of the laws and the legal system.

You should definitely doubt that, particularly when lawyers start talking about areas of the law in which they don't practice or are JH. People think lawyers know the answer to every type of legal question, but that's like asking a proctologist to perform open heart surgery. Ask me a hard ERISA question and I have no fucking clue.

Except Junebug, he's the only lawyer in the US who is an expert in every area of the law.

You aren’t interpreting that scenario correctly. Prison is conceptually intended to rehabilitate criminals so that they can eventually be reintroduced to society. A person who doesn’t understand right and wrong can’t be rehabilitated and by that understanding it would be cruel for the state to force them into rehabilitative incarceration. The very very few people who successfully plea insanity are institutionalized for the rest of their lives.

John Hinckley says hello

You should definitely doubt that, particularly when lawyers start talking about areas of the law in which they don't practice or are JH. People think lawyers know the answer to every type of legal question, but that's like asking a proctologist to perform open heart surgery. Ask me a hard ERISA question and I have no fucking clue.

Except Junebug, he's the only lawyer in the US who is an expert in every area of the law.

One of these days I've got to meet the people who like you. I have many questions.

imagine living in a country where more than 170 school shootings (and rising - including six active shooter situations) have occurred during 2021 and you still think owning the libs and screaming about your freedumbs is more important that protecting children.

Your pro-life party everyone!

We literally have a 1300 page thread on this forum with numerous examples.

We recently had a shooting at Mt. Tabor in Winston where the narrative about culture of violence was prevalent.

This means nothing unless there is some reason that makes that narrative inappropriate in that situation. Do you feel like the narrative should have been about mental illness in that case? Why or why not? Sometimes the narrative SHOULD be about the culture of violence - I don't know enough about that case to have an opinion.

We all deal with mental health challenges and we all live in a violent US culture.

Back