• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Originalism's intellectual underpinnings are simple to state: the guiding principle is a quest for the original meaning of the document as applied to contemporary times. It's very different from textualism or literalism--under the former, Congress could regulate commerce between only two states (because the Commerce Clause provides Congress the authority to regulate commerce "among" the states) and under the latter, we'd have to have a constitutional amendment to have an air force (because the constitution doesn't contemplate the existence of aircraft). Whether it's easy to determine the original meaning of any particular constitutional provision is a different matter, but with Originalism, at least we know what we are looking for.

Not only are Originalism's intellectual underpinnings cogent, I would argue that Originalism is the only hermeneutic that is consistent with the point of having a written constitution in the first place. Any other interpretive method--pragmatism, libertarianism, liberalism, etc.--subverts constitutional principles for those called for by the method itself. In this way, all other interpretive methods are, at some level, themselves unconstitutional.

Sure. It's a quest. And when somebody says, "the founding fathers would say X" it's their opinion, not fact. That's why justices write opinions.

I hope it's an elaborate troll. I think he's just a guy who really loves his guns.

No, I just enjoy exercising my enumerated rights. Should be a fun Sunday afternoon busting clays in Lehigh Valley PA with Joe Biden's preferred choice of arms for home defense...

And no one is proposing this stop. Background checks on every sale or transfer, eliminating the gun show loophole, getting rid of expanded magazines and even a registry like there is for cars or voting would not in any way deny you your enumerated rights. To say any of the above would is simply brainwashed rhetoric to protect the profits of gun companies, the ability of felons to buys guns from legitimate sources and sellers' ability to arm anyone who has cash.

And no one is proposing this stop. Background checks on every sale or transfer, eliminating the gun show loophole, getting rid of expanded magazines and even a registry like there is for cars or voting would not in any way deny you your enumerated rights. To say any of the above would is simply brainwashed rhetoric to protect the profits of gun companies, the ability of felons to buys guns from legitimate sources and sellers' ability to arm anyone who has cash.

Are you really back with the "gun show loophole" phrase? Even our idiot politicians have moved on to the "private sale" loophole, please keep up.

The fact that you mentioned voting is a farce since you do not believe anyone should show ID to vote.

Felons buying guns from legitimate sources? Come on, man. The phrases you keep using are why Feinstein's amendment to the Manchin-Toomey bill went down 60 to 40. No one except a core of anti gun politicians believes those statements.

The current administration had the CDC run a study on guns, crime, gun violence, etc. The fact that the current admin did not crow about the results is telling. Maybe the results did not fit the narrative?

Looks like I got my answer. Only a troll revives a dead thread with 4 posts spread out over 20 hours with only one post in between.

Are you really back with the "gun show loophole" phrase? Even our idiot politicians have moved on to the "private sale" loophole, please keep up.

The fact that you mentioned voting is a farce since you do not believe anyone should show ID to vote.

Felons buying guns from legitimate sources? Come on, man. The phrases you keep using are why Feinstein's amendment to the Manchin-Toomey bill went down 60 to 40. No one except a core of anti gun politicians believes those statements.

The current administration had the CDC run a study on guns, crime, gun violence, etc. The fact that the current admin did not crow about the results is telling. Maybe the results did not fit the narrative?

Felons absolutely buy guns from legitimate sources EVERY day. They can buy them from private sellers anywhere, any time. To say they can't is a lie.

I didn't say anything about ID's. All I said you have to register to vote and to own a car. Registering to buy a gun in no way keeps you from "keeping and bearing arms" Well, unless you are a criminal.

In each of these you support protecting criminals' ability to get weapons.

another voice supporting allowing felons to buy guns...and justifying with a boogeyman.

another voice supporting allowing felons to buy guns...and justifying with a boogeyman.

Hmm... I equated being allowed to vote with the right to purchase a gun. I'm OK with convicted felons having the right to do neither. Are you?

But you don't want every sale checked to keep felons from being able to buy guns at gunshows or from private sellers.

Gun advocates had planned to hold a "Starbucks Appreciation Day" rally at the Newtown Starbucks today (they allow customers to open carry inside stores in states where it is legal), but the Newtown location closed early after catching wind of the event.

Dear Customers, At Starbucks we are proud that our stores serve as gathering places for thousands of communities across the country and we appreciate that our customers share diverse points of view on issues that matter to them. We also believe in being sensitive to each community we serve.
Today, advocacy groups from different sides of the open carry debate announced plans to visit our Newtown, Connecticut store to bring attention to their points of view. We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding this topic, however out of respect for Newtown and everything the community has been through we decided to close our store early before the event started. Starbucks did not endorse or sponsor the event. We continue to encourage customers and advocacy groups from all sides of the debate to contact their elected officials, who make the open carry laws that our company follows. Our long-standing approach to this topic has been to comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve.
Thank you for your understanding and respect for the Newtown community.

Sincerely,
Chris Carr
executive vice president, U.S. Retail

969256_644749458869344_319641482_n.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/gun-advocates-newtown-starbucks_n_3731542.html

Back