• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I will. His 3rd birthday is coming up in less than a month. As far as a theme goes, I guess we'll just stick with trains. This little motherfucker still LOVES himself some trains. I think he might actually invent that train from Snowpiercer.

I will. His 3rd birthday is coming up in less than a month. As far as a theme goes, I guess we'll just stick with trains. This little motherfucker still LOVES himself some trains. I think he might actually invent that train from Snowpiercer.

plant the seed for monorail development...

Latest question of the do we need it variety. Baby monitor. Should we buy one of the more expensive video models that can pan and zoom which would cost $150 or more for a decent one? Go for a more simple video monitor? Just stick with a basic audio only?

We live in a small 2 bedroom one story house fwiw. First kid so will probably be a bit psycho the first couple months checking on whether the kid is still breathing which is why I am leaning toward getting a decent video model.

The reviews on amazon are all so mixed it's driving me crazy.

Decent video model for peace of mind. You don't want to be scared you may miss a sound. You don't want to overreact to nothing.

We started with audio only but switched to video and were very happy with the switch. With our daughter it was easier to tell with the video when it was a "cry it out" type cry or a "oh shit, she's really jacked up right now" type of cry.

you don't need a monitor in a house that small. you'll know when you're needed, trust me

Omg had Birdie's 4th bday party today and hired a magician. Best money I've ever spent. If you are in Triangle area look up Happy Dan. He was awesome and the kids freaking loved him.

Thought you lived in the Triad now. Happy Dan had a long drive.

Having a video monitor is very nice. Esp for a first time parent. You need to know the difference between a cry for need and a cry for just being a baby. After a while, you will know based on sound, but at the beginning, it is so nice to be able to pop on the video and have a look.

Latest question of the do we need it variety. Baby monitor. Should we buy one of the more expensive video models that can pan and zoom which would cost $150 or more for a decent one? Go for a more simple video monitor? Just stick with a basic audio only?

We live in a small 2 bedroom one story house fwiw. First kid so will probably be a bit psycho the first couple months checking on whether the kid is still breathing which is why I am leaning toward getting a decent video model.

The reviews on amazon are all so mixed it's driving me crazy.

We never used a video one, but do whatever is going to let you sleep easy(ish) at night. We went audio only for kid one, audio + motion detector for kid two, and won't be surprised if we end up with video for kid three, now that we're in a much larger house.

don't rule out caffeine pills for simply staying awake and staring at your child all night

We got the motion+audio kind but haven't used it yet since he's still sleeping in a bassinet in our room. I could see wishing we had the video but there didn't seem to be a ton of video+motion and I wanted the motion more.

We got the motion+audio kind but haven't used it yet since he's still sleeping in a bassinet in our room. I could see wishing we had the video but there didn't seem to be a ton of video+motion and I wanted the motion more.

Yeah, the motion is the most important part of the equation. If you trust it(we do; it went off a couple times and startled the baby too when he was <1 y/o), that's all you need. The video would just distract me, but different strokes for different folks and all.

We didn't get video and have been fine. I had a friend who was obsessed with watching her kids sleep. We haven't missed any sounds that need addressing and since our kids room share to 6-12mos, we weren't concerned about the motion one (and we had friends who found it was too sensitive).

Any tips for toddlers who can't sleep with colds? Our pediatrician said that cold medicine doesn't really work for congestion so we just do tylenol.

Will do bath right before bed. Tried to elevate him last night, but he doesn't sleep well at all.

tips?

re: monitor

We're really happy with our video one (Motorola of some sort), but we honestly didn't use it that much until a few months in. For the first three months she slept in the rock n play in our room, and frequently either napped in that, on us, in the pack n play, etc.

And at this point we actually don't use the monitor at night once we're upstairs and in bed (we can hear her fine from our room). What we do use the monitor for us during naps and then between when she goes to bed (7ish) and when we go to bed (10-11ish). As others have said, it can help when you hear cries/noise/movement to be able to check and see if she's really awake and wanting to get up vs just moving around and re-settling or something.

All that said, we do have a 3 bedroom, 2-story house with a basement and yard. It's not huge (i.e. we could probably still hear her cries ok from her room to our living room), but it is helpful if we're in the basement or out doing yard work or something. We also discovered the signal held from our ocean front beach house down to the beach when we were on vacation, which was pretty sweet.

Rub Vicks Vaporub on their feet and chest. Also Vicks sells these tabs that fit into most humidifiers that seems to help.

Back