• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bz Radio Show Tonight

A question was asked about the current coaching staff and [Redacted] commented on every assistant coach except Jeff Battle. This prompted me to ask about the threat of Battle leaving in the past couple of years and if that still might be a problem, to which Buzz responded "Nobody is bigger than the program and there are a lot of great assistants out there."

Looks like Battle may be out.

Just talked to someone who was there tonight who said this was not said. Anyone know if this was said?

Yes, he did use the term jerks. A lot. Like I'm pretty sure he said it at least ten times.

As to my thoughts on his comments about Battle, I didn't read too much into them. He didn't really sound like he wanted Battle out or that he was having problems with him. As far as I can tell, [Redacted] doesn't like that Battle gets a lot of credit for recruiting, especially with Shelton Mitchell, when our recruiting is something Bz can point to as stuff he is doing that is productive. I also am sure there is some type of tension because Battle is really the top dog of this coaching staff that was left intact after Dino got fired, but Bz is the head coach. I'm sure Battle doesn't openly step on his toes because he just seems like the type of guy that is respectful enough to not undermine Bz, but I'm sure there is at least some of it in the atmosphere that the staff knows each other and Bz is the outsider but head coach, but Battle is more of a leader and guy they look to for direction. I personally would give more credit to Battle for recruiting. He probably is following so sort of footprint of Buzz's because of the "character" guys we are going after, but he is a very valuable piece to that success.

As far as Battle leaving, I don't know if he wants to leave, but he could if he wanted to. But he might be good enough that I think he would take a head coaching job at a non-major.

Did he actually say Battle wasn't bigger than the program aand that he was leaving? seems like a strange quote.

I guess all the Battle talk is just conjecture at this point, but I think we all might want to consider what we should do for him if he were to leave under less than desirable terms.

Jeff Battle is one of the classiest and most honorable men I've met in my lifetime, it would be a shame to see him leave the university (and the memories he would carry with him) on a sour note. If it were to happen, though, it would be extremely important for us, as a fan-base and as individuals, to all find some appropriate gestures to express our gratitude for his years he and his family have dedicated to Wake Forest.

He never said he was leaving. He did say that "no one" (not specifically Battle) is bigger than the program, that he is a great assistant, etc.

The "jerks" comment needs its own thread. What a complete douche.

For all the pseudo military tough guy bullshit stuff [Redacted] tries to pull, let me say definitively that the military (even the Navy) would eat him alive. It's a no excuse culture. He'd never last. (Don't get me started on uniforms and Bzz's tie length ...)

That makes more sense. I've heard that Bz loves Battle and he realizes that Battle is the one holding his sinking ship together.

For all the pseudo military tough guy bullshit stuff [Redacted] tries to pull, let me say definitively that the military (even the Navy) would eat him alive. It's a no excuse culture. He'd never last. (Don't get me started on uniforms and Bzz's tie length ...)

[Redacted] trying to ''toughen'' these players up is equivalent to Madoff teaching a business ethics course. How can a wet noodle little man possibly teach toughness to a bunch of athletes. Bzz has never had any superior tell him, ''you failed your fired'' thus we are left with a pathetic little man who thinks hes skmething that he is not.

Oh I almost forgot. Someone asked him what it was like to coach Carmelo Anthony

His response: "He won me a lot of games"

s_bzdelik_i.jpg

Students don't give a fuck if players are "jerks" they want to see winning teams. Period.

Students don't give a fuck if players are "jerks" they want to see winning teams. Period.

A winning team certainly made up for the players that I knew who were jerks. Also didn't hurt that the biggest jerk from when I was in school was the last scholarship player off the bench.

The only player that I can think of that was a "jerk" was Dick Joyce.

All of you are just glottons for punishment. Why do you do this to yourselves?

Back