• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I'm late to the party on this thread and may be the only one interested in this issue:
Anyone aware of the status of CON (certificate of need) debate going on within the NC Senate?

I'm late to the party on this thread and may be the only one interested in this issue:
Anyone aware of the status of CON (certificate of need) debate going on within the NC Senate?

Ha. I'm job searching now and a potential fantastic opportunity is being held up by a challenge to a CON filing in SC :(

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article29495023.html

Several top Republican lawmakers say they likely won’t reach a budget deal by an Aug. 14 deadline – a delay that will prolong uncertainty for public schools and other agencies that depend on state funding.

Since the last fiscal year ended June 30, the state has been operating under a temporary budget that keeps government running at current spending levels.

But the House and Senate budget writers tasked with negotiating a permanent spending agreement haven’t met yet, prompting a rebuke from Senate Rules Chairman Tom Apodaca during a floor speech Wednesday.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article29495023.html#storylink=cpy

11825672_432890080246919_7118495573081939612_n.png

If my math is right (dubious) and we're spending $249 less per student, that would be just under $15M total reduction in overall budget. Yet we've cut textbook spending $50M and teacher assistant funding $337.5M, where has all that money gone? (Certainly not to pay teachers more).

If my math is right (dubious) and we're spending $249 less per student, that would be just under $15M total reduction in overall budget. Yet we've cut textbook spending $50M and teacher assistant funding $337.5M, where has all that money gone? (Certainly not to pay teachers more).

Supposedly the teacher pay increase accounts for part of it, but the legislature claims that Medicaid cost overruns is the main culprit (ya know, the thing that the GOP has been claiming they will fix since they took over three years ago). That doesn't really account for the budget surplus they're claiming as proof of concept as a means of making permanent tax cuts.

I assume part of the drop in textbook funding (and corresponding per student funding) is because they are phasing out textbooks. The school my kid is starting at this year doesn't have textbooks, everything is electronic. Obviously there is a cost associated with that somewhere, but given the obvious intended slant of the chart I would question whether it is accurately represented (and if it is, then that is probably a good thing).

How fucked up is it that a state completely dominated by 'pubs can't agree on a budget.

YOU HAVE A VETO-PROOF MAJORITY IN BOTH HOUSES. JUST PASS A DAMN BUDGET!

How fucked up is it that a state completely dominated by 'pubs can't agree on a budget.

YOU HAVE A VETO-PROOF MAJORITY IN BOTH HOUSES. JUST PASS A DAMN BUDGET!

It's kind of the perfect example of Tea Party vs the World.

I assume part of the drop in textbook funding (and corresponding per student funding) is because they are phasing out textbooks. The school my kid is starting at this year doesn't have textbooks, everything is electronic. Obviously there is a cost associated with that somewhere, but given the obvious intended slant of the chart I would question whether it is accurately represented (and if it is, then that is probably a good thing).

The Textbook racket is another issue altogether. John Oliver has a good piece on this.

It's weird how many Republicans don't understand how Republicans view public education.

Both are true.

That's a pretty light touch with the Greensboro homerism there. I thought she was the most hated person in the McCrory administration.

Back