• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

You are missing the point. I am not focusing on bubble test standards at all. I am not blaming them or giving them credit, I do not care about them. My point is that in the bottom schools, kids are not getting out with basic reading and math skills. That is not the fault of testing or standards or bubbles or anything but the schools, the parents, and the kids. Is there any general attendance public school in the state whose curriculum does not include basic reading and math? If not, then there is no excuse for not teaching it and learning it. Other than that the teachers suck and/or the parents suck. It has nothing to do with bubbles or impoverishment or wealth or whatever is going on in Raleigh.

You are an idiot

You are missing the point. I am not focusing on bubble test standards at all. I am not blaming them or giving them credit, I do not care about them. My point is that in the bottom schools, kids are not getting out with basic reading and math skills. That is not the fault of testing or standards or bubbles or anything but the schools, the parents, and the kids. Is there any general attendance public school in the state whose curriculum does not include basic reading and math? If not, then there is no excuse for not teaching it and learning it. Other than that the teachers suck and/or the parents suck. It has nothing to do with bubbles or impoverishment or wealth or whatever is going on in Raleigh.

You try being a kid who lives in a shack with 12 other people that has a dirt floor, holes in the walls, no food to eat, no clothes to wear, and gunshots that ring through the night and tell me how easy it is to focus on learning how to read.

You try being a kid who lives in a shack with 12 other people that has a dirt floor, holes in the walls, no food to eat, no clothes to wear, and gunshots that ring through the night and tell me how easy it is to focus on learning how to read.

So in other words, the parents suck. As I said.

You can be the best teacher in the world and not "succeed" at certain schools in the state given what you have to deal with relative to other schools. Anecdotally, I student taught at Parkland my senior year, and the issues those students AND teachers face (at least 7 years ago) dwarfs some other schools in the area. We had half of first period failing based on attendance within a month of the semester beginning (school policy was automatic F once you missed six days unless you made up classes on the weekend). Try to keep 15 year olds who have an auto F by February continue to try in May.

2&2 says that we've been teaching children to read and write for centuries. Of course we have, what he fails to acknowledge is that we haven't been teaching EVERY child to read and write for centuries, and we certainly haven't held ALL students to improvement standards. The current disparity that we have is at least a sign that we intend to provide an equal education which is a relatively recent change.

Last edited:
I called it! Can't blame the teachers, can't blame the students, can't blame the parents. So who is left to blame? Blame the bubble tests! Yes!
Listen, is not being able to read or add the fault of a bubble test? No, it isn't. Sorry to say, but people have been learning to do those two simple things without "more resources" for centuries. As much as they don't want to hear it, it is the combined fault of the teachers, students, and parents. And until we recognize that pointing the finger at bubble tests isn't going to fix those basic problems, nothing is going to get fixed.

You can teach a kid to read and add with, without, and/or regardless of bubble tests. So no matter how much blame you want to throw on the NCLB and the bubble tests, the teachers are with the kids for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 8 months a year. If they can't do those things then the teachers suck and the parents suck. End of story.

So in other words, the parents suck. As I said.

No you said the teachers suck.

See above.

2&2 is dead wrong here saying that the bubble tests are not to blame.

If only poor schools are failing these standards, then its safe to say that these standards aren't accurate or reasonable metrics to measure the performance of those poor schools. Firing teachers, shutting down schools, cutting funding, none of that helps students succeed. Its just punting, kicking the can.

Still wondering how often 2&2 gives bubble tests to his employees.

2&2 is dead wrong here saying that the bubble tests are not to blame.

If only poor schools are failing these standards, then its safe to say that these standards aren't accurate or reasonable metrics to measure the performance of those poor schools. Firing teachers, shutting down schools, cutting funding, none of that helps students succeed. Its just punting, kicking the can.

So you are happy with the performance of our poorer public schools? Okay, nothing to see here, education is fine as-is. Let's move on to the next issue.

So you are happy with the performance of our poorer public schools? Okay, nothing to see here, education is fine as-is. Let's move on to the next issue.

Imagine going up to someone whose car has broken down on the side of the road and asking if their car is fine as-is and then, when they say "no of course not you fucking idiot", slashing the tires and walking away. That's basically the NC Republican approach to education

So, in conclusion:

1) Fire those crappy teachers. All of them.
2) Fire those crappy parents. Or something.
3) Bootstraps
4) ????
5) Profit

Now, if we can find a way to skip straight to step 5, who gives a shit about those dumbass kids, amirite?

Imagine going up to someone whose car has broken down on the side of the road and asking if their car is fine as-is and then, when they say "no of course not you fucking idiot", slashing the tires and walking away. That's basically the NC Republican approach to education

Nobody actually believes NC Republicans want poor minority kids to get a good education. They do make a good excuse to divert taxpayer money to private companies and religious organizations to run schools before lining the kids up for private prisons and saying "We did what we good. Those people just can't be helped."

Back