• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Just read through this thread in the airport. Holy shit.

If 2&2 and JHMD are a representation of the current mindset of the "leaders" in Raleigh then the state is beyond saving. Just turn it back into a giant plantation and move on. Because the kids at the bottom are fucked.

Maybe a compulsory abortion law could fix it? Like, if your yearly combined family income is under $50K then it's illegal to have a kid. That might work.

Because the poors are never going to succeed. You know with their bad genes and all. They will always be just a step above indentured servants.

And I'm little concerned that is the actual goal. Keep 'em dumb. It's easier to keep wages down when they don't know that they should expect more.

why are you are you in the airport? have you been on a trip or something?

if she asked you to bring something back then you should already know it

Just read through this thread in the airport. Holy shit.

If 2&2 and JHMD are a representation of the current mindset of the "leaders" in Raleigh then the state is beyond saving. Just turn it back into a giant plantation and move on. Because the kids at the bottom are fucked.

Maybe a compulsory abortion law could fix it? Like, if your yearly combined family income is under $50K then it's illegal to have a kid. That might work.

When your party fights to defend this "right", you don't get to make sarcastic posts about how the barbaric practice you defend with a straight face could be abused. Get right with The Giant Magnet, Brasky.

Because the poors are never going to succeed. You know with their bad genes and all. They will always be just a step above indentured servants.

Since Brasky's party actually believes this, he wants to provide cyclical dependency programs keeping people not-quite-starving at the subsistence level. You promised to always need this garbage, and Big Dems will promise to always provide. No need to trust people to raise, educate, feed and lead their own children. That's why we have Big Government, right Brasky?

And I'm little concerned that is the actual goal. Keep 'em dumb. It's easier to keep wages down when they don't know that they should expect more.

Says the party who clings to failing public school systems and opposes innovation (charter) and stakeholder involvement (choice) like Danny Boone defending the Alamo (and will probably experience the same level of success).

The projection in this post is astounding. Methinks a guilty conscience posts from the airport on his phone. A debunking we shall go...

Public schools aren't failing most students. Only the poorest students who keep getting punished under high stakes testing, who you don't believe should get more resources from the state to address what they're not getting at home.

Public schools aren't failing most students. Only the poorest students who keep getting punished under high stakes testing, who you don't believe should get more resources from the state to address what they're not getting at home.

I want them to get to choose the school where they would be best served, because I trust their judgment for their kids over yours. You apparently know what's best for them and don't want them to have any say in the matter of their own children's education. Because how could their judgment compare to yours?

Besides, everybody knows that you don't show your confidence and respect for someone until you tell them they you don't think they know what's best for raising their children and that you know better than they. That's the epicenter of respect, dignity and compassion.

Last edited:
School choice is a way to segregate schools.

School choice is a way to segregate schools.

Why do you think that? Even if your profound lack of faith in your fellow man is proven out, it would also be the quickest way to get yourself out of a segregated school. Your trust in the judgment of middle management over parents is hard to fathom.

Ironically, your paternalistic approach cuts bait on parents.

If bussing to integrate schools were this magic elixir, should we still be having this debate in year 40? The first kids bussed around have grandchildren on those same bus routes. How's that going?

Last edited:
Rather than trade five more gotcha posts, ph: what would the biggest hurdles be to giving poorer families (of any corporal hue) meaningful choice?

If I may answer my own question, it would be more charter schools (casting a wider net of innovation), not less. If lack of choice within a choice system is the complaint, why does the left oppose growth of alternative options by fighting for hard caps? Honestly, help me understand the "safe, legal and rare" position on charters.

See if you can figure out what the highest ranked high schools in North Carolina have in common...http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/north-carolina/rankings?int=990108

Every time I hear how much my fellow Pubs and I hate kids/education, I think of this list. Sorry for partying. Were life fair, Brasky would get a job offer at one, accept it, and write me a tear-soaked, handwritten apology one day. Until then, I hopes he keeps bagging redcoats and dodging canings in the last throws of his Hemingway period. I'm genuinely pulling for the guy.

Last edited:
Parents want good neighborhood schools.

The highest ranked schools are the ones that the top students choose to attend. How does that help the poorest kids? Give me a list that controls for demographic factors. Give me a list that looks at individual student gains. You're justifying a flawed strategy with flawed metrics. A list in which the top publics are in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School System which is intentionally segregated from Orange County School System makes my point.

As far as choice, introducing competition between public schools only serves to ensure some schools will be at the bottom and less able to fulfill their mission. It doesn't serve to educate all kids. You don't want principals from the top schools poaching teachers from lower performing schools in order to boost their scores. That does not help.

Last edited:
since you're using these few charters and magnets as your prime evidence, care to break down the SES percentages at these schools? Go ahead and skip Woods because I'm familiar with it, and it doesn't support your argument.

since you're using these few charters and magnets as your prime evidence, care to break down the SES percentages at these schools? Go ahead and skip Woods because I'm familiar with it, and it doesn't support your argument.

Then you don't understand my argument, and have worked hard to get that point of deliberate misunderstanding. Please answer my question first. The scarcity you complain of is courtesy of the people who oppose expanding on these successes. Please explain why you would oppose trying more of something that is clearly working.

eta: the thing you guys keep opposing keeps working. Swallow a little pride (I'm sure they'll be plenty leftover) on behalf of the kids you claim to be looking out for and let's make this thing a little better for everybody. If Big Public Education feels a little threatened, nobody is stopping them from stepping their own game up and proving you right and me wrong.

Last edited:
because black parents won't pick white schools?

More that black parents need to pick schools that fit their work schedules. They're less able to pick schools a long distance away or don't fit into their work commute. Not everybody has the flexibility that school choice systems favor.

Then you don't understand my argument, and have worked hard to get that point of deliberate misunderstanding. Please answer my question first. The scarcity you complain of is courtesy of the people who oppose expanding on these successes. Please explain why you would oppose trying more of something that is clearly working.

eta: the thing you guys keep opposing keeps working. Swallow a little pride (I'm sure they'll be plenty leftover) on behalf of the kids you claim to be looking out for and let's make this thing a little better for everybody. If Big Public Education feels a little threatened, nobody is stopping them from stepping their own game up and proving you right and me wrong.

Republicans run Big Public Education. No Child Left Behind is the federal law of the land for Big Public Education.

Republicans run Big Public Education. No Child Left Behind is the federal law of the land for Big Public Education.

Well, shit. For a second there I thought you wanted to have a conversation, and then came back with a vintage Ph "Republicans love identity politics"-level blast. Maybe next time.

More that black parents need to pick schools that fit their work schedules. They're less able to pick schools a long distance away or don't fit into their work commute. Not everybody has the flexibility that school choice systems favor.

SO LET'S BUILD MORE OF THEM CLOSER TO WHERE THEY LIVE.

Charters like Woods enroll the students whose parents apply, just like a private school. The "choice" you speak of doesn't apply to Chatham county. As I've posted on here before, 2/3 of the parents in Chatham county probably don't even know Woods exists, and they couldn't all "choose" it even if they did.

There are already schools where they live. They're the schools you want people not to choose.

Back