• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Oh good.

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/cla...cle_06fe1f66-f507-11e5-8143-6baf03eff8b5.html

Statement from the Executive Committee of the High Point Market Authority

High Point, NC, March 28, 2016 — In the last few days, dozens of customers have contacted the High Point Market Authority to inform us that they have cancelled plans to attend the Market in April due to passage of HB2. There are also several campaigns on social media calling for a boycott of the High Point Market this spring.

As leaders and organizers of the High Point Market, we feel an obligation to inform the public and our government leaders in Raleigh of the significant economic damage that HB2 is having on the High Point Market and on the North Carolina economy. Based on the reaction in just the last few days, hundreds and perhaps thousands of our customers will not attend Market this April.

We would like to take this opportunity to clearly state that the High Point Market does not discriminate, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. In fact, we embrace all of our attendees and believe that the diversity of the 75,000 people who attend Market is one of our greatest assets and strengths.

We also greatly appreciate our partners in Raleigh in both the executive and legislative branches who have worked to strengthen the High Point Market in recent years and who provide us with a significant portion of our budget. We believe it is vital for them to be kept informed of the public’s reaction to HB2, and to the significant economic damage that this controversy is causing.

We also feel an obligation to inform all of the Market’s stakeholders about this legislation and its impact. Our most important stakeholders are our buyers, including both retailers and designers. Other stakeholders include roughly 2000 exhibitors, over 100 landlords, the City of High Point and its citizens and the people and businesses in surrounding communities – many of whom owe their jobs to the economic activity generated by the High Point Market.

According to an economic impact study conducted by Duke University in 2013, the High Point Market is the largest economic event in the State of North Carolina each year. The Market has an annual economic impact of $5.38 billion and generates over 600,000 visitor days to the state each year. The Market and the home furnishings industry in North Carolina are responsible for over 37,000 jobs in our great state.

That seems weird, because the McCrory release said that recruiting jobs wouldn't be a problem.

Posted here for ease of reading:

18. Is North Carolina at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting jobs because it does not have ordinances like the one Charlotte was proposing?

Answer: No. In fact in the last 3 years without an ordinance like this, North Carolina has created the 6th most jobs in the country – over 260,000 net new jobs. We know of no examples of companies being recruited to North Carolina that have asked if the state has an ordinance like the one Charlotte was proposing.

I've finally had it with the Democratic Party. This push they are making to eliminate all restrictions on the use of public restrooms & showers, etc is the last straw. And I'm not religious at all. I haven't attended a Sunday church service since June, 1968, the Sunday after RFK was assassinated. However, I have a 12-year old granddaughter. Do you think I want to have a situation where strange men could be taking a shower with her if she went to the local YMCA?

You can say that's not what this is about....but that's what it would come to eventually, if there are no restrictions on the use of these facilities. Yes, in the beginning there would only be a few of opposite sex uses of the facilities because they would be noticed due to their rarity....but gradually, as people became more used to it and there were fewer "raised eyes" when it happened, it would eventually become a situation of convenience. Many people would no longer even think of the facilities as "men's" or "women's" rooms. Many people would simply go to the nearest one, or the one with the shortest wait. Then, once there was widespread cross-use by the public and many people were paying little or no attention to it, people with less than honorable intentions would be able to easily use opposite sex facilities unimpeded. The entire idea is simply insane.

Those of you who think that there should be no restrictions to strange men being allowed to take a shower with my 12-year old granddaughter in a YMCA dressing room are crazy and can go straight to hell, as far as I am concerned. You are disgusting people whose youthful, arrogant ignorance is nauseating. And this is not a straw man argument. You think you have noble intentions here, but once you support the removal of all restrictions on the use of these facilities, you have no control over what happens as a result of that.

If this is what the Democratic Party supports today, I want no part of it. I've voted Republican before...and I can go back to doing it again.

45705d1358793620-old-west-gun-control-well-bye.jpg

And just so people are aware - the HP Market brings 150,000 visitors a year and a contribution of $5.4B to the area economy.

Howard Dean would surely support this law. Because, Hillary Clinton.

Howard Dean went to Clinton's campaign headquarters in NYC on last night's episode of The Circus rallying morale for the foot soldiers. Even made a self-deprecating joke about the Dean Scream. Odd for somebody to do considering he was OBVIOUSLY targeted by Hillary Clinton herself in 2004.

And just so people are aware - the HP Market brings 150,000 visitors a year and a contribution of $5.4B to the area economy.
It's also a huge sex trafficking hub, but's neither here nor there I suppose.

Wow, who could have seen BKF's turn away from the Democratic Party coming? It's not like he's been sensuously sucking Trump's tiny fingers for the past couple of months. This is an even bigger shock that when he turned against Wake Forest!

We've never seen BKF just quit on something before when he gets upset. THIS IS SO UNLIKE HIM!

This would be a good time I suppose to put in a plug for the show Transparent, available to stream on Amazon. Damn good show.

Casually mentioned to a friend of a friend in 2005 that I'd recently seen a Springsteen show. She gushed about being a Springsteen super fan, but was extremely disappointed the Bruce had actively campaigned against W in 2004?!? Was kind of amazed that an alleged super fan had no idea what Springsteen's politics were. Not even close where RFK, McGovern, and Dean would be on this legislation.

Lawsuit filed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-carolina-sued-over-transgender-bathroom-law/

RALEIGH, North Carolina - Two transgender people and a lesbian law school professor filed a federal lawsuit Monday to challenge a new North Carolina law that blocks local governments from passing anti-discrimination rules and requiring transgender students to use bathrooms assigned to their biological sex.

The three people, along with several civil liberties groups, wasted little time challenging the law, which was approved last week by the legislature and signed by Republican Gov. Pat McCrory.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article68354427.html

In his March 16 letter “Freedom, not fear, drives Opportunity Scholarship Program” attempting to defend North Carolina’s private school voucher program, Darrell Allison implied that the private schools receiving taxpayer subsidy are held accountable for educating these voucher students because they are required to test the students and report test results and graduation rates.

What he failed to disclose is that those requirements are a sham. There are no restrictions as to the quality, scope or substance of those tests, no minimum student achievement parameters and no consistent graduation requirements, all of which combine to make it impossible to accurately measure the quality of education these schools provide.

This is by design, since the goal of the program is not to ensure that students in North Carolina secure the constitutionally required opportunity for a sound basic education, but to undermine public schools.

Additionally, schools receiving taxpayer subsidy do not have to be accredited, nor have any curriculum requirements. These schools are permitted to employ teachers that don’t have any experience, degree, training, credential or be subject to a criminal background check.

We would never accept this lack of oversight or accountability from any other taxpayer-funded program. Why should the education of children be any different?

MARK DOROSIN

MANAGING ATTORNEY, UNC CENTER FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

CHAPEL HILL

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article68354427.html#storylink=cpy

You can say that's not what this is about....but that's what it would come to eventually, if there are no restrictions on the use of these facilities. Yes, in the beginning there would only be a few of opposite sex uses of the facilities because they would be noticed due to their rarity....but gradually, as people became more used to it and there were fewer "raised eyes" when it happened, it would eventually become a situation of convenience. Many people would no longer even think of the facilities as "men's" or "women's" rooms. Many people would simply go to the nearest one, or the one with the shortest wait. Then, once there was widespread cross-use by the public and many people were paying little or no attention to it, people with less than honorable intentions would be able to easily use opposite sex facilities unimpeded. The entire idea is simply insane.

As stated, domino fallacy, but I genuinely want BKF to see the poor logic at work here.

If I use a credit card to buy things, when I get used to using the credit card, I'll buy more than I can afford. When I buy more than I can afford, I'll be unable to pay my bills. And then the next logical step is that the bank will repossess my car. I'll obviously lose my job after that, because I can't get to work. I'll probably end up killing myself due to my new-found debt/depression. All this because of my credit card.

Why does what I wrote above seem foolish? There's no reason to believe that using a credit card will lead to any of the other events. Each causal connection requires a separate causal analysis. You need appropriate evidence that one event in a sequence will lead to another and you neglect to present that here. Conjecture about "rarity" and fewer "raised eyes" is not evidence, just like "getting used" to a credit card or committing suicide from debt isn't.

Those of you who think that there should be no restrictions to strange men being allowed to take a shower with my 12-year old granddaughter in a YMCA dressing room are crazy and can go straight to hell, as far as I am concerned. You are disgusting people whose youthful, arrogant ignorance is nauseating. And this is not a straw man argument. You think you have noble intentions here, but once you support the removal of all restrictions on the use of these facilities, you have no control over what happens as a result of that.

BKF, obviously nobody here wants a strange man to shower with your 12-year old granddaughter in a YMCA dressing room. I think you're oversimplifying and drawing inferences here that are beyond the original scope of the argument, largely a result of your illogical argument in the paragraph above.

BONUS POINTS: The bolded text is a direct/abusive ad hominem, which isn't necessarily fallacious because you're not really impeding the argument. It's just mean. So bonus points for being a poor sport!

If this is what the Democratic Party supports today, I want no part of it. I've voted Republican before...and I can go back to doing it again.

Good luck.

I just came here to say "holy shit, that bkf is a terrible person"

If you cannot understand how the situation would be different if it was perfectly legal for anyone to go into any restroom or public shower, you are too damned stupid for me to waste my time having a conversation with you.

If these arguments are indicative of the education that students are getting at Wake Forest today, there are a lot of parents needlessly pissing away a shitload of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

What a senseless and baseless personal attack. I graduated from a top 25 national university. Did you? No, because this same school was just a regional school when you went. The caliber of students it accepts now is dramatically higher than when you attended.

I've finally had it with the Democratic Party. This push they are making to eliminate all restrictions on the use of public restrooms & showers, etc is the last straw. And I'm not religious at all. I haven't attended a Sunday church service since June, 1968, the Sunday after RFK was assassinated. However, I have a 12-year old granddaughter. Do you think I want to have a situation where strange men could be taking a shower with her if she went to the local YMCA?

SLIPPERY SLOPE

SLIPPERY SLOPE

1. Fall hard for a political candidate.
2. Candidate doesn't win.
3. Blame conspiracy by candidate's party.
4. Hold grudge for more than a decade.
5. Refuse to vote party's nominee because of grudge.
6. Choose to vote for opposing party's nominee.
7. Support opposing party's nominee.
8. Abandon original party.
9. Campaign for Donald Trump.

Back