• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

That is not a rebuttal of the argument, nor is it a defense of your point. You've basically turned a broken government promise regarding labor practice into a charitable cause that people can choose not to support.

The government breaks it's "promises" all the time. Take matters into your own hands and donate to the charitable cause of your choice. It is more rewarding than trying to force your neighbor to do it for you.

tjcmd, you trust the government to educate your children?

The government breaks it's "promises" all the time. Take matters into your own hands and donate to the charitable cause of your choice. It is more rewarding than trying to force your neighbor to do it for you.

Hey libertroll, if you feel so strongly about dismantling our government, why don't you go ahead and move someplace where your dream is a reality?
images

These fellows would love to have you, and you can report back on how good it is in your libertarian paradise.

al-Shabaab_2116583b.jpg

That I really don't get. Why are the Tea Partiers so adamant about continuing to be at odds with teachers? What is there to gain at this point? Businesses have been pretty vocal about wanting to improve education and teaching in this state due to their need for a well educated work force...McCrory himself seems to be coming around...why are Berger and his merry band still on this crusade of theirs?

There is a lot of money in being against teacher's unions. The truth that they are not a factor in NC is inconsequential.

http://www.nclm.org/legislative-adv...t=b431d83a-0059-4b54-b8aa-9382b5120a9a&id=435

However, a section on Page 25 limits the increase in property tax revenues for a city to “no more than eight percent (8%) from the city property tax revenues for the prior fiscal year.” This broadly written section would apply to every city in the state, regardless of whether any drilling activities are taking place, and would be North Carolina’s first-ever statutory restriction on the amount of property tax revenues a municipality could collect.

There is a lot of money in being against teacher's unions. The truth that they are not a factor in NC is inconsequential.

The fact that conservatives are against teacher unions that don't even exist shows their real target. Teachers.

The fact that conservatives are against teacher unions that don't even exist shows their real target. Teachers.

I don't even think it's even that complicated. It's about raising money and getting re-elected.

So this is making the media rounds...
http://wunc.org/post/teacher-email-legislators-draws-harsh-reply

Last week, Sarah Wiles, a science teacher in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg Schools with a master's degree and six years' experience, sent an email to every member of the North Carolina General Assembly with the subject line: “I am embarrassed to confess: I am a teacher.” That email is below.
Monday morning, Sen. David Curtis, a Republican from Denver, NC, replied (actually “reply all” as it went to every member of the General Assembly.) And it’s a message that is sure to get some attention from public-school advocates.

You won't be surprised that a member of the NC GOP has no idea that teachers don't get 8 weeks paid vacation or that there is no teachers union in NC.

I believe there technically is a teachers union in NC (NCAE) but they have no collective bargaining rights.

I believe there technically is a teachers union in NC (NCAE) but they have no collective bargaining rights.

This is true. As far as I know, NC doesn't afford any public sector workers the right to collectively bargain.

All the NCAE does is provide legal counsel to teachers in NC. So basically the GOP is bitching about teachers having legal representation instead if just living with whatever shitty legislation they come up with subserviently.

$16,000 contributed annually by the state toward a teacher's retirement plan. Holy shit. I bet the health contributions are much better than the private sector too. Leads me to believe that teachers are not undercompensated, at least not materially. If teachers want a larger paycheck, they need to lobby for a 6% defined contribution retirement plan and a high deductible health savings plan with the savings funnelled into salary.

$16,000 contributed annually by the state toward a teacher's retirement plan. Holy shit. I bet the health contributions are much better than the private sector too. Leads me to believe that teachers are not undercompensated, at least not materially. If teachers want a larger paycheck, they need to lobby for a 6% defined contribution retirement plan and a high deductible health savings plan with the savings funnelled into salary.

You realize that teachers are leaving NC to take the exact same job in other states because the pay is better, right?

Back